WinTV-HVR-2250 IR Hardware Not Found in WMC

Help with tuners from ATI, Hauppauge, AverMedia and more.
badkarma0007

HTPC Specs: Show details

WinTV-HVR-2250 IR Hardware Not Found in WMC

Post by badkarma0007 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:05 am

Hello all,

Hopefully this won't be long winded but I thought I'd post it for myself for the future I have the Hauppauge 2250 card (the one that came with a remote, I believe it's the media kit one) and I'm using Windows 8 Pro x64. The problem I was facing was that although WinTV v7 2.8a worked I couldn't get Windows Media Center to recognize the IR hardware without getting stuck during the configuration phase of Media Center. So below are the steps that seems to have fixed my issue after fighting with my system for days and lurking through tons of forums on 'IR hardware not found' error.

1. I ran HCWCLEAR
2. Rebooted the pc.
3. Inserted my WinTV v7 cd
4. Ran WinTV7_CD_2.8a.exe from the hard drive that I downloaded from the Hauppauge site
4a. Selected step 1. install drivers
4b. Selected step 2. install WinTV v7
5. When the 'Configure Hauppauge Remote Control Receivers' window pops up, I have two choices,
5a. Select eHome Infrared Receiver (USBCIR)
5b. Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250 (8891).
I selected choices 1 and 2. Then I select OK - Save Changes.
6. Selected reboot now
7. Ran WinTV v7
8. You must Select Analog TV via Set Top Box and I also Selected 'External Inputs (Composite/S-video) BUT I think selecting Select Analog TV via Set Top Box is a definite
9. I Removed check mark from composite (I'm only using S-video to my stb)
10. I Get TV video right off the bat so that's good
11. WinTV remote controller app is running and it's on my taskbar
12. I ran C:\Program Files (x86)\WinTV\BlastCfg.exe just so that I can use WinTV v7 if I want to but since I'm focusing on Microsoft Media Center I don't think I needed to
For what it's worth the version of the Blaster Configuration app is:
12a version 7.3.28312
12b. API=1.0
12c. FW=0.1.0
13. Now if I weren't to do this step. I would be getting that annoying error in Microsoft Media Center about "No IR hardware found", I needed to run the application I downloaded from Hauppauge's site called "Windows Media Center driver installation package" under the support page in the Windows Media Center tab. Now the reason I was struggling with my issue for DAYS is because they state on their page under the NOTE section:[/list]

"NOTE: If WinTV v7 is currently installed and operating, the WinTV Windows Media Center driver is already installed and therefore you do not need to run this installer. For Windows Media Center setup information, see the instructions at the bottom of this page "Setting up your TV tuner in Windows 7 Media Center".

LIES. and I'm pissed off because I luckily only spent days but others have spent WEEKS dealing with this annoying error when they didn't have to. I ran that program:
Name: 28322
Size: 29MB
Updated: 11/18/2010

And to my happiest surprise, Media Center finally recognized my IR Blaster... go figure....

I'm posting this to not only help others but in case I ever have to rebuild my machine, and I'm sure I'll forget these steps, I'll have this post to search for again. hopefully it won't take me days to find it