Media Center not finding ATSC channels; need help with EPG

Help with tuners from ATI, Hauppauge, AverMedia and more.
davew

HTPC Specs: Show details

Media Center not finding ATSC channels; need help with EPG

Post by davew » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:44 am

I run W7 MCE with 2 HVR-1255 tuners. Switched from cable to OTA here in the Brampton, Ontario, Canada area earlier this month. Of course, I run into the issue of MCE not recognizing digital ATSC in Canada. I found and applied pnear's hack for MCE to allow it to scan for the broadcast signals and it found most of what my TV found except 4. They happen to be channels we need and the signals are quite strong, one being 99%. One is only 50%. These being measured by my TV's signal meter.
My question is: Is there a way to improve MCE settings to read these signals? Using an amp, whether masthead or a distribution amp may cause me to drop the strong stations according to my antenna equipment supplier.
Also, the WinTV software when I had it fully loaded it onto my system detected and showed the same channels as on my TV.

I would really like to continue with WMC since my family is well acquainted with it. We've been using it for about 5 years. If I can get this resolved, I'd like to then tackle the bloody EPG mess. If pnear is still around the MCE world it would be nice to get his or anyone else's help. :crazy:
Last edited by davew on Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

davew

Post by davew » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:51 am

Was able to manually enter missing channels through the add channels menu. Still don't know why WMC didn't pick them up during scan.
Now to try and get my EPG to function satisfactorily.

Is there a program available that can allow my EPG to function normally with ATSC in Canada? Maybe something internet based? My reception includes Buffalo, NY and Ontario, Canada OTA stations.
I had downloaded a hack by pnear that had allowed most of the guide to be filled but a on a subsequent channel scan it messed up. If anyone is familiar with this situation I'd appreciate a good starting point. Sorry I can't give details as to what's happening at this moment, I'm away from my system.

blueiedgod

Post by blueiedgod » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:22 pm

Does entering your postal code not pull up EPG?