Activation Required when trying to Play a recorded show

Help with tuners from ATI, Hauppauge, AverMedia and more.
JackatForum

HTPC Specs: Show details

Activation Required when trying to Play a recorded show

Post by JackatForum » Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:54 pm

Ceton, InfiniTV 4, PCI, Windows 7/64 Pro, MG Gigagyte GA78LMT-USB3, AMD fx6300, 4G Ram. Bright house is the provider and there is a TA.

I have had the cable card and InifiTV working for a few months and decided it was time to move it to a HTPC system from a Tower. Bought a Silverstone GD05, new MB, etc.

So now it seems I am going through a another nightmare. (Installing the first).

We can view live TV and can record but cannot play back - gets error Activation Required. You digital device or windows was not activated. (windows was activated).

It did pass the DCA (after I had to buy another Video Card - same one as in the Tower - EVGA 8400GS).

So I called Bright House and again another set of issues with them but they said they 're-booted' it. They did not ask for any pairing info.

Well I still get Activation Required.

Can anyone please tell me what activation is actually required or just how to fix it?

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:43 pm

Activation should have happened within the DCA. You can try to manually start the activation process by navigating to Tasks-->Settings-->TV-->TV Signal-->Activate Digital Cable.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:08 pm

That is Windows Activation. Most likely you don't have an OCUR key installed/it's not activated.
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:08 pm

erkotz wrote:That is Windows Activation. Most likely you don't have an OCUR key installed/it's not activated.
I thought that the point of the DCA was to generate the necessary OCUR key and activate it? That's why you can install an InfiniTV4 in just about any Windows 7 machine, and don't have to buy a PC or motherboard with an OCUR in the BIOS.

http://www.engadget.com/topics/hd/2009/ ... ia-center/
http://www.engadget.com/2009/11/06/micr ... media-cen/

You should be able to check whether there's a valid OCUR key by using the following command at a Command prompt:

Code: Select all

cscript %systemroot%\system32\slmgr.vbs -dlv
http://www.silicondust.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?t=10080

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:22 pm

foxwood wrote:
erkotz wrote:That is Windows Activation. Most likely you don't have an OCUR key installed/it's not activated.
I thought that the point of the DCA was to generate the necessary OCUR key and activate it? That's why you can install an InfiniTV4 in just about any Windows 7 machine, and don't have to buy a PC or motherboard with an OCUR in the BIOS.

http://www.engadget.com/topics/hd/2009/ ... ia-center/
http://www.engadget.com/2009/11/06/micr ... media-cen/

You should be able to check whether there's a valid OCUR key by using the following command at a Command prompt:

Code: Select all

cscript %systemroot%\system32\slmgr.vbs -dlv
http://www.silicondust.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?t=10080
It's supposed to, but I've seen it not do it (or people not run it) for whatever reason.
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:04 pm

Yeah, when I built my HTPC, DCA would NOT enter the key. It would just end, saying that everything is wonderful. It was BECAUSE I had an OCUR BIOS in my motherboard.

I had to run the DCA on another PC to get the activation key, and enter it directly in the registry on my HTPC.

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:30 pm

barnabas1969 wrote:Yeah, when I built my HTPC, DCA would NOT enter the key. It would just end, saying that everything is wonderful. It was BECAUSE I had an OCUR BIOS in my motherboard.

I had to run the DCA on another PC to get the activation key, and enter it directly in the registry on my HTPC.
Are you sure that wasn't under Vista - I thought that issue went away with Win7?

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:12 pm

foxwood wrote:
barnabas1969 wrote:Yeah, when I built my HTPC, DCA would NOT enter the key. It would just end, saying that everything is wonderful. It was BECAUSE I had an OCUR BIOS in my motherboard.

Are you sure that wasn't under Vista - I thought that issue went away with Win7?
It was Win7. I never used Vista.

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:32 pm

barnabas1969 wrote:
foxwood wrote:

It was Win7. I never used Vista.
Yeah, you're right. I just checked my old posts on what used to be the Green Button before MS borged it, and I had to do the OCURPID dance when I got my InfiniTV, because I have an ASUS MB that has an OCUR BIOS.

But the OP says he's using a Gigabyte MB, and I don't remember them having OCUR BIOSes?