Mohu Leaf Antenna + HDHomeRun + 7 year old Sharp?

Help with tuners from ATI, Hauppauge, AverMedia and more.
Skydancer

HTPC Specs: Show details

Mohu Leaf Antenna + HDHomeRun + 7 year old Sharp?

Post by Skydancer » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:04 pm

Hey

I am trying to cut the Comcast umbilical cord and have bought a Mohu Leaf antenna (to be exact: Mohu Leaf Ultimate Amplified Indoor HDTV Antenna). I also have an HD HomeRun dual network tuner which I have been able to scan for the Comcast channels previously, but when I connect the tuner to my leaf antenna and try to scan for channels I only get two Spanish channels which holds no interest for me. Nothing else.

This is when I use the channel scanning in the HDHomeRun software. if I use WMC I find nothing.

Regards
Bo

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:24 pm

If you plug the Antenna into a TV with an ATSC tuner does it pick anything up?

Skydancer

Post by Skydancer » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:15 am

I dont have an ATSC tuner ready so test that (yet). i tried with the digital+to+analog converter I got from comcast for the cable signal but that didn't work (not surprised there really it was a long shot). i suspect a convert is needed, although i found some web references that claimed it should be necesarry.

wrt to WMC and the HDHomeRun tuner though, i Wonder if it expects digital or analog, and if it can tune+in the over+the+air channels.

Bo

dmagerl

Post by dmagerl » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:41 am

how far away are you from the stations? An antenna like that, especially indoors, isnt going to be much good unless you're reasonably close.

Are they VHF or UHF stations? whats your zipcode & city?

dom_ruiz

Post by dom_ruiz » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:30 pm

Yeah, sounds like the tuner might be an issue.

Also, is the Sharp a monitor or a TV? If it's a TV it sounds like it might not be pulling in UHF channels (a setup option) so it might need a factory reset.

Skydancer

Post by Skydancer » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:10 pm

dmagerl wrote:how far away are you from the stations? An antenna like that, especially indoors, isnt going to be much good unless you're reasonably close.

Are they VHF or UHF stations? whats your zipcode & city?
I have no idea where the stations are located.. how can I find out?

I'm in 90874 Sammamish

Skydancer

Post by Skydancer » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:11 pm

dom_ruiz wrote:Also, is the Sharp a monitor or a TV? If it's a TV it sounds like it might not be pulling in UHF channels (a setup option) so it might need a factory reset.
Its a TV.. Its 6-7 years old, before the switch to digitasl, I figured that was more likely to be a problem.

I'ts a mystery to me though why the HDHomeRun tuner barely finds anything..

Doctor Feelgood

Post by Doctor Feelgood » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:36 pm

There are websites that tell you where the TV broadcasts come from and where to aim your antenna / what kind of signal you can expect.

I think http://www.tvfool.com is the one I used - but it is not resolving for me right now. http://www.antennaweb.org/ looks similar to what I remember, but not as good.

dmagerl

Post by dmagerl » Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:32 pm

Yeah tvfool isnt working right now. Something about google maps changing the terms of service and cutting the number of allowed maps. So they exceed their quota almost right away when the quota resets..

But antennaweb doesnt seem to like your zipcode. It doesnt resolve either. So I used Seattle's zipcode and just moved the red pushpin to somewhere near Sammimish. You could probably be more accurate than I was.

I guess you'd be at a minimum of 10 miles from the stations. And they're from all directions. And they're a mix of VHF and UHF. A small antenna like that just isnt going to hack it, especially for the VHF stations, and even more so if mounted inside.

blueiedgod

Post by blueiedgod » Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:28 pm

Skydancer wrote:Hey

I am trying to cut the Comcast umbilical cord and have bought a Mohu Leaf antenna (to be exact: Mohu Leaf Ultimate Amplified Indoor HDTV Antenna). I also have an HD HomeRun dual network tuner which I have been able to scan for the Comcast channels previously, but when I connect the tuner to my leaf antenna and try to scan for channels I only get two Spanish channels which holds no interest for me. Nothing else.

This is when I use the channel scanning in the HDHomeRun software. if I use WMC I find nothing.

Regards
Bo

Did you switch the tuner in the SD software from ClearQAM to ATSC mode?