No Signal Detected - One Channel Only - Records OK

Help with tuners from ATI, Hauppauge, AverMedia and more.
aeblank

HTPC Specs: Show details

No Signal Detected - One Channel Only - Records OK

Post by aeblank » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:19 pm

I have 2 SDHRs connected to a rooftop antenna.

A couple weeks ago, I started getting the 'no signal detected' error on my strongest channel and it's sub-channel. I can tune it fine using SD's quick viewer. This happens on two different instances of WMC. Also, it is happening to my brother, who is about 10 miles away, on his WMC box.

INTERESTINGLY, the "bad" channel records fine.
If I record what is on that channel, then tune to that channel, everything is fine even when I extend past the time of the recording.
ALSO, if I am validly tuned on one tv using the above method (WMC+2 extenders), any other tv can tune to it fine.

So if I left a tv continuously tuned (using the recording method above) to the channel, I'd not notice the problem anywhere throughout the house.

I am convinced this is a broadcast issue, because it suddenly cropped up across multiple instances of WMC (no updates of any sort). Also, it seems like I remember this happening before, but clearing up after a couple of days---but that is very fuzzy and I sure wouldn't bet much on it. I could email the station, but I don't have much to go on.

Any thoughts?

dmagerl

Post by dmagerl » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:56 pm

This has all the hallmarks of being an issue with the sources for that station. Especially when you can record and not watch live.

What station is it? Highlight the station callsign in the guide, right click, then edit channel, then edit sources, and I bet you'll find something screwed up. There should be one source for each tuner.

aeblank

Post by aeblank » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:15 pm

It's 9.1/9.2 out of Cadillac MI.

I did find a thread with what you are saying (since I posted)....
http://www.sevenforums.com/media-center ... annel.html

I'll be looking at that tonight, but I've never had to do that before. I emailed the station to see about their PSIP generator, that I read about on SDs forum.
I'd like them to fix it so that I don't have to remember to do that (treat the source, not the symptom), but we shall see.

Thanks for the input. Awesome resources here at TGB.

aeblank

Post by aeblank » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:43 pm

I already got a reply from the operations manager saying it had been assigned to engineering.

dmagerl

Post by dmagerl » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:23 pm

TVfool shows WWTV as being on both ch9 and ch40. I bet you can only receive one of those. You'll need to disable the sources you cant receive. So instead of 1 source per tuner, you'll have 2. So if you have 4 tuners you'll see 8 sources, four will be ch9 and four will be ch40. Disable or deprioritize the ones you cant receive.

aeblank

Post by aeblank » Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:12 pm

Well, I played around with this on my laptop before doing it to my MCE box.
Had some adventures where I split one of my 9.1 channels, so then I had two 9.1s in the guide. both seemed to work. I couldn't figure out which was 9.1 and which was 40.1. I did see where I could get rid of all the 40.1 and 40.2 (4 of each). Would be a pain for more than a couple channels! However, that did solve the problem after a restart. I ended up re-doing tuner setup on my laptop trying to undo the split, and then it only gave me 3 tuners, saying one didn't have signal. That's pretty impossible, since they're dual tuner boxes. So I manually set them up and it seems ok. I only use MCE on my laptop for troubleshooting.......

So, I removed the wrong channels on my real box without incident. When I rebooted this morning, everything worked.

I am curious to see if the channel fixes it though. They're fairly responsive. If my brother hasn't made the above changes, I'll have him watch to see if it gets fixed in the next day or two.

Between this an MS finally fixing my guide, I'm in good shape!

Anyway, thanks again.

bmblank

Post by bmblank » Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:25 pm

I have not yet done this. Maybe I'll call you tonight or we'll talk tomorrow.

dmagerl

Post by dmagerl » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:24 pm

The channel numbers are shown with the sources. All you have to do is uncheck the ones you cant receive. They're grouped by channel so its going to be either the first 4 get unchecked or the last 4.

WMC really goofs up these kind of stations. Here in Chicago, WLS had two frequencies which caused no end of problems. Just within the last week, the guide dropped one of them which caused another round of problems.