Which USB satellite tuner would be compatible in Yemen?

Help with tuners from ATI, Hauppauge, AverMedia and more.
a cooperator

HTPC Specs: Show details

Which USB satellite tuner would be compatible in Yemen?

Post by a cooperator » Fri May 17, 2013 1:13 am

Hi everyone,

I would respectfully like to let me know which external usb satellite tuner would be compatible with my country 'Yemen' before spending any cash on a tuner I should check that the tuner is compatible with the type of satellite service broadcasting in my area.

I found only this Satellite tuner whose some details shown below available in my country::

Skystar USB[Techisat]
External
Digital television (HDTV)

Any comments would be highly appreciated.

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:44 pm

Does your country use DVB-S? DVB-S2? Something else? What is used for conditional access?
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation

a cooperator

Post by a cooperator » Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:30 am

erkotz wrote:Does your country use DVB-S? DVB-S2? Something else? What is used for conditional access?
Thank you so much indeed,

I really didn't know what DVB-S and DVB-S2 are. So could you please be a little more explicit?

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:52 am

Can you tell us which satellite / channels you wish to receive TV from?

That will enable us to give you some advice.
Rob.

TGB.tv - the one stop shop for the more discerning Media Center user.

NWW

Post by NWW » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:43 am

I'm guessing you're after "Nilesat", a satellite commonly used for the middle-east and/or for every arab speaking country.

There are around 1100 channels, with 900 free-to-air (no subscription needed). If you have the knowledge to set up a dish towards that satellite, you only need a satellite tuner (DVB-S2) for it.

The most common are the TBS 6981 (dual tuner), the Blackgold series of cards, or my favourite (but most expensive), the Digital Devices Cine S2 range of cards. It's usually around the 100-150€ mark for dual tuners. Those are internal cards.

Now, for USB based, TBS (www.buydtv.com) offers single tuners. Anysee as well. But keep in mind, those will mostly be single tuners, and almost as expensive as internal ones (depending on where you source it).

OSN (one of the leading platforms over there) can't be accessed without their set top box. If you want that package, you'll need a capture card like an HDPVR.

Let us know what you want, we'll help you further.

a cooperator

Post by a cooperator » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:59 am

Thank you all of you so much indeed.

I know that a satellite tuner (DVB-S2) 'with HD Technology' would be compatible with my country. However, I am really quite hesitative about purchasing this device or not, in particular because I don't know what good features there are in this device other than the recording, not available in using normal receiver device plugged directly to a TV.

Another reason is that the cost of a satellite tuner (DVB-S2) 'with HD Technology' would be about US 72 dollars.

I know a satellite tuner is connected to a PC from one part and to the Satllite from the other part. However, normal receiver device is connected to TV and the other part to satellite.
Is there a feature of downloading programs or anything else without using Internet when using this device. Or only watching TV on my PC? :?: