Question About How MC "sees" Tuners

Help with tuners from ATI, Hauppauge, AverMedia and more.
CablefreeMe

HTPC Specs: Show details

Question About How MC "sees" Tuners

Post by CablefreeMe » Mon May 13, 2013 8:07 pm

So I picked up a used Hauppauge 950Q from eBay. Right now I'm using it for ATSC and it works great. I'm thinking about getting cable just for football season so my wife doesn't kill me. So that means 4 months of basic cable. My question has to do with tuner setup in MC. As I'm walked through the setup and MC recognized and setup my tuner it said that it found an ATSC tuner but made no mention of QAM. Is that because I didn't have cable hooked up? I read somewhere that MC will analyze what is coming in from the source as part of the setup and I'm hoping that's why my QAM tuner didn't show up and not because I have a bad tuner.

staknhalo

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by staknhalo » Mon May 13, 2013 8:17 pm

CablefreeMe wrote:So I picked up a used Hauppauge 950Q from eBay. Right now I'm using it for ATSC and it works great. I'm thinking about getting cable just for football season so my wife doesn't kill me. So that means 4 months of basic cable. My question has to do with tuner setup in MC. As I'm walked through the setup and MC recognized and setup my tuner it said that it found an ATSC tuner but made no mention of QAM. Is that because I didn't have cable hooked up? I read somewhere that MC will analyze what is coming in from the source as part of the setup and I'm hoping that's why my QAM tuner didn't show up and not because I have a bad tuner.
You got it; it's because there's no QAM signal going into the tuner.