What do you do when your tuners lock you into a provider?

Help with tuners from ATI, Hauppauge, AverMedia and more.
JTScribe

HTPC Specs: Show details

What do you do when your tuners lock you into a provider?

Post by JTScribe » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:02 pm

I've had Comcast for almost 9 years now. I'm ambivalent about their level of service. It's adequate (for the price I've been paying). So my bill today has a much higher rate than what I've budgeted for. I called and tried to negotiate a lower rate and was actually chided a bit by the rep - "We can't just keep giving you promotional rates," yadda yadda. To which I think, hey, fine. I finally was able to negotiate a higher-tier package for less than what they were going to charge me for my current package. But of course, it's only good for six months. So I'm looking at it like I have six months to decide if I'm going to move on. My problem, of course, are my tuners. I have a Ceton and a pair of HVR-2250s.

The options in my area are Comcast, OTA, UVerse, and the satellite providers. OTA is a possible option - the only bad part is I took down my antenna when I remodeled my house. Doh. On the bright side I did at least leave the wire in place in a utility box, so all I have to do is put the antenna up and make the connection. I would kill for FIOS, but it sounds like they have halted expansion for the foreseeable future.

UVerse is IPTV based, so I will need set-top boxes. That's a no go. I used them before I got my Ceton, they sucked, I hated them. Way too many missed recordings for my taste, and I don't know of a way to get 8 tuners like I have now with set top boxes. So that eliminates satellite as well.

It's just really frustrating!!! I love, love, love my WMC box. My six-year old can run it like a whiz. Heck, my three-year old can run it like a whiz. I love having Netflix, MyMovies, recorded and live TV, and home movies at the touch of a button through one device.

:wtf: Just needed to rant. Thanks, all. :p

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:35 pm

I wouldn't eliminate satellite just yet. On DirecTV, you can go up to 16 tuners per residential account. In your case, one HR34 plus two HR24's will give you 9 tuners, with all recordings shared among them. Two Hoppers on Dish give you 6 tuners and the capacity for 9 simultaneous recordings (5 plus 4 on the big four during prime time). Another benefit of switching to satellite, is when their promos run out in 2 years, you'll get the new customer deal when you go back to Comcast. I've had both Dish and DirecTV and can tell you that their DVRs are far better than WMC. If you get streaming or blu-ray player for Netflix and your other files, then your Netflix experience will vastly improve as well, giving you full 1080p and Super HD (Netflix on WMC 7 is limited to 720p).

But I have to ask how in the world do you find that much worth recording? On a rare occasion, my family of 4 might record 2 or 3 things at once, but never 8. Do you really need 8?

JTScribe

Post by JTScribe » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:46 pm

It only happens once or twice a week usually. There are three or four shows on digital cable that are on the same time as shows on all four of the broadcast networks. Most of the time we never go over.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:25 pm

In that case, 2 Hoppers would work fine for you, as would an HR34 and an HR24. I really liked both sat providers for the most part. While it works fine, I find WMC a necessary evil which I tolerate in order to save a few bucks. If my cable weren't so cheap right now, I'd go back to sat. I've got another year before my bill is due to skyrocket again. Then I'll do the old provider shuffle again.

slowbiscuit

Post by slowbiscuit » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:19 pm

JTScribe wrote:It only happens once or twice a week usually. There are three or four shows on digital cable that are on the same time as shows on all four of the broadcast networks. Most of the time we never go over.
That conflict is easily solved by putting the network shows at the top of the series priority list, because cable almost always runs repeats later that night or next day that will be picked up by the scheduler. Voila, no need for more than 4 tuners.

I always get the current promo on Comcast by playing them off against the latest U-Verse offer (select the cancel service option so you get to the retention reps), and/or posting a message to their corporate reps who then get someone local to give me a call and renew the current promo on my account. I've been paying $80/mo. for Digital Preferred and Blast HSI for over 2 years now, and before that was on another promo for a lesser tier that was even cheaper.

JTScribe

Post by JTScribe » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:35 pm

slowbiscuit wrote:
JTScribe wrote:It only happens once or twice a week usually. There are three or four shows on digital cable that are on the same time as shows on all four of the broadcast networks. Most of the time we never go over.
I always get the current promo on Comcast by playing them off against the latest U-Verse offer (select the cancel service option so you get to the retention reps), and/or posting a message to their corporate reps who then get someone local to give me a call and renew the current promo on my account. I've been paying $80/mo. for Digital Preferred and Blast HSI for over 2 years now, and before that was on another promo for a lesser tier that was even cheaper.
I may have to try that next time I call. I already have ATT for phone, and they are marketing their triple play for about what my cable bill is. I've actually been considering canceling my home phone but Comcast doesn't need to know that. ;)

DaveJMathews

Post by DaveJMathews » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:21 am

Maybe a combination of a few options. I currently have OTA/Cable for WMC then DirecTV for my normal T.V. needs. I use WMC for any conflicts on big network shows. Normally I get far better picture quality through OTA then I ever did with a Comcast box anyways for my Local/Network Channels.

Now for Comcast I lucked out and the community I live in worked out a deal a few years back. At first the HOA was trying to ditch the antennas on the roofs because they considered it an eyesore. So now our membership fees include basic "and I mean basic" cable for the neighborhood. I think it normally runs 19.99-24.99 a month from Comcast in most areas, bear minimum channels just the cheap DTA boxes if you want to use it with out a ClearQam tuner.

Well the nice thing is the FCC will not let Comcast encrypt any of the OTA/Free satellite channels on their network.So I get c-span all the PBS, local OTA, and a few other random channels about 40 in total all in HD, all unencrypted. Which is PERFECT if you just need a backup DVR for network channels. And now because of the digital switch and cost to get HD in your home we are aloud to put antennas back up if we want so awesome for me... I have the antenna and the Cable both plugged into my WMC machine with Dual NTSC/ATSC/Clear Qam tuners. Ends up giving me a total of about 50 channels.

DirecTV I use a couple DVR and boxes in the house. The final setup ends up being WMC/DirecTV on the main TV and Xbox360's/DirecTV boxes "shared DVR if you order it" for the other rooms.

Even if I paid for the basic Comcast service I would end up paying roughly 100 a month for all the services "after my deals have expired" started at about 50 for the first year. I end up with 8 tuners "4 DirecTV 4-Cable/OTA"

I thought it would be more of a pain then just having everything in the WMC machine like you have now "and how I use to have it" but honestly I don't even notice switching between the 2 setups now. I was tempted to put the DirecTV through the WMC machine but after Blasters/Serial setups, HDCP bypass and new capture cards... it's not worth the headache.

Might be worth considering a combo like that. If you get good reception OTA ditch Comcast and build what you need and want, not what they shove down your throat. I will give U-verse a shot when they bring it into town... right now its not available in my area. I do use Att for home phone and internet at a very reasonable price to replace what I lost with a full triple play from Comcast.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:28 am

slowbiscuit wrote:
That conflict is easily solved by putting the network shows at the top of the series priority list, because cable almost always runs repeats later that night or next day that will be picked up by the scheduler. Voila, no need for more than 4 tuners.
Absolutely. The cable channels *always* run those shows over and over again.

Me, I can't imagine having all four tuners busy on the major networks all at once. There's just not that much on the major broadcasters...

blueiedgod

Post by blueiedgod » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:15 pm

JTScribe wrote:
slowbiscuit wrote:
I may have to try that next time I call. I already have ATT for phone, and they are marketing their triple play for about what my cable bill is. I've actually been considering canceling my home phone but Comcast doesn't need to know that. ;)

Comcast may offer you a better deal if you switch your phone to them too. I know Time Warner gives you a pretty good deal if you get triple play. Verizon offers the best triple play deal, but like you said, it is not available in your area.

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:57 pm

A bit off topic but I recommend Ooma for phone service. It's free with the exception of whatever taxes are involved which is minimal. Paying for only two services is cheaper than paying for three in the long run, don't let anybody sucker you into phone service without doing a little research on Ooma first. My Comcast bill is currently less than $80 for internet and TV on the current promotion.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:20 am

I have a friend who has Ooma. He's very happy. But, I've read about a FREE alternative called Obihai (www.obitalk.com). The Obi is for more technically inclined people, but it's free and allows you to basically build your own telephone network. Pretty cool.

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:37 pm

Nevertheless, telephone service is one way to lock you into their services. It is way more inconvenient to switch when you have a phone number attached.

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:48 pm

barnabas1969 wrote:I have a friend who has Ooma. He's very happy. But, I've read about a FREE alternative called Obihai (http://www.obitalk.com). The Obi is for more technically inclined people, but it's free and allows you to basically build your own telephone network. Pretty cool.
I don't know how it is by you - but I kinda need a landline when hurricanes hit/knock out power/internet.

slowbiscuit

Post by slowbiscuit » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:56 pm

And you're willing to pay $25-30 a month for the rare time you might need a landline in an emergency? No thanks, I'll survive with cell and Google Voice w/Obi until my cell batteries run out.

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:58 pm

slowbiscuit wrote:And you're willing to pay $25-30 a month for the rare time you might need a landline in an emergency? No thanks, I'll survive with cell and Google Voice w/Obi until my cell batteries run out.
When a hurricane can knock power out for weeks - as has happened before - yes. And when gas is on low supply during those times - using your car to charge your phone for weeks won't due. Plenty of people thought like you did until Wilma hit; then they realized the error of their ways. If you live in an area where natural disasters really don't occur that often - then it's safe to think like you do.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:03 pm

Straight talk and Verizon have home phone gateway devices for $15 and $10 respectively. Cell based with battery back up. Has been 100% reliable for me for a couple of years now.

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:09 pm

staknhalo wrote:
slowbiscuit wrote:And you're willing to pay $25-30 a month for the rare time you might need a landline in an emergency? No thanks, I'll survive with cell and Google Voice w/Obi until my cell batteries run out.
When a hurricane can knock power out for weeks - as has happened before - yes. And when gas is on low supply during those times - using your car to charge your phone for weeks won't due. Plenty of people thought like you did until Wilma hit; then they realized the error of their ways. If you live in an area where natural disasters really don't occur that often - then it's safe to think like you do.
I'm not sure what I'd use a phone for if I didn't have power or gasoline for weeks.

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:10 pm

foxwood wrote:
staknhalo wrote:
I'm not sure what I'd use a phone for if I didn't have power or gasoline for weeks.
I have family and friends in different parts of Florida and New York. To keep in touch/keep them updated; and to let them know you're OK/let them get in touch with you.

For example, power was out for 3 weeks in my area after Wilma. One of my cousins from Long Island has a second house 3 hours North of me. He was on vacation at the time. When he got home to Long Island he called his neighbors down in Florida and discovered they had power in that area. When he found out what happened by me, he called me up on my landline (after a week and a half without power on my end) to let me know I could go stay up at his place until power was restored at my home. Others were stuck in that area without power for the full 3 weeks. I'm sure the ones who had landlines appreciated it.

blueiedgod

Post by blueiedgod » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:56 pm

mcewinter wrote:A bit off topic but I recommend Ooma for phone service. It's free with the exception of whatever taxes are involved which is minimal. Paying for only two services is cheaper than paying for three in the long run, don't let anybody sucker you into phone service without doing a little research on Ooma first. My Comcast bill is currently less than $80 for internet and TV on the current promotion.

Verizon FiOS double play, or just naked FiOS internet in some instances is more expensive than Triple play bundle. We pay $65/month for FiOS triple play. FiOS internet alone for lower speed is $60/month.

Same with Time Warner, Triple play is $87/month ($29 per service per month) vs TV alone is $60 and Internet alone is $45.

blueiedgod

Post by blueiedgod » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:59 pm

mcewinter wrote:Nevertheless, telephone service is one way to lock you into their services. It is way more inconvenient to switch when you have a phone number attached.

Landline phone numbers are portable, especially with VoIP services, just like cell phone numbers.