Need recommendations 4a Mini PCIe ATSC/QAM tuner

Help with tuners from ATI, Hauppauge, AverMedia and more.
ricktendo

HTPC Specs: Show details

Need recommendations 4a Mini PCIe ATSC/QAM tuner

Post by ricktendo » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:08 am

I have currently a VAIO AIO PC with 1x2 Mini PCIe TV tuners

Tuner 1- AverMedia A313 Pure Analog
Tuner 2- AverMedia A317D Digital ATSC

I need to upgrade my digital tuner because it crashes my computer when I am watching or recording a show (I think its a driver issue) and need your advice. Looking for a ATSC tuner, one that can also handle unencrypted QAM channels

So far all I found on eBay is a AverMedia A321, any other suggestions guys? (anything under $50 please)

lithium630

Post by lithium630 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:16 am

ricktendo wrote:I have currently a VAIO AIO PC with 1x2 Mini PCIe TV tuners

Tuner 1- AverMedia A313 Pure Analog
Tuner 2- AverMedia A317D Digital ATSC

I need to upgrade my digital tuner because it crashes my computer when I am watching or recording a show (I think its a driver issue) and need your advice. Looking for a ATSC tuner, one that can also handle unencrypted QAM channels

So far all I found on eBay is a AverMedia A321, any other suggestions guys? (anything under $50 please)
Have you thought of using an HDHomerun instead?

ricktendo

Post by ricktendo » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:57 pm

Too expensive and wireless performance in the review I saw was crap. I am currently using a PCTV 80e USB stick to watch TV.

The reason I prefer a Mini PCIe, is because my PC has the capability and it will be less cluter

ricktendo

Post by ricktendo » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:18 pm

First I tried the A321 ATSC/QAM Hybrid but this did not work (I did not know why)
Then I bought a A336 ATSC/QAM Hybrid and this also did not work in my PC (leading me to believe that Mini PCIe devices with USB\VID device ids did not work in my mobo, only PCI\VEN)

So I had no choice but to get the H323 ATSC Hybrid tuner, it can handle my unincrypted Clear QAM channels just fine and I have two of them...so watching and recording two shows at once is pretty nice

blueiedgod

Post by blueiedgod » Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:19 pm

ricktendo wrote:Too expensive and wireless performance in the review I saw was crap. I am currently using a PCTV 80e USB stick to watch TV.

The reason I prefer a Mini PCIe, is because my PC has the capability and it will be less cluter
Run a wire, solves the wireless problem. :mrgreen:

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:31 pm

blueiedgod wrote:Run a wire, solves the wireless problem. :mrgreen:
Agreed. It's easier to connect an Ethernet cable to your laptop/AIO than it is to connect your cable/antenna coax anyway.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:43 pm

Who's your cable company, ricktendo? I thought clear QAM was going away for everybody soon. My cable company killed it last month. You may want to look at Silicon Dust again for a long term solution.