Sharing Recordings

Help with tuners from ATI, Hauppauge, AverMedia and more.
stevebeans

HTPC Specs: Show details

Sharing Recordings

Post by stevebeans » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:24 pm

[Moved to new thread by STC]

Hey there,

I was referred by Wolf from tomshardware to come to this thread, and it looks exactly like what I'll need.

He already answered a few questions for me, but my biggest question is regarding how the shows are over the network.

I am running win7, my girlfriend vista. Both have WMC installed, and both connected through our LAN. My thing is, if I have the card in my computer, can she watch a show on her computer through my recording? She has a blog about a tv show, and I want to be able to record that show through the tuner, and she can watch it on her PC.

Right now I have a Kworld single tuner, and in order to do that (assuming the show is on one of the basic channels) I have to wait for the show to finish recording, go to my recording folder and convert it to .dvr-ms format in order for her to watch it on her computer through WMP, not WMC. I don't care if I have to do the same thing, although ideally I'd like for her to be able to watch the shows like I can on my computer.

So how does that all work with the network? Will she be able to watch the shows I record?

Thanks!

gpatlanta

Post by gpatlanta » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:39 am

I realize this has been a while, but in case you still need an answer, it is yes and no.

Anything thatvhas DRM (flagged asvcopy once) by your cable provider will not be playable on any other pcs no matter what. Anything that isn't flagged is watchable. I can't recall if Vista can watch .wtv files so you may have to convert as you stated first. But you could share your recorded tv folder and open it in Vista MC i think for her.

If needed, there are conversion tools out there such as todvrms and you may be able to set up an automatic conversion. Thi would only work in non drm content.
Greg

STC

Post by STC » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:06 pm

Are you in North America? Perhaps a good solution is to buy a cheap DMA extender (ebay) for your girlfriend.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

STC

Post by STC » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:48 pm

Jim_IT

Post by Jim_IT » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:11 am

I think that everyone is overthinking this one. OP is on Win7 with TV being stored as .wtv files. OP gf is on Vista. If Vista machine has media center, it should be possible.

Taking some clues clues from original post. Vista is probably without any of the TV packs installed. (If Premium or above) Maybe why OP has to convert shows to dvr-ms. If TV pack 2008 and above was installed on vista allowing .wtv file format, then adding networked shared Recorded TV folder to Vista Media Center should allow recorded shows to be accessable to Vista machine.

Ji

gpatlanta

Post by gpatlanta » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:29 am

Yeah, i wasnt overthinking it. The original post when i answered it was titled InfiniTV so i presumed the context was specifically for the InfiniTV card in the system. It is important to know of DRM if that is the case. Somehow it looks like the thread has been renamed to Shared Recordings since i responded. No response however from the original poster which is weird.

So i guess we'll leavr this one alone going forward unless the OP comes back with further questions/clarifications.
Greg

STC

Post by STC » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:39 pm

I split the thread. I was asked by a member and after consideration I gave it it's own topic.