How is native support for HD-PVR now in Media Center?

Help with tuners from ATI, Hauppauge, AverMedia and more.
gbwelly

HTPC Specs: Show details

How is native support for HD-PVR now in Media Center?

Post by gbwelly » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:37 am

Well prices for the HD-PVR are looking much better down here in NZ finally. I was wondering if Hauppauge media center support for the HD-PVR has got to the point where it's broadly reliable? Is there any native Media Center support for Colossus at the moment? Anyone used a HDFury2 with HD-PRV? Our local Sky downscales without HDCP so I'll probably have to go Sky->HDMI->HDFury->Component->HD-PVR...

Cheers

kingwr

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by kingwr » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:24 pm

Evolution of native support for the HDPVR has seemed to have stalled. While there was a package released as late as last month, it appears to only add support for the colossus and not improve overall functionality. The base driver is still from June of 2010 (1.5.7.0), the IR blaster functionality is still horrible, and your are still limited to only one HDPVR or Colossus with the native support.

If one HDPVR will do you, and you can implement an alternate channel changing solution to the IR blaster, then the support is fairly stable. I have not used an HDFury in this solution, because the cable and satellite companies in the U.S. have not made good (yet) on their threats to downgrade component outputs for protected content. In fact, the HDMI out on DirecTV satellite receivers appears to work with the Collossus (i.e. no HDCP handshake), even on premium content. But this status quo may be short lived.