Windows 7 Weak Signal Detected Fix

Help with tuners from ATI, Hauppauge, AverMedia and more.
elmopio

HTPC Specs: Show details

Windows 7 Weak Signal Detected Fix

Post by elmopio » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:21 am

Well M$ or somewhat of a MC team that's left has found a issue in the registry when a weak signal is detected. I have been seeing this issue for the last month or so I had to apply this updatehttp://support.microsoft.com/kb/2708283 to test. Before I thought it was my infinity card giving me issues. But the only way to fix this was too change the channel, up or down and then back to the channel I was watching. Well I haven't seen any issues for the last 3 hours while I have been recording 3 channel while watching one

WhatHappend

Post by WhatHappend » Thu Jul 26, 2012 4:36 am

I captured lots of dumps and spent lots of time so MSFT could come up with that fix. But now I have been able to watch TBSHD since Ceton sent me that same fix from MSFT.

elmopio

Post by elmopio » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:00 am

It's pure ironic that it is part of Microsoft's Fix It program. :twisted: "Dammit M$ Fix It already!"

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:42 am

Can somebody please explain to me how that solution fixes anything? From what I can tell, all it does is change the allowed percentage of dropped packets from 10% to 50%. Changing the threshold doesn't change the fact that there are packets being dropped.

So my question is, are the packets actually being dropped (which would indicate a problem with the signal, in which this "fix" simply allows the content to be displayed instead of a weak signal message), or is there a fault in the way WMC is detecting how many packets were dropped (in which case this "fix" doesn't actually fix the problem)?

makryger

Post by makryger » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:48 am

@richard- I used to have an issue where the "weak signal detected" message would come up, although it would not result in any distortion of the picture. The only thing it would do is block the show I was watching with the message. I'd imagine all this does is remove the message.
My Channel Logos XL: Get your Guide looking good! ~~~~ TunerSalad: Increase the 4-tuner limit in 7MC

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:47 pm

I would think a loss of >10% of the incoming packets would certainly be noticeable on screen (but then again, I don't know). So I'm thinking if the registry modification allows you to get rid of the weak signal message but you don't see any issues on screen after applying the registry modification, then there could be a problem in the way WMC detects packet loss...which isn't resolved by this registry modification. Then again, perhaps 11% packet loss is too small to really be noticeable (as I understand it, the 11% packet loss would result in the error message if the registry modification is not applied, but would allow the content to be displayed if the registry modification is applied).

Which leads me into a follow-up question: What amount of packet loss does it take before you start to see problems on screen?

WhatHappend

Post by WhatHappend » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:48 am

Richard, I have this Issue on TBSHD and with the change I have no Issue. I have watched the channel for hours and have never once saw a glitch on the audio or video. When this issue was being discussed it was eluded to the it was some thing TBS was doing at the encoding end. I wonder if optional encoded packets (meta-data, CC, etc) are being dropped and that is where the 10% threshold gets hit. This issue happens 100% of the time on TBSHD for any provider that doesn't re-compress that channel. You can get rid of the weak signal msg by pausing and pressing play during live viewing but can never record the channel without this change.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:09 pm

Do you guys ever have this issue with recorded tv? I had a show that the kids recorded on carton network yesterday and I tried to play it and got this message. I pressed stop then play again and it played fine.. I applied the fix afterward because I have recently been seeing the issue as well.. Thought it might have to do with my new build until I saw this thread.
newfiend

Sent from my SGH-i937 using Board Express

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:56 pm

WhatHappend wrote:I captured lots of dumps and spent lots of time so MSFT could come up with that fix. But now I have been able to watch TBSHD since Ceton sent me that same fix from MSFT.
Thanks for your effort, WhatHappend. I've seen this error on rare occasions. I appreciate your time and trouble to help get a solution.

hakamarob

Post by hakamarob » Wed Aug 22, 2012 1:56 am

WhatHappend wrote:I captured lots of dumps and spent lots of time so MSFT could come up with that fix. But now I have been able to watch TBSHD since Ceton sent me that same fix from MSFT.

Thanks very much for the effort on this. I can't wait to try it when I get home

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:14 pm

richard1980 wrote:Can somebody please explain to me how that solution fixes anything? From what I can tell, all it does is change the allowed percentage of dropped packets from 10% to 50%. Changing the threshold doesn't change the fact that there are packets being dropped.

So my question is, are the packets actually being dropped (which would indicate a problem with the signal, in which this "fix" simply allows the content to be displayed instead of a weak signal message), or is there a fault in the way WMC is detecting how many packets were dropped (in which case this "fix" doesn't actually fix the problem)?
I know this thread is long-dead, but it was linked from another thread, so I figured I would answer this question.

You are correct - all it's doing is changing the threshold. The KB article linked was created based on a support case I (through Ceton) had open with MS. Essentially, packets aren't actually being dropped - WMC's detection logic is faulty. The "fix" is just lowering threshold so it doesn't (erroneously) claim that the signal is weak. It's a workaround.
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation