Problem with WMC Recognizing ATI Cable Card Tuner

Help with tuners from ATI, Hauppauge, AverMedia and more.
Rgc101

HTPC Specs: Show details

Problem with WMC Recognizing ATI Cable Card Tuner

Post by Rgc101 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:00 pm

Hello - I know I'm using outdated technology but I am a dinosaur to some degree, and I always loved WMC. I recently moved from a house where I had 2 separate ATI digital cable tuners that were up and running on 2 different PC's without any problem. I lost my main HTPC in the move. Motherboard went bad. I bought a new box and decided to go down to one HTPC running WMC. The other computer had a HD crash, so I had to reinstall windows 7. I am now trying to get one of the tuners up and running on this PC. I keep getting the "Windows Media Center is unable to determine your TV Signal configuration" message. Comcast has told me that the card is activated and should be up and running. I can get the cable card data to come up under the activate cable card menu. Here is what I have tried that did not work:

1. Switched tuners
2. Changed USB ports
3. Made sure Digital cable advisor status was good
4. Verified that cable signal is good
5. Made sure Playready is installed
6. Uninstalled WMC and reinstalled
7. Gone through setup several times
8. Started and Stopped WMC service multiple times
9. Rebooted tuner and PC several times

The other thing of note - I am not using an M-card. I had comcast transfer one of my old cards over to my new account, so that shouldn't be the issue either.

Thanks so much for any help or suggestions you can offer.

Rgc101

Post by Rgc101 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:26 pm

BTW I have also tried to manually set up digital cable and just get the no signal message when I try to tune to a channel. I remember during previous set ups, digital cable activation key pops up. That doesn't happen. I assume that occurs after the digital cable tuner is recognized by WMC. One other thing I also forgot to mention, is that I have 2 green lights on the tuner and I can see the tuner as a network device and can browse to it's webpage.

Rgc101

Post by Rgc101 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:50 pm

Just tried on a different PC. Same result. I find it hard to believe that 2 tuners could be bad that are recognized by windows as network devices.

DrSmith

Post by DrSmith » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:28 am

Hmm. It seems like you have several things going wrong and changing all at once? You moved. Your motherboard died on one PC. A hard drive crashed in the other PC. And also both tuners appear to be okay, but are not working at all.

Seems like too many coincidences. Did you have a power surge or lightning strike related to the move? I think maybe your systems got a surge or brown-out and your tuners are gone, like the hard drive and motherboard. They just don't show it on the LEDs and status.

Have you ever had working cable TV in the new house? Just because Comcast says the card is activated does not necessarily mean cable TV is up and running at the location.

3rob3

Post by 3rob3 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:12 pm

Did you run Windows update? It's been a long time since I used an ATI CC tuner but I believe the drivers come from there.

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

Rgc101

Post by Rgc101 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:13 pm

The tuners are recognized by the PC, just not by WMC. I confirmed that their firmware is up to date. I just think this is a software issue like playready or some update that is not installed. i have the PC set to update automatically. I also read where you shouldn't set up the PC as a home network, but I don't want to change that. I tried a different USB cable yesterday. The only other thing I can think of is to try a different power supply. There was no power surge that I am aware of. The hard drive crash happened before we moved, and the motherboard died during the move. I keep thinking that there is something stupid i am forgetting. The tuners were packed away in a box and I didn't fire them up until a few days ago, and I find it hard to believe that both could go bad, especially since they fire up and are seen by the PC. Also since i called comcast and activated the cable card, I have had nothing but problems. Multiple boxes not working now. UGH!!

Rgc101

Post by Rgc101 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:07 pm

Well the problems turned out to be a signal issue with Comcast. Once we got that straightened out, the PC recognized the tuner immediately. Only had to call comcast twice to wrestle with the activation. I am currently up and running. :thumbup: