Hauppauge DCR-2650 Dual CableCard Tuner - Owner's Thread

Help with tuners from ATI, Hauppauge, AverMedia and more.
Brainsuck

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by Brainsuck » Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:27 pm

here is the latest firmware http://1drv.ms/1FSGj1U don't do this if you are the faint of heart I'm not good with batch file or I would write one for this channel scan is a lot faster than before
Attachments
Capture2.JPG
Capture1.JPG

Brainsuck

Post by Brainsuck » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:14 pm

DrSmith

Post by DrSmith » Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:38 pm

Are there release notes for this update? Why isn't the update visible on the main site's 2650's support page?

Brainsuck

Post by Brainsuck » Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:28 pm

DrSmith wrote:Are there release notes for this update? Why isn't the update visible on the main site's 2650's support page?
here are release notes
Firmware Changelog

Release 20140604:
◾TC models: Support transcoded recording in Windows Media Center (Windows 7/8).
◾TC models: Support transcoded recording in EyeTV (Mac).
◾TC models: Support transcoded recording in MythTV (Linux).
◾TC models: Support transcoding across source-stream resolution change.
◾TC models: Fix problem which could cause unit to stop responding or corrupt video.
◾TC models: Fix audio playback on Windows 8 Windows Media Center and PlayStation 3.
◾TC models: Fix problem causing sequence errors in transcoded video.
◾TC models: Fix data loss problem when streaming to DVR software over a HomePlug link.
◾TC models: Fix audio track selection where DVS tracks could be picked by mistake.
◾TC models: Fix transcode of ION TV station.
◾TC models: Fix PnPX identification.
◾TC models: Transcode improvements.
◾TC models: Thermal/fan control improvements.
◾HDHR4/TC models: Fix problem where data from a previous channel could be streamed to a new connection.
◾HDHR4/TC/CC/DC models: Improvements to channel scan support.
◾HDHR4/TC/CC/DC models: Sync channel scan results with Silicondust guide server for use with delivering guide data.
◾HDHR4/TC/CC/DC models: Return URL for each channel in lineup.json/lineup.xml.
◾HDHR4/TC/CC/DC models: Replace “Tags” field in lineup.json/lineup.xml with dedicated tags.
◾HDHR4/TC/CC/DC models: Signal DLNA content change when favorites list or configuration changes.
◾EU/DC models: DVB-C fixup feature for use with Windows Media Center and YouSee Cable.
◾HDHR3-4DC: Fix reporting of detected channel count during channel scan.
◾HDHR4-2US: Fix auto-detection of ClearQAM QAM64 channels.
◾All models: Improvements to diagnostic logging.
I just ask for them the firmware is the same as a SD Prime three Tuner also This is what I have on mine now
Attachments
Capture.JPG

Brainsuck

Post by Brainsuck » Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:18 pm

here is the new setup for your box http://www.hauppauge.com/site/support/s ... -2650.html Also beta 20141107 can beta downloaded here to This what I'm testing so far in my Pic
Attachments
Capture.JPG

c094728

Post by c094728 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:08 am

wilkcards wrote:I just wanted to check in...got the dcr-2650 finally set up today...it took 4 different cable cards and two trips to the comcast offices, but now it's working perfectly. It seems to switch channels faster than my old ati digital tuner.
I'm on my 2nd cable card from comcast. First one was unreadable by the dcr-2650. This 2nd one displays all the cable card info in the WMC diagnostic page as well as on the localhost (my ip) hauppauge status page. But when I search for channels it tells me I need to install a cable card. Comcast told me that it paired successfully but I still can't set it up. Just curious what problems you saw with your first 3 cable cards? I also have a internal ATSC tuner installed so when it doesn't find the cable card it only wants to set up my internal tuner which is already set up and working I even went through a manual config (set up without cable card). It downloaded the guide and I have all the channels listed but can't show them because it tells me no tuner found.

c094728

Post by c094728 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:36 am

I just discovered those setup screens. There was nothing in the documentation about them. My web page was at 192.168.137.161 which was one number off of my local ip address. Much quicker than going into media center and trying to look at the diagnostics. For me the log shows it authenticated & validated successfully and I have signal strength and quality of 100% but when I search for channels it doesn't find any. I guess I can go in and wait in the queue for another hour to get another cable card. Very frustrating.

evtedeschi3

Post by evtedeschi3 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:35 am

Just got one of these tuners and a CableCard from Comcast. Updated the firmware, went through the DCA test and passed, scanned the channels. WMC can't detect the CableCard, and the "Cable" light is not on. WMC does, however, register some channels when it scans using the tuner, though none of these channels come through when I try to watch them.

I strongly suspect I have a bad CableCard, but is there anything else I should try?

ETA: I get my internet through Comcast so I know the cable lines are working...

c094728

Post by c094728 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 3:51 pm

I had a problem where the new web interface would see the card but I couldn't scan for channels. I removed the card and shined a light in the slot and discovered that one of the pins was bent over. I was able to straighten it with a knife and then carefully re-seat the card and then it worked. Also during setup I had problems getting WMC to recognize the cable card. I unplugged and replugged the USB right before clicking the button to detect the card and then it found it and was able to configure it. The web interface is nice for when you need to call comcast to get it paired. Much faster then WMC and all the info they need is right there as well as the function to scan for channels. You can even click on the channel number and watch a tv channel in your browser. I'm using one wintv dual tuner internal card attached to an antenna and this external device for 2 cable channels. WMC nicely includes both sets of channels in the tuner guide and I can record 4 channels at the same time, 2 over the air and 2 cable.

wilnel

Post by wilnel » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:41 pm

My system had been working good for almost a year. I noticed on sunday that a new firmware was out, well newer than mine, it was 2011xxxxx. Anyways something was telling me I better not mess with because I had a hell of time with my cable provider activating the card and it seems when you uninstall this device it generates new ip address and association numbers. I went and did it and to my surprise the ip didnt change and the card was still activated. however WMC did not see the card. I can go thru devices webpage and scan for channels everythging working. WMC says no cable card detected, the tuner lights are not on. I re ran tv setup says no cablecard detected / continue without cable card. So I do it manually and displays 2 tuners, it scans thru the channels I can see tuner 1 blinking once done there are no channels displayed. I have even ran the HW clear script same issue. what do I do?

c094728

Post by c094728 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:12 am

Maybe try rerunning the Digital Cable Advisor in the Extras Gallery. Reseat card and USB plugs.

wilnel

Post by wilnel » Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:39 pm

I did rerun dca..but as far as I know dca only checks to see if your system is capable of running it, which it is. I do see it do a system update once finished. I had reseted the usb plugs, power cycled. I dont see how reseating the card will help, from the diag page all is working

davidhp

Post by davidhp » Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:46 am

I am in Las Vegas where COX cable is in the process of going all digital encrypted. I had been running a single Hauppauge external tuner for use with WMC, with no cable box, just direct from the wall. As of Saturday many channels started going digital and I lost them and all local sub channels (QAM). So I bought a DCR 2650 and got a COX supplied Cisco Cable Card which came with a Cisco STA1520 tuning adapter. I did the install yesterday, I am not getting most of my channels on my subscribed packages (I just have what COX calls Starter and TV Essentials which does not include any premium stations like HBO. I am only receiving 47 out of about 150 channels and am not receiving non local channels like USA, AMC, SyFY, ESPN, FX, TBS, TNT or many more that I have in my subscription. I looked up the Hauppauge troubleshooting page and the main thing I am seeing that is bad is the OOB Lock is weak. I called COX four times yesterday, the cable card is recognized and the WMC sees the two tuners but I get error messages on WMC when I try opening a channel like USA that channel not available and some of the upper number channels that I don't have a subscription which I do. A COX contracted tech came out today and had no clue as he had never seen anyone running a cable card receiver using WMC. He scheduled a supervisor tech (an actual COX employee) to come out on Thursday (10/6/16) and said I would probably be better off just get a cable box. I know people have been using the 2650 for years with WMC but many had problems getting it to start working correctly. Any help will be appreciate and what should to tell the COX technician when he comes out Thursday. Thanks

davidhp

Post by davidhp » Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:58 am

I tried one more call to Cox support and had them unpair then pair the Cable Card again and what do you know it now works great. I am receiving all the channels I am subscribed to receive. Only five calls and one tech visit (I got them to cancel the second tech coming out tomorrow saving me the cost of a service call). Persistence does pay off.

TechSavvy

Post by TechSavvy » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:21 pm

Greetings, fellow DCR-2650 owners:

tl;dr: Has anyone been able to install the tuning adapter (TA) / tuning resolver service successfully in Windows 10? I have run the tuning resolver service installer (as admin account), but the service doesn't show up in Services.

I just bought an Intel NUC (Kaby Lake model) and am trying to get it set up to replace my current HTPC (Media Center 7) setup. (I probably should have gone with a Skylake model that supports Windows 8, but I wanted something that could output 4K to the TV. Oh well.) After failing to install the graphics driver on Windows 8.1 -- the only thing that stood between me and a MCE setup -- I decided to just go with the Windows 10 upgrade (which is still working using the Windows 10 Upgrade Tool).

Before trying to get DVR software (unsupported Windows 10 MCE or NextPVR) working, I need to get my DCR-2650 and TA (Cisco STA1520) squared away. I have the DCR-2650 working with an already-activated CableCard -- it even will tune channels that don't require the tuning adapter -- but I have not been able to get the _tuning resolver service_ installed yet in Windows 10. The actual device shows up with a working driver in the Device Manager, but the Hauppauge status page (web browser) does not see it connected (most likely because the service isn't installed).

One thing I haven't tried is doing the install in Windows 8.1 before upgrading to 10 to see whether it carries over.

Thanks in advance!