Recorded TV Plugins

soccerdad

HTPC Specs: Show details

Recorded TV Plugins

Post by soccerdad » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:56 am

Is there a simple free plugin that replaces the stock Recorded TV listings in WMC7? I see Recorded TV HD, but it costs $20. I still might get it (I really miss the comskip bar from NPVR), but was looking to find free alternatives. I really dislike the ribbon thread Recorded TV. I would like a vertical list of the shows recorded, and be able to list them in order that I pick (date, alphabetical, etc). I think if you have lots of recordings, the captured pictures just takes up screen space and makes it confusing to sort. Any ideas?

This is one of the things I loved about NPVR. Some might think it was simplistic, but it we really easy to see and find the shows you were looking for.

Thanks.

lithium630

Post by lithium630 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:14 am

Media Browser can handle recorded TV.

CyberSimian

Post by CyberSimian » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:46 am

soccerdad wrote:I really dislike the ribbon thread Recorded TV. I would like a vertical list of the shows recorded, and be able to list them in order that I pick (date, alphabetical, etc). I think if you have lots of recordings, the captured pictures just takes up screen space and makes it confusing to sort. Any ideas?
Have you tried the alternative panel format for "Recorded TV"? Within Media Center, navigate to "Recorded TV", press the INFO button on the remote control and select "View List". It may not do exactly what you want, but it has the merit of being built-in and completely free!

To change the ordering of the recordings, press the UP button on the remote control until the focus reaches the list of choices top left. The lowest of that set gives you the ability to change the ordering. I use Vista which has only "date recorded" and "title" as available choices, but I think that Windows 7 has more. Note that when ordered by "title", multiple episodes from a series are collected together into a single entry for that series (it behaves as though it were a separate folder).

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

blueiedgod

Post by blueiedgod » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:01 pm

soccerdad wrote:Is there a simple free plugin that replaces the stock Recorded TV listings in WMC7? I see Recorded TV HD, but it costs $20. I still might get it (I really miss the comskip bar from NPVR), but was looking to find free alternatives. I really dislike the ribbon thread Recorded TV. I would like a vertical list of the shows recorded, and be able to list them in order that I pick (date, alphabetical, etc). I think if you have lots of recordings, the captured pictures just takes up screen space and makes it confusing to sort. Any ideas?

This is one of the things I loved about NPVR. Some might think it was simplistic, but it we really easy to see and find the shows you were looking for.

Thanks.

I second the suggestion to change the view of your recorded TV folder.

We have ours organzed by shows and then by the original air date, as opposed to the date recorded. Keeps the shows in chronological order.

soccerdad

Post by soccerdad » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:57 pm

The View List is much better than the other view. Thanks. I did not know about it. I will live with it for a while and see how I like it.

Thanks again for the ideas!

mmatheny

Post by mmatheny » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:42 pm

I want something that keeps track of what I am/have been watching so I can see what's in progress - anything for that?
Mike

Ack

Post by Ack » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:52 pm

mmatheny wrote:I want something that keeps track of what I am/have been watching so I can see what's in progress - anything for that?
That's on my wish/search list too. Would love to be able to track multiple viewers such as who's watched what. So far I haven't found anything.

mmatheny

Post by mmatheny » Sat Dec 10, 2011 1:11 am

I only log on with a single user - I just would like to know what was started to be watched but wasn't finshed.
Mike

volfan6415

Post by volfan6415 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 5:31 pm

The annoying thing is that the data is clearly there, in that WMC gives you the option of "resuming" a show that you have already started to watch. It is simple a matter of displaying it better. (in that currently you would have to open a show to start playing and see if the resume option is available)

tony_park

Post by tony_park » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:55 pm

mmatheny wrote:I want something that keeps track of what I am/have been watching so I can see what's in progress - anything for that?
Recorded TV HD will show you whats been watched, and a progress bar for programs mid way through being watched.

Tony