Windows Media Center has stopped working

Windows Media Center has stopped working

Post#1 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:25 pm

windows media center has stopped working
I have tryed this from this link
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... =windows-7
control panel
programs
click Turn Windows features on or off
unchecked media center.
restarted
still have problem
restarted again then checked media center still have problem

edit haven't made any changes to HTPC stince this problem
I have tryed to find and delete this update
KB2670838
control panel
windows update and just get a spinning circle of progress
when it finalley gets to update history the screen just stays completely white so I can't see any updates.

I can actually start a WTV W7MC recorded TV program in explorer however I don't have resume or right click functions.

edit I thought I had the restore point set because when I checked it it asked if I wanted to remove restore points so I assume I had restore points set evademtly I don't so if anyone can assist it would be a big help to avoid the inconvience of a reinstalllation of windows 7.
Thanks STB
stevethebrain
 
Posts: 159
Joined: 14 August 2012
Location: Atlanta, GA,Ft.Walton BCH,FL
HTPC Specs: Show details

Post#2 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:17 pm

I was able to click on installed updates and KB2670838 was not installed.

anyone w/ helfull advice to avoid the inconvience of a reinstalllation of windows 7.
delete KB983590 did nothing from this link
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... 3857eb0c5b

Thanks STB
stevethebrain
 
Posts: 159
Joined: 14 August 2012
Location: Atlanta, GA,Ft.Walton BCH,FL
HTPC Specs: Show details

Post#3 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:54 pm

Thanks to Rob aKA Hoilydayboy I was able to reset the resume play and right click functions w/ this DOS command

C:\windows\ehome\mcupdate.exe -mediacenterrecoverytask


however now I don't have any live TV no TV tuners or TV guide I have tried a few times to setup the TV
I have been unsucsessfull in setting up the TV

here's the message after each attempt.
TVsetup cannot continue
TV setup has encountered a serious problem select finish to exit then try again. if this problem persists restart windows media center or the computer.
I have restarted a few times now so I guess I'm reduced to reinstalling Windows7
stevethebrain
 
Posts: 159
Joined: 14 August 2012
Location: Atlanta, GA,Ft.Walton BCH,FL
HTPC Specs: Show details

Post#4 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:07 pm

You could try removing WMC again from programs and features, then delete the c:\programdata\microsoft\ehome (hidden system) folder.



Then run sfc /scannow from an admin cmd prompt.



Then turn WMC back on?



You could also try a "repair" install, rather than format and re-install I guess.



Have you managed to solve the internet access issue from earlier?
User avatar
holidayboy
 
Posts: 2439
Joined: 5 June 2011
Location: Northants, UK
HTPC Specs: Show details
5+ YrsTGB VeteranStaff
Rob.

TGB.tv - the one stop shop for the more discerning Media Center user.

Post#5 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:09 pm

Also, make sure that there is no ehome folder in c:\windows once you're turned WMC off.
User avatar
holidayboy
 
Posts: 2439
Joined: 5 June 2011
Location: Northants, UK
HTPC Specs: Show details
5+ YrsTGB VeteranStaff
Rob.

TGB.tv - the one stop shop for the more discerning Media Center user.

Post#6 » Sat Feb 07, 2015 1:53 pm

holidayboy wrote:You could try removing WMC again from programs and features, then delete the c:\programdata\microsoft\ehome (hidden system) folder.



Then run sfc /scannow from an admin cmd prompt.



Then turn WMC back on?



You could also try a "repair" install, rather than format and re-install I guess.



Have you managed to solve the internet access issue from earlier?
please excuse my DOS ignorance
?1.is c:\programdata\microsoft\ehome a DOS command?

?2.is sfc /scannow a DOS command and if so is there a space inbetween c / ?

?3.in the other thread reset MC you recommend setting up a new user account I have read about this actually working.my current account is steve administrator
extactly how is this done
control panel
user accounts
manage another account
create a new account as standard user or administrator?

Thanks STB
stevethebrain
 
Posts: 159
Joined: 14 August 2012
Location: Atlanta, GA,Ft.Walton BCH,FL
HTPC Specs: Show details

Post#7 » Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:03 pm

stevethebrain wrote:
holidayboy wrote:You could try removing WMC again from programs and features, then delete the c:\programdata\microsoft\ehome (hidden system) folder.



Then run sfc /scannow from an admin cmd prompt.



Then turn WMC back on?



You could also try a "repair" install, rather than format and re-install I guess.



Have you managed to solve the internet access issue from earlier?
please excuse my DOS ignorance
?1.is c:\programdata\microsoft\ehome a DOS command?

?2.is sfc /scannow a DOS command and if so is there a space inbetween c / ?

?3.in the other thread reset MC you recommend setting up a new user account I have read about this actually working.my current account is steve administrator
extactly how is this done
control panel
user accounts
manage another account
create a new account as standard user or administrator?

I am still having internet connection issuses on the HTPC (my work station is working fine located ten feet away in same room)

I believe this lack of net connectivity has something to do w/ my W7MC malfunctioning it seams both starting malfunctioning at the same time,

when I click on networks available there are none to choose
when I click open network and sharing center click connect to a network all I get is
currently connected to
unidentified network no interner access
usalley theres about 20+ networks to choose from in the neiborhood. maybe my internet setting are not configured correctly ?

I have checked the USB network adaptor in device manager and it appears to be functioning correctly however it's activity light isn't blicking like it usalley doe's when connected.

edit?4. if I'm forced to reinstall W7 must the storage drives SATA cables need to be disconnected?

Thanks STB
Last edited by stevethebrain on Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stevethebrain
 
Posts: 159
Joined: 14 August 2012
Location: Atlanta, GA,Ft.Walton BCH,FL
HTPC Specs: Show details

Post#8 » Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:20 pm

You have an HDhomerun, dont you? If your network isnt working, that explains why you cant set up TV.

Why are you using a USB network adaptor anyway? In another thread, didnt you say the computer had a network port?
dmagerl
 
Posts: 283
Joined: 6 June 2011

Post#9 » Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:02 pm

dmagerl wrote:You have an HDhomerun, dont you? If your network isnt working, that explains why you cant set up TV.

Why are you using a USB network adaptor anyway? In another thread, didnt you say the computer had a network port?
yes I have
HDhomerun dual tuner I also have the Haugpage 1800 when I was able to setup TV signal it only reconized one tune however it listed all three.

I have two PCs a lap top connected to a 27" TV my work station and the HTPC

the WS connects to the net w/ a range extender (at 144.5Mbps)WS is connected directly to RE w/ cat5 cable and the HTPC connects to the range extender though the USB network adapter (at 300Mbps) can't seam to get the HTPC connected to net.
Thanks STB.
stevethebrain
 
Posts: 159
Joined: 14 August 2012
Location: Atlanta, GA,Ft.Walton BCH,FL
HTPC Specs: Show details

Post#10 » Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:46 pm

So the HTPC sees the one internal tuner but you still cant set up TV?

I know this isnt being very helpful, but you seem to have had more than your fair share of problems with WMC. It may be time to just bite the bullet and do a clean install and start from scratch.

If I were doing that, I'd try to simplify the setup. Temporarily run a wired connection, without using the usb ethernet adaptor & wireless if possible. Then once everything is running, start adding complexity back in until you get to your final configuration.
dmagerl
 
Posts: 283
Joined: 6 June 2011

Post#11 » Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:09 pm

dmagerl wrote:So the HTPC sees the one internal tuner but you still cant set up TV?

I know this isnt being very helpful, but you seem to have had more than your fair share of problems with WMC. It may be time to just bite the bullet and do a clean install and start from scratch.

If I were doing that, I'd try to simplify the setup. Temporarily run a wired connection, without using the usb ethernet adaptor & wireless if possible. Then once everything is running, start adding complexity back in until you get to your final configuration.


yes W7MC has setup one tuner. (it's probablley the Haugpage 1800) it also scanned for the channels sucssefully
additionalley I now have a guide, live TV and search Icon next to the already existing recorded TV Icon

however when I click live TV I get this message
video error
files needed to display video are not installed or are not working correctly restart windows or restart the computer.

if I click guide I see all the channels if I click a channel I get the same video error as w/ live TV.

after taking you'r advice from this link
https://www.silicondust.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10360
BTW solution one didn't work.
solution two has particalley resolved the issues

when I did procedure two in DOS I assume after each command I must press enter?
I also assume on the three commands DOS was waiting for a Y/Yes or N No response I responded all three w/ yes. Silicon dust is vague on these instructions.

when I click recordedTV even though the storage drives are pluggedin w/ SATA cable I get this message no shows have been recorded.

if I attempt to play from explorer I get the same video error.

weird I able to click recorded TV and setup a manuel scheduled recording.

I have restarted the PC.
STB




if I'm forced to do a reinstallation of the OS windows 7 will the storage HDDs SATA cable need to be disconnected?
Thanks STB
Last edited by stevethebrain on Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.
stevethebrain
 
Posts: 159
Joined: 14 August 2012
Location: Atlanta, GA,Ft.Walton BCH,FL
HTPC Specs: Show details

Post#12 » Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:21 pm

I always unplug every hard drive except the one win 7 is being installed on.

For some reason, I always seem to get the boot block on a different drive than C: if I dont do that. Once installed, they get plugged back in.

I also ensure there is a wired ethernet connection to your network, notably to your router (DHCP server), and then to your internet connection.
dmagerl
 
Posts: 283
Joined: 6 June 2011

Post#13 » Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:31 pm

please wait ten minutes then reread preious post I have been updating it.
stevethebrain
 
Posts: 159
Joined: 14 August 2012
Location: Atlanta, GA,Ft.Walton BCH,FL
HTPC Specs: Show details

Post#14 » Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:41 pm

I know you're trying to avoid it, but with all the problems you've been having, reinstalling is probably a good idea.
dmagerl
 
Posts: 283
Joined: 6 June 2011

Post#15 » Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:50 pm

I read here
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... 4549f0d0e9

W7MC was thinking the C:\ was my storage drive I switched it to a actualle storage drive I now have recorded TV programs Icons being displayed it's trying to completely repopulate all the 700+ programs it's stuck on 118, I still can't playback recorded TV.
stevethebrain
 
Posts: 159
Joined: 14 August 2012
Location: Atlanta, GA,Ft.Walton BCH,FL
HTPC Specs: Show details

Post#16 » Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:32 pm

still can't playback recorded TV
stevethebrain
 
Posts: 159
Joined: 14 August 2012
Location: Atlanta, GA,Ft.Walton BCH,FL
HTPC Specs: Show details

Post#17 » Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:55 pm

stevethebrain wrote:
when I click on networks available there are none to choose
when I click open network and sharing center click connect to a network all I get is
currently connected to
unidentified network no interner access
usalley theres about 20+ networks to choose from in the neiborhood.


Sorry to sound so blunt Steve, but, have you ever thought about getting your own internet connection rather than hitch-hiking off your neighbors?
User avatar
Crash2009
 
Posts: 3578
Joined: 17 May 2012
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan
HTPC Specs: Show details
5+ YrsTGB Veteran

Post#18 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:19 am

No live or recorded tv? Graphics drivers in my opinion. Get the ones from your motherboard manufacturers site if onboard..
Same with stand alone card from the oems site..
milli260876
 
Posts: 726
Joined: 8 June 2011
Location: Barnsley Sth Yorks
HTPC Specs: Show details
2+ YrsTGB Veteran
Lee

Post#19 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:39 am

Crash2009 wrote:Sorry to sound so blunt Steve, but, have you ever thought about getting your own internet connection rather than hitch-hiking off your neighbors?

/\This. If you search his post history here and at AVS it is also pretty obvious he can't re-install Windows because he doesn't have a valid license.
3rob3
 
Posts: 537
Joined: 28 August 2011
5+ YrsTGB Veteran

Post#20 » Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:49 pm

milli260876 wrote:No live or recorded tv? Graphics drivers in my opinion. Get the ones from your motherboard manufacturers site if onboard..
Same with stand alone card from the oems site..

I created a a DVD restore the orginale drivers from the PC manufactor I will reinstall and report back.

I do have a key code for both my PCs OS however since windows98 millieium when PC co's provided restore OS disc. it's been kindof diffacult for me to reinstall.

I unplug the HTPCs USB network adapter frequently seams that all I had to do was reinstall it's drivers from believe it the DVD the manufactor provided.
STB
stevethebrain
 
Posts: 159
Joined: 14 August 2012
Location: Atlanta, GA,Ft.Walton BCH,FL
HTPC Specs: Show details

Next

Return to Windows 7 Media Center



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

cron