Running Windows Media Center @ 2160p/4K !!!!!

Xiola69

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by Xiola69 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:38 pm

cwinfield wrote:Displayport to HDMI 2 adapters are available now http://www.anandtech.com/show/9867/club ... 20-adapter This will not solve needing HDCP 2.2 and bottom line is you don't want a 4K TV without 4K@60hz HDMI 2 or HDCP 2.2
Great to know, will pick this up for the basement TV, Thanks!

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:35 am

cwinfield wrote:Displayport to HDMI 2 adapters are available now http://www.anandtech.com/show/9867/club ... 20-adapter This will not solve needing HDCP 2.2 and bottom line is you don't want a 4K TV without 4K@60hz HDMI 2 or HDCP 2.2
Yea, WMC does not support HDCP via display port. SO no matter what Display port adapter you get, it will not allow you to watch protected content...

I am running a GTX 750ti, Using WMC at 4K @ 60hz. If you want HDCP 2.2 under HDMI I think you have to go up to GTX960+ for it. I know they come with HDMI 2.0...

and Agree with you, but, correcting you.....4K@60hz HDMI 2 AND HDCP 2.2. There are 4K TVs with HDMI 2.0 with HDCP 2.0 on them....NO 4K blue ray for those users..
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

cwinfield

Post by cwinfield » Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:55 am

DavidinCT wrote:
Yea, WMC does not support HDCP via display port. SO no matter what Display port adapter you get, it will not allow you to watch protected content...

I am running a GTX 750ti, Using WMC at 4K @ 60hz. If you want HDCP 2.2 under HDMI I think you have to go up to GTX960+ for it. I know they come with HDMI 2.0...

and Agree with you, but, correcting you.....4K@60hz HDMI 2 AND HDCP 2.2. There are 4K TVs with HDMI 2.0 with HDCP 2.0 on them....NO 4K blue ray for those users..
Good points, I forgot about the displayport and playready not working.

Paul Anderegg

Post by Paul Anderegg » Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:43 pm

I just put together a new MCE PC, using an Asus Gene Viii with DP1.2 and HDMI 1.4. I will eventually add a 4K TV to the mix, and would like to use the integrated Skylake graphics for 4k 60p output from Windows Media Center. I am looking at the 3D DP to HDMI 2.0 dongle that has HDCP 2.2, and wondering if I can use that on my DP port (with the adaptor below) to run Media Center at 4K 60p for watching Cox Cable........I don't have pay channels, just standard cable package, NatGeo, Discovery etc. I know these record "protected content" files, but not sure if those constitute an issue or not? My primary channel I need is ABC, which is 60p, so 60p playback is a must if I go 4K for the TV. I just don't want to have to standards convert too many times from the cable signal to the final display resolution! :-)

http://www.club-3d.com/index.php/produc ... apter.html

Paul

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:43 pm

Paul Anderegg wrote:I just put together a new MCE PC, using an Asus Gene Viii with DP1.2 and HDMI 1.4. I will eventually add a 4K TV to the mix, and would like to use the integrated Skylake graphics for 4k 60p output from Windows Media Center. I am looking at the 3D DP to HDMI 2.0 dongle that has HDCP 2.2, and wondering if I can use that on my DP port (with the adaptor below) to run Media Center at 4K 60p for watching Cox Cable........I don't have pay channels, just standard cable package, NatGeo, Discovery etc. I know these record "protected content" files, but not sure if those constitute an issue or not? My primary channel I need is ABC, which is 60p, so 60p playback is a must if I go 4K for the TV. I just don't want to have to standards convert too many times from the cable signal to the final display resolution! :-)

http://www.club-3d.com/index.php/produc ... apter.html

Paul
If you used a HDMI to DP, it might be possible that it could work as long as the DP adapter supported DRM. Using DP to HDMI will not work.

Windows Media Center will display over DP but, NO SECURE channels, this would include Blu-ray or other protected content. I suggest finding a way to use HDMI or DVI-D, avoid DP with Media Center, if 6 months down the line you decide to add HBO or they give a free weekend, you wont be able to watch it. Also, some other content on "cable channels" like AMC, or even discovery can have DRM flags attached to them. I have seen this issue on AMC a few times (normally a channel on extended basic)

It could work but, your only asking for trouble later.

BTW, HDMI 1.4a (most cards have at least this today) does support 4K @ 60hz...
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:15 am

Ok, Did a upgrade for 4K on my WMC machine, Upgraded from a GTX750 ti, to a GTX1050 2gb card. This card has HDMI 2.0b, DHCP 2.2 and HEVC/h265 HARDWARE decoding. I changed the LAV filters to support hardware HEVC playback.

I have tested 2 4K Blu-ray rips, the first movie is a very high bit rate, for a 2 hour movie, it is 115gb (largest size movie I own). WMC was a choppy mess with the old 750 and with the 1050 w/HEVC decoding, it is FLAWLESS.

I am fully ready for 4K video now :)
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Pixelz

Post by Pixelz » Sun Jan 29, 2017 8:19 pm

@DavidinCT
Thanks for the information.
Is the fan noise from your GTX1050 a problem?

coolwhip

Post by coolwhip » Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:58 pm

Jimmersd wrote:Something interesting here and the only reason I discovered it was because of this thread.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center\Display Settings
REG_SZ Value: DisableBtDepthCheck
Data: 32

Since it is next to impossible to find a complete list of keys and adjustments with descriptions available for the Window/WMC registry, sometimes the only way to discover new things is to experiment. I saw this key and was curious what would happen if increased the value to 64. I saw an immediate change in the way that my Echo changed channels and the clarity of the picture. Channels changed faster, usually no pixallation but not eliminated. And better over all response to fast moving scenes.

I'm fairly certain that someone is going to say that all this setting does is to change the point where Windows will complain about the bit depth but I have found that increasing this to 64 and beyond has had a marked improvement on the performance of both of my extenders.

Discuss....
I applied this tip and immediately saw the same improvements in channel changing speed and picture quality on my extenders and HTPC. Amazing! Thanks...

sgbroimp

Post by sgbroimp » Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:10 pm

Interesting but for those of us less gifted/computer literate can you explain where you went to and how you made this change?

Pixelz

Post by Pixelz » Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:26 am

@sgbroimp
Disclaimer: I have not made this specific change myself.

This is a registry change and you will need to run REGEDIT or REGEDT32 from the command line as administrator to invoke the registry editor.
Use the left pane to navigate to --
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center\Display Settings
Then in the right hand pane find the key named DisableBitDepthCheck and double-click it to display the edit dialogue box
Finally change the value from 32 to 64 and click OK.

I'm assuming this change will require a restart of media centre to take effect.

Warning: If you make any mistakes editing the registry the consequences can be serious, so make sure you have a backup!

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:05 pm

Pixelz wrote:@DavidinCT
Thanks for the information.
Is the fan noise from your GTX1050 a problem?
With the case off on a short GTX1050 (My HTPC case can fit a big one but, it's tight so I try to avoid large cards), it's not much louder than the old GTX750 that was not too noisy in the first place.

From my listening spot I cant even hear a fan..

I didn't get a big fancy one, I didn't need one in my HTPC, the GTX750 did fine for everything else, I just wanted HEVC decoding and that was the main reason to get it.
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

soccer4270

Post by soccer4270 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:47 pm

DavidinCT,

I'm looking at upgrading to the EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 SC GAMING ACX 3.0 08G-P4-6183-KR for 4K and wanted to know your thoughts on the capacity of it performing full 4K.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:01 am

soccer4270 wrote:DavidinCT,

I'm looking at upgrading to the EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 SC GAMING ACX 3.0 08G-P4-6183-KR for 4K and wanted to know your thoughts on the capacity of it performing full 4K.
Nice card. If your gaming, sure great card to own. If your only using WMC for movies, etc in 4K, I think it's a little over powered.

I have been testing this GTX1050 and I have played 5 4K movies and no problems. So you should be fine with that card.
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

soccer4270

Post by soccer4270 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:56 am

Are you able to get 4K 60 Hz? Have you tried any HDR content?

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:01 pm

soccer4270 wrote:Are you able to get 4K 60 Hz? Have you tried any HDR content?
With the GTX1050, I am running at 4K @60hz with no problem, I also was running at 4K @ 60hz on my GTX750 with out a problem but, I moved to the 1050 because of HEVC/x265 hardware decoding, the 750 didn't have that. As when I tried 4K movies they were a slide show but, flawless on the 1050 (need to configure codecs tho)

I have 5 4K movies 2 of them are HDR but, NVIDIA does not offically support HDR yet (nor does ATI as I understand it, they DO support deep color tho). Still wondering how it will work in WMC, as this will be a test. There should be a driver soon that will offer it.

But, the 4k movies look really impressive.
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

soccer4270

Post by soccer4270 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:24 pm

Thats what I have been having a hard time definitely discovering is if it would do HDR. It states HDMI 2.0b which covers HDR content so than it should just be a driver update as you said (heres hoping)

soccer4270

Post by soccer4270 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:27 pm

found an interesting white paper regarding the GTX 1080

http://international.download.nvidia.co ... _FINAL.pdf

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:29 pm

soccer4270 wrote:found an interesting white paper regarding the GTX 1080

http://international.download.nvidia.co ... _FINAL.pdf
Agreed, I came along with that too, the hardware does support it bot on the ATI and NVIDIA but, the drivers/Windows do not support it as of now. It is a standard in HDMI 2.0a as I understand it (to get certified in the HDMI 2.0a spec, it's required HDR).

I did a little more research on this subject, as HDR is not a big deal right now on a PC till you have a lot of content...

So it's more of software support at this time. And from what I am reading, you might REQURE Windows 10. So, Windows Media Center might be out (the hacked version does not work with cablecards and DRM if it's updated and you will need to be fully updated to use HDR).

Here is a little discussion on it over at AVS...

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/465-high- ... dr-pc.html

It really is looking like a fully updated Windows 10 machine.... You might be able to get CLOSE but, no HDR on Windows 7 or 8.1, unless something changes.

Then you need official sources for HDR...4K Blu-ray ? Sure a software/hardware combo should be out soon(Cyberlink UltraHD package), but, it will require a 7 gen INTEL CPU and a lot of other really funky specs. This also REQUIRES PlayReady 3.0...Microsoft has made it 100% clear that it wont be coming for 7 or 8.1....so again Windows 10...

Sigh... it looks pretty now but, once you take a jump into HDR, it's a starting to look like a whole different world...

I love WMC and use it almost every day but, I was just waiting for the time when it just wont be compatible....and those days are looking darker and darker starting with HDR.
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

soccer4270

Post by soccer4270 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:22 am

DavidinCT wrote: Then you need official sources for HDR...4K Blu-ray ? Sure a software/hardware combo should be out soon(Cyberlink UltraHD package), but, it will require a 7 gen INTEL CPU and a lot of other really funky specs. This also REQUIRES PlayReady 3.0...Microsoft has made it 100% clear that it wont be coming for 7 or 8.1....so again Windows 10...
maybe Microsoft will soon realize what they got and surprise us with a WMC for 4K if they are limiting it only to that? Haha in my dreams.

Maybe i will have to start looking into HDHomeRun prime and windows 10, utilizing emby theater.

I currently am using emby theater and madvr with hauppage tuners with clearQAM signal. With the madvr i can scale up the SD signal of the clearQAM to a decent enough 1080p. My current graphics card is not as powerful so I cannot take full advantage of the better algorithms, but it is a start.

werds

Post by werds » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:46 am

DavidinCT wrote:Hey all,

I fixed this issue once and for all. I have disabled this message so rebooting or re-opening Windows Media Center will No longer show this message !!!! FINALLY !!!! After a day or testing on 8.1 and rebooting to Windows 7 (I dual booth on my HTPC), I applied this fix and it removed it, so it works on 7 and 8.1....

So, so background on this issue and the problem. When WMC starts it checks this key to make sure WMC is running in the recommend resolution, if this key is modified, it will change it back to the default. I have proven if you add this key with 3840x2160 before WMC starts, this message will not show but, the next time you run it, it will. So what I attempted was to no longer allow Windows Media Center to CHANGE THIS KEY. By giving "system" ONLY permission to "read" this key and no longer change, the key never goes back to the default and this message will NEVER appear again. :)

In the registry...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center\Display Settings

Change "DisableHighCheck" to "3840x2160"

After that, Right click on "Display Settings" go to permissions. What you need to do is make the user you log in as the "owner" (it used to be "system"), Make sure your logon account has "full control" put "System" to "read only" and Administrators "read only".

So, at this point
<user logon account> Full control
System - Read ONLY
Administrators - Read only

This does work, tested on 8.1 and 7...
Putting a pin in this one here in order to figure out why it is not working for me (finally got around to trying this last night and spent way too much time fighting with greyed out permission boxes then finally after I removed inheritable permissions and tried with what was left it still kept resetting it back :(