Media Center crashes randomly, ehshell.exe CLR20r3

poit57

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by poit57 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:15 pm

I upgraded from the June 2014 release to the December 2014 release two nights ago. I haven't had any crashing issues since, so I am hoping that the firmware upgrade resolved this issue. I will continue to keep an eye on it.

byronomo

Post by byronomo » Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:05 pm

I am experiencing similar symptoms. I was briefly encouraged when I read that updating the firmware to the November 2014 version for the HDHR Prime (I have 2) seemed to be a fix. However it didn't correct the WMC crashing issue.

In my case, I have about 10 PCs running WMC and 2 of them started experiencing this issue on the same day: March 6, 2015. I can't contemplate any reason why the 2 PCs (different models, but both running Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit) would start experiencing this behavior.

I have tried searching for solutions but none have worked. I have tried "sfc /scannow" but nothing was amiss. I tried disabling and re-enabling Media Center, but the problem persists. I tried deleting the mediastore .db file, but it didn't work. I tried creating a new user account on the PC, but media center still crashed under the new user account. I tried the solution from Microsoft forums with the "/regserver" and "/unregserver" switches--to no avail.

Here is the error detail for the first occurrence on one of my PCs:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Information 3/6/2015 8:55:53 AM Windows Error Reporting 1001 None

Log Name: Application
Source: Windows Error Reporting
Date: 3/6/2015 8:55:53 AM
Event ID: 1001
Task Category: None
Level: Information
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: PCName
Description:
Fault bucket , type 0
Event Name: CLR20r3
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: ehrec.exe
P2: 6.1.7600.16385
P3: 4a5bd034
P4: mcstore
P5: 6.1.0.0
P6: 4ce7b873
P7: 929
P8: 0
P9: mentOutOfRangeException.431B29E0
P10:

Attached files:
C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\AppData\Local\Temp\WEREFC4.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml
C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\AppData\Local\Temp\WEREFC5.tmp.hdmp
C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\AppData\Local\Temp\WERF7C2.tmp.mdmp

These files may be available here:
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportQueue\AppCrash_ehrec.exe_6552ff4a7f66782f66e8524bfe85127774b8dad_cab_555bf89a

Analysis symbol:
Rechecking for solution: 0
Report Id: 7f3e0a8d-c408-11e4-b87c-000d3aa5d6d3
Report Status: 4
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Windows Error Reporting" />
<EventID Qualifiers="0">1001</EventID>
<Level>4</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2015-03-06T13:55:53.000000000Z" />
<EventRecordID>243998</EventRecordID>
<Channel>Application</Channel>
<Computer>PCName</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data>
</Data>
<Data>0</Data>
<Data>CLR20r3</Data>
<Data>Not available</Data>
<Data>0</Data>
<Data>ehrec.exe</Data>
<Data>6.1.7600.16385</Data>
<Data>4a5bd034</Data>
<Data>mcstore</Data>
<Data>6.1.0.0</Data>
<Data>4ce7b873</Data>
<Data>929</Data>
<Data>0</Data>
<Data>mentOutOfRangeException.431B29E0</Data>
<Data>
</Data>
<Data>
C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\AppData\Local\Temp\WEREFC4.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml
C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\AppData\Local\Temp\WEREFC5.tmp.hdmp
C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\AppData\Local\Temp\WERF7C2.tmp.mdmp</Data>
<Data>C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportQueue\AppCrash_ehrec.exe_6552ff4a7f66782f66e8524bfe85127774b8dad_cab_555bf89a</Data>
<Data>
</Data>
<Data>0</Data>
<Data>7f3e0a8d-c408-11e4-b87c-000d3aa5d6d3</Data>
<Data>4</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If anyone can offer any additional guidance, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

cwinfield

Post by cwinfield » Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:26 pm

Did you try this?

This may be caused by the media center data store, I suggest to rebuild the media center data store:

1. Exit any running instance of Windows Media Center.

2. Delete the mediaCenterDataStore.db file. By default, this file is in the following location:

%SYSTEMDRIVE%\ProgramData\Microsoft\eHome\mediaCenterDataStore.db

To delete the file, follow these steps:

a. Click Start ,and then click Run .

b. In the Open box, type run , and then click OK

c. In the Open box, type %systemdrive%\programdata\microsoft\ehome , and then click OK .

d. In the details pane, right-click mediacenterdatastore.db , and then click Delete .

e. Click Yes to confirm that you want to move the Mediacenterdatastore.db file to the Recycle Bin.

3. Start Windows Media Center and check if the issue is resolved.

Beyond that did you recently update your graphics or network adapters?

byronomo

Post by byronomo » Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:53 am

cwinfield wrote:Did you try this?

This may be caused by the media center data store, I suggest to rebuild the media center data store:

Beyond that did you recently update your graphics or network adapters?
Thank you. I did try to rebuild the media center data store (even though the filename on my PC was different from that in the example), but the problem persisted.

I have checked for updated NIC/Graphics drivers and updated when available....the problem persisted before and after any updates.

-------------------------
However, I just noticed something:

Again (for at least the 15th time), I tried disabling/enabling Media Center from the Control Panel. My Media Center PCs are all set up to automatically move recordings to my WHS (v1) and to access that folder on the server for Recorded TV (basically whole-house DVR). I noticed that after re-enabling WMC a few minutes ago, I went to Recorded TV and the list of recordings was populating before my eyes. Then, in the middle of this process WMC crashed as per the original symptoms. So, again, I disabled WMC and Enabled it again. This time, however, I removed the Recorded TV Folder on my WHS from the MediaLibrary (so that WMC only looks to the local drive for recordings).

Upon doing this, I was able to Open WMC and at least view LiveTV for a few minutes without it crashing (prior to doing this WMC would've crashed almost immediately).

So now I'm wondering if the problem lies with either:

1)The WHS connector on the PC
2)The WHS Media Center Connector (which is listed in the "Extras" menu in WMC)
3)A recording on my WHS that somehow has become corrupted and causes WMC to crash whenever it accesses the recording (even if just to pick up the title, etc for the Recorded TV Listings)
4)Something else entirely.......

I am now in the process of performing the following test(s):
1)I will add the Recorded TV folder on my WHS back to the WMC Media Library and see if it crashes as it is loading the titles as it did before.
2)If it does crash, I will again disable/enable WMC, remove the WHS Recorded TV folder from the WMC Media Library and again confirm that WMC is stable when not pointing to the WHS.
3)Then I will create a new folder on my WHS and call it "DVR Recordings" and copy one of my Recordings from the Recorded TV folder on the WHS and set WMC to look at "DVR Recordings" and will observe to see if WMC crashes upon accessing that recording.
4)If it doesn't crash, I will move all recordings of that show to the "DVR Recordings" folder and test again. Then I will copy all recordings from the next show and test.

Perhaps in this way, I will be able to discover if it is a WHS-related issue or an issue with one or more recorded shows.

Thanks again for your response!

cwinfield

Post by cwinfield » Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:20 am

I seem to remember a discussion where a specific recording being displayed on screen in recorded tv lists causing crashes but can't seem to dig it up in my search.

byronomo

Post by byronomo » Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:13 am

I'm still performing the test as indicated above (Step 4), so far so good. It is very time consuming, but I will post back with updates as I have them.

I started out by deleting the the set of recordings (one particular TV show) that was being populated at the time of the last time it crashed....I'm hoping that one of those recordings was the culprit.

ogiewon

Post by ogiewon » Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:23 am

I have had a corrupted recording cause the symptoms you describe. I think you're on right track. Good Luck!

byronomo

Post by byronomo » Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:42 pm

I think you're right.... I've arrived at that conclusion after experiencing what I initially thought was a bit of a setback: another of my HTPCs started crashing. However, that seems to point to a corrupted recording on the shared server.

Therefore, instead of deleting recorded shows by title, I decided to delete all shows that were recorded 5 days prior to experiencing the WMC crashes. So far, so good---but I still need to do some additional testing across the other HTPCs.

Interesting that after searching for a solution for this on the web, I've seen many posts that point to a corrupted .db file, but none that seem to point to a corrupted recording. I hope that the corrupted recording ends up being the culprit because that will mean my problem is solved and hopefully others can benefit from that knowledge!

byronomo

Post by byronomo » Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:13 am

I'm glad to report that my HTPCs have been running without incident for over a week now so I believe that this problem has been solved. The culprit was one or more corrupted recordings. Despite the fact that I took many steps in an attempt to diagnose and resolve this issue, here are the ones that (in hindsight) seemed to fix the problem.

1. I looked through the Event Viewer to see when the CLR20r3 error first started to occur.
2. I deleted the recordings that had occurred prior to that event to the last known time that I'd viewed RecordedTV without incident. In my case these recordings were on a Windows Home Server (v1) and, therefore, I was experiencing the WMC crash issue on multiple HTPCs that used that server.
3. I rebooted the PC(s) that were experiencing the issue

It all seems simple in hindsight, but I was unable to find any solutions on the internet that identified this as the culprit nor a similar fix.

Thanks to all who kindly replied.

i4b

Post by i4b » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:12 pm

Cheers byronomo!

You Nailed it...
Here is how I fixed it with your comments:
1. Close WMC
2. Create a new Recorder TV folder e.g. with the name 'Recorded TV NEW' in Windows Explorer
3. Move alle files with recorded TV to this folder. (If you put the new folder on the same disk, Windows is very quick with this)
4. Restart the computer.
5. Start WMC and check that 'Recorderd TV' is now empty.
6. In case you need to input a transponderlist; close WMC and run the appropiate software ( I have a Digital Devices TV card that comes with this software )
7. In case you stopped WMC, start it again.
8. Do a new TV Signal scan.
9. Problem solved!
10. Now you may choose what you do with the files in the folder 'Recorded TV NEW'

WMC is the best!