Warning - if you use the RDP hack on Win7 home premium

mercalia

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by mercalia » Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:12 am

where is rd wrapper as the link above dont work?

mark1234

Post by mark1234 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:26 am

Link has just worked for me, though I actually downloaded it from github: https://github.com/binarymaster/rdpwrap/
Windows Media Centre - Abandoned by Microsoft

daveiw100

Post by daveiw100 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:32 pm

I discovered that Windows Security uopdate KB3003743 kill the RDP hack (RDP patcher).
With this update installed, RDP connects, then immediately disconnects.
Windows security event log shows Logon, followed immediately by Logoff.
I de-installed the update, and RDP successfull connects

May be time to RDP Wrapper as an alternative

Dave

Rainey

Post by Rainey » Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:29 am

Yes, i was just trying this RDPwrap program from here, it has a config program to make it easy to change the setting for multi session per user.
https://github.com/binarymaster/rdpwrap

But i find if i have WMC setup to auto start then when i remote in as the same user it trys to open WMC on the remote session and leaves the WMC splash screen on top as WMC never finishes opening in a remote session.

So what do you all do, log on as a different user ?, Not have WMC auto start ?
I guess i just need to turn off auto start in WMC task setting before i try and remote into this PC.

mark1234

Post by mark1234 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:04 am

I have 7MC set to autostart, log in with the same user and it starts fine. Bit slow to log in, but that's more a feature of my HTPC.

I noticed the config program as well, but as I'd previously used the install script from the hack to set the registry values I didn't need to change anything.
Windows Media Centre - Abandoned by Microsoft

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:48 pm

Thanks for bringing RDP Wrapper to my attention. Been using it for a while now after that second WU came through that broke RDP; no problems so far :)

Rainey

Post by Rainey » Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:16 pm

mark1234 wrote:I have 7MC set to autostart, log in with the same user and it starts fine. Bit slow to log in, but that's more a feature of my HTPC.

I noticed the config program as well, but as I'd previously used the install script from the hack to set the registry values I didn't need to change anything.
Interesting, i will have to look into what is going on then, as when i do a remote login WMC launch on the RDP session seems to hang and the splash screen it top most even when i open other programs. May be need to wait longer at least once for it to finish loading.

Rainey

Post by Rainey » Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:44 am

I can not edit my posts so to contine.

I could not RDP into the WMC PC with the same user and run WMC in the remote session as eshell would crash. So if MC was set to auto start then in the remote session MC would hang starting up.

This is what fixed that issue.
I investigated and found that the reg key permissions for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Terminal Server\WinStations\Rdp-Tcp key did not include any permissions for the Users group, as the other subkeys did. I added Users to the list ans set to allow Read.

bobcrane

Post by bobcrane » Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:46 pm

For those of you still using the hack, have you applied the update mentioned in this thread?

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-shar ... pdate.html

The update is hosted on anonfiles which is down. Please let me know if you know where else to get the update as I haven't applied it yet.

My understanding is it fixes the first Winupdate, but one came out afterwards that will still have to be uninstalled.

mumu

Post by mumu » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:02 pm

Hi everyone
Someone have installed RDPwrapper on my unit in the office and it interferes with my terminal server software that I got from thinstuff. The rdpwrapper was unistalled but some components got left behind and still causing problems. I have unistalled and reinstalled thinstuff software but no luck. Any help?

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:27 am

Sfc/scannow