How to move recorded tv folder to mapped drive

Venom51

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by Venom51 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:46 am

ewalker wrote:Hi Venom,

Did you ever get this working?

Thanks
I've been too swamped with getting things ready to go to Telco TV to get back to it.

Venom51

Post by Venom51 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:13 am

Since I was doing the science project I had a descent reason to copy off all the recordings from my storage machine and give this another go. It does indeed work however I can confirm that the local Media center still reports the local drive size and recordings beyond that point may not work. I've 400 Gigs in the local box and 1 TB on the remote server. I'll have to see if the box continues to record after 400 GB's has been used.

*This creates odd behaviors in DVBLink. Viewing of live TV failed this morning with a no tuners available message.*

GreenMachine

Post by GreenMachine » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:02 am

Did anyone ever get this to work right? I could swear I did this a long time ago and it didn't work right due to throughput, but I want to try it again for a completely different setup.

Connecting to a network drive that lives on the same host. NAS running Windows in a VM. Virtual drives are annoying and slow. I'd rather let WMC record directly to NAS without the middle-man. To be clear I'm asking about how to force WMC to use a network drive for a recorder, or for Windows to treat a network drive as local. I could swear there was a way in the registry to force WMC, but I can't find it. Why? You know why. Those people that always show up to answer a question in forums the OP didn't ask, offer a hokey duct tape solution instead, or a solution for a different problem. It makes searching impossible.

"Well y'know you CAN'T do that. But you can get this half-baked freemium utility that gives you SOMETHING like your desired result. It's developed by AssEndOfTheWorld Technologies that might work for a month or two, or however long it takes for you to forget it's there, so you can then spend several hours trying to figure out the problems it's causing on your system that you can't understand WHY they'd be related. "

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:30 pm

I found a bit of an alternative to this but it requires recorded tv hd. I have 2 win 7 boxes, and one WHS 2011 box. I automatically archive my tv recordings to the WHS box to save space, and centralize storage. I added my WHS recorded TV folder to the watch list of RTVHD, and I then hardlinked my RTVHD databases together so that a change to my primary RTVHD database will be immediately reflected in my secondary instance of RTVHD. This gives me a way for WMC to read metadata on a network drive, and my metadata, and view counts are conssitent across every machine. There was a bit more work that I had to put into this but I'll have to repeat the whole process because I just rebuilt one of my machines. If someone is interested in trying this out then let me know. For movies I use either Emby, or Modern Media UI+ for metadata.

captain_video

Post by captain_video » Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:47 pm

I just set up a media library for Recorded TV shows that includes both my local Recorded TV folder as well as a designated folder on my unRAID server. Any new recordings get recorded on the local drive but both the new recordings and any shows I have in the folder on the server all show up in the Recorded TV folder in WMC. I use ShowAnalyzerSuite for tagging commercials so I just copy the shows over to the folder on the server after the show has been tagged along with all of the ancillary files that are produced. This allows me to skip commercials even when the files are located on my server. I wouldn't even consider setting up a batch program to automatically transfer recorded show to my server as I am not sure that it can tag commercials on a remote drive. I don't keep a lot of shows on my local drive as I try to watch them within a few days of being recorded so I don't get backlogged. If I want to archive shows I'll edit out the commercials, save them in mkv format, and then copy them over to my server.