Where is complete documentation for remote functions?

DrHow

HTPC Specs: Show details

Where is complete documentation for remote functions?

Post by DrHow » Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:13 am

The only documentation I have been able to find for what remote control buttons are supposed to do simply tells me what is obvious. However, I have recently begun to discover, by accident, other very useful functions. This makes me suspect that there may be other good stuff I am missing. Where can I find it?

I will give some examples of function I have discovered:

Numeric Prefix on navigation commands - If you enter a number before hitting Skip, the number specifies the number of 30 second increments that occur. E.g., "30<skip>" will advance 15 minutes. "4<replay>" will back up 28 seconds. "20<FF>" will advance 20 seconds. Etc.

Large time jumps in Guide - The Skip button advances 12 hours. The FF button advances 3 hours. Etc. Numeric prefix does not work on these functions.

One thing that I would really hope for is a way to jump ahead several days in the Guide. One week from now is still 14 presses of the Skip button. Even a keyboard solution to this problem would be welcome.

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:02 am

DrHow

Post by DrHow » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:03 pm

Well, that did not help. I had already found the keyboard shortcuts documentation myself; but I was looking for remote documentation. (I had not thought to use the word "shortcut".) The remote shortcuts page told me less than I had already figured out. Since it's a wiki, I added the navigation shortcuts I had discovered for the Guide.

Given the subtlety of the things I had discovered, I am surprised that there are no other goodies which I have not discovered.

Is there any way to jump forward many days in the Guide that's better than lots of presses of skip forwards? (A keyboard solution on that issue would also be helpful.)

Ack

Post by Ack » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:11 pm

Not sure if this is what you're looking for but if you press and hold the right navigation button (to the right of the OK button) the guide will scroll by hour quickly a bit then display text indicating it's scrolling by morning, midday, evening, etc for each day; release the button when you're in the neighborhood of where you want to be. You can scroll fairly fast day-by-day that way.

DrHow

Post by DrHow » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:17 pm

Ack wrote:Not sure if this is what you're looking for but if you press and hold the right navigation button (to the right of the OK button) the guide will scroll by hour quickly a bit then display text indicating it's scrolling by morning, midday, evening, etc for each day; release the button when you're in the neighborhood of where you want to be. You can scroll fairly fast day-by-day that way.
I had discovered that also; but I like the way skip forward works better. In general, I dislike the Navigator GUI for Time Warner's DVRs; but they do admit a numeric prefix to advance by days with the forward arrow button. The fastest way I have discovered to advance many days in the WMC Guide is to go into single channel mode and use page down on my keyboard; but that does not help if there are other channels that you want to mess with on the same future date.

Ack

Post by Ack » Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:23 pm

Well, at least you helped me a little. I'm fairly new to Media Center and wasn't aware of the skip and fast forward use while in the guide. That will come in handy; thanks for that one.

DrHow

Post by DrHow » Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:08 am

I discovered another one: The Channel Up/Down buttons function as Page Up/Down in most contexts where you have multiple lines which can be scrolled. E.g., the Guide, Scheduled Recordings, History, Synopsis; but, oddly, not Other Showings.

Ack

Post by Ack » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:54 am

I hadn't noticed that. Channel up/down seems to only work in a couple of places in the information detail. I guess I haven't tried to use it enough in there to notice it not working throughout the detail. It does come in handy though most places where you want to move quickly up or down a list.