Netflix freezing media center

jedipunk

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by jedipunk » Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:58 pm

Never installed MyMovies on this machine. I do have MediaBrowser installed.

peterc408

Post by peterc408 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:31 pm

jedipunk wrote:Never installed MyMovies on this machine. I do have MediaBrowser installed.
True. While I have found that upgradign MyMovies has made the Netflix operation much more stable, it does occasionally still crash in the same spot. Instead of being everytime, it is now just on some movies. After reading comments from others, including the one about it not happening when not in full screnn, I think that it is video related. I use the native graphics chip on my Gigabyte H55N-USB3 MB, which is an intel chip that recently got a new video driver update - does this ring a bell with anyone else?

darkesp

Post by darkesp » Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:38 pm

peterc408 wrote:
jedipunk wrote:Never installed MyMovies on this machine. I do have MediaBrowser installed.
I use the native graphics chip on my Gigabyte H55N-USB3 MB, which is an intel chip that recently got a new video driver update - does this ring a bell with anyone else?
I'm experiencing the same problem, starting around the same time (though I don't know exactly when because I often stop shows during the credits). I'm also running Intel integrated graphics, with a G41 chipset. However, I checked my Windows Update logs and the last time it lists a display driver update is April 13th of this year, so that doesn't seem like a likely cause for me.

I also have MediaBrowser installed but don't use MyMovies. Very frustrating problem, especially since I usually keep my keyboard tucked away so it doesn't clutter up the living room.

Lug77

Post by Lug77 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:02 am

I'm having the same issue 100% of the time and do not have MyMovies but I do have Media Browser. I upgraded to Silverlight 5 RC which helped for a few days but the issue came back. My video chipset is GeForce 8200. Also the issue is consistent on my secondary Win7MC which is running and Intel chipset. I haven't tested it on my Win7 laptop though.

PrplHaz4

Post by PrplHaz4 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:53 am

Just wanted to chime in and add my name to the list.... 7MC x64 with all updates, nforce/nvidia 8300...this issue is really affecting the GAF...just when she was starting to like it...

Currently my only installed add-in is the boxee switcher...

ineoki

Post by ineoki » Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:16 am

Same here. Acer Aspire 4520: GeForce 7000M, AMD Turion 64 x2, 2GB DDR2 RAM, Windows 7 Ultimate x64 w/ SP1 and Internet Explorer 9. I can open WMC and watch any netflix show or movie but at the last frame it completely freezes and I have to open Task Manager and end ehshell.exe; though listed as responding in task manager, I have zero functionality within WMC at the last frame of any given show or movie. :( Very annoying when trying to watch a series with the wife.

I've tried running FixWin v1.2 and using the WMC rebuild feature. It rebuilt WMC and I had to click automatic download to get netflix back... still no luck. So this definitely seems to be something related to the netflix plugin, as stated before. Someone mentioned something about IE being the backbone of the plugin...is that correct?

gpatlanta

Post by gpatlanta » Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:20 pm

Hi all,

I reponded over at the expert community as well. This issue does not seem to be affecting me. I am running Windows 7 64bit Home Premium, do not run auto updates and haven't updated in a couple months, have aN Asus board with 2nd gen sandy bridge running intel MB graphics only, but have had issues with their driver updates from the beginning so am using the original drivers that worked (Apr 2011 timeframe).

Since reading about this, I have tried several movies and tv shows where i have fast forwarded to near rhe end and let run through the credits. It always returns to media center without locking.
Last edited by gpatlanta on Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greg

gpatlanta

Post by gpatlanta » Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:22 pm

Oh yeah, i do run in full screen too. Am i unique? I can't be the only one this isn't affecting. Anything else I can do to help figure this out?
Greg

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:00 pm

I think the key to what you said is, "...do not run auto updates and haven't updated in a couple of months".

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

My Win7 box is just a cable box. Any web access is limited to guide updates and the occasional network web site to catch a show that I missed (dammit, I should just set up a Blue Bloods keyword channel and not depend on the series recording--not when CBS mucks with things and the guide lags behind). The likelihood of my needing security updates is nil.

Combined with the seemingly endless stream of reports of stuff like this that "suddenly" happen, I'm convinced that updates are worse than not updating.

mtobey

Post by mtobey » Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:58 pm

Solution: Uninstall Media Browser

I noticed a lot of people saying they have Media Browser installed and it reminded me that I started experiencing this problem around the time I installed Media Browser. I tried quitting the MB process and that didn't work, but completely uninstalling MB has solved this problem for me. It's a bummer, because I like MB, but not enough to deal with this Netflix headache.

Hope this helps some folks.

gpatlanta

Post by gpatlanta » Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:03 pm

I use Media Browser all the time and like i said i am not experiencing this issue at all. Strange that Uninstalling MB would fix this for you though.
Greg

Eswayne

Post by Eswayne » Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:16 am

Had the exact same issue as all have stated here - Netflix would freeze at the end of each show, displaying just the last frame (whether black or otherwise) and not returning to WMC. Each time, I was able to kill WMC in Task Manager, but this didn't fix the issue.

I did have Media Browser installed, so I removed it based on some of the feedback in this forum. Glad to say the problem has been FIXED! I never used Media Browser to its full ability anyway, so I'll gladly leave it behind in exchange for a useable Netflix player.

Hope this works for some of you!

haizman

Post by haizman » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:48 am

I've never used Media Browser on the HTPC I am having this issue with...so maybe the "fix" isn't really the case for everyone.

What seems to have helped me (not 100% confirmed) is to install the RC of Silverlight.

I also switched back to using the Intel HD graphics in the I3 chip, and removed my ATI 5450.

EmirOfGroofunkistan

Post by EmirOfGroofunkistan » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:43 am

Is it possible to reinstall the ATI 5450 to see if just the RC silverlight install is what fixed the issue (or vice versa)?

boogmeister1

Post by boogmeister1 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:35 pm

I don't think it's a media browser issue. I have never had media browser installed and I'm having the issue too. The only thing I have installed other than the basic setup with Avermedia 2250"s and onboard ATI video is Total Media Theater and mymovies. Oh yeah, it's win7 32 bit.

Eric

fripp0971

Post by fripp0971 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:14 am

I solved my freezing problem today. I didn't have media browser.

I went into windows 7 programs and uninstalled silverlight, a silverlight add-in for media center and a flash add-in for media center.

Then I went into MC and went to netflix, ran it and it said I needed to install silverlight (as expected since I uninstalled it).

After I did this, netflix now works and no longer freezes.

My problems started on oct 13th which is when the latest SL update came out that I had.

CTBarbarin

Post by CTBarbarin » Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:10 am

Hello all,

Here is my work-around:
  • Start a show/movie late at night
  • I fall asleep during that show/movie
  • The show/movie ends and Netflix freezes on the last frame
  • The computer goes into Standby with Netflix still frozen and MC still open
  • When I wake up and wake the computer up, then Netflix no longer freezes at the last frame (although the problem does return...don't know if it is after MC restarts or after a reboot though)
Hope this helps :D

CTB

sindir

Post by sindir » Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:10 pm

The issue is with silverlight. Downloading the version 5 runtime beta will fix the issue.

http://www.silverlight.net/downloads install "silverlight 5 RC runtime"

mtobey

Post by mtobey » Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:26 pm

After a week with no problems by removing Media Browser, this issue has returned sporadically, which is better than it was before, but still not ideal. I will try the SL 5 beta and hope that helps.

TV_MCE

Post by TV_MCE » Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:50 pm

This issue has been fairly widely reported:
http://experts.windows.com/frms/windows ... 02176.aspx
http://experts.windows.com/frms/windows ... 02327.aspx

I reported the issue to Microsoft on 11/01--Case # 1164790147. So far they appear to be handling this by performing individual troubleshooting on my system via remote login and giving me various troubleshooting steps to perform. I have been telling them that (1) this is a widespread issue, (2) they need to attempt to re-create the problem, (3) a product bug needs to be filed with the WMC Netflix Plugin or Silverlight developers.

So far, the working hypothesis is that the only ones not affected are those that have Windows Update disabled or have not updated since September/October time frame.

fripp0971, as part of the above troubleshooting process with Microsoft, they completely removed and re-installed Silverlight. It did not solve the problem. Can you re-confirm that removing and re-installing the WMC Silverlight add-in solved the problem for you? (Note that you need to let shows play completely to the end and stop on their own. In a very limited number of cases, certain configuration changes caused the problem to go away temporarily but it immediatley returned the second time I let a show play to the very end.)