Scheduled recording silent failure

Soundwave

HTPC Specs: Show details

Scheduled recording silent failure

Post by Soundwave » Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:59 am

Got an odd recording issue within 7MC.
Some scheduled recordings are failing to start, but fail silently without leaving any evidence of the failure in the Recorded TV History or Event Log.
Interestingly if I open Media Center after the scheduling start time, the recording will start immediately once Media Center is running.

Tuner appears to be working fine and watching all channels has no issues, and definitely not recording conflicts or disk space issues.
Also restarted the WMC Scheduler Service and ensured it is running, so don't think that is the cause.

Problem is only intermittent however and I'm struggling to reproduce while monitoring it, but annoying as hell as I can never tell what will record successfully!
Anything else I should be checking?
Seems like something must be throwing an error, but odd that it doesn't leave anything in the logs...

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:26 pm

We need more information. What tuner are you using? What firmware/driver version are you using? What is the source (antenna/cablecard)?
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

Soundwave

Post by Soundwave » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:54 pm

Sorry, was working on the assumption that it was Media Center / OS related rather than tuner related, as I can't see any issues in tuner quality or picture.
But could be wrong I'm sure!

The tuner is a DNTV Dual Hybrid (7164) PCIe (http://digitalnow.com.au/product_pages/Dual7164.html), and the drivers with it are labelled 'NXP SAA7162, Hybrid Capture Device 1.0.4.2' (haven't had to mess with drivers since I bought a few years back).

As the tuner card isn't new, maybe it is deteriorating towards end of life and only dropping out on rare occasions?
Would still have hoped that Media Center would log the issue somewhere though.

'

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:07 am

I would try installing the latest drivers from the website. You can always rollback if additional issues appear.

http://digitalnow.com.au/downloads.html
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct