Netflix stopped working when profiles rolled out

jnorkus1

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by jnorkus1 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:22 pm

I received a reply form the Microsoft community:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... 557c3dd533

Netflix has pushed out a fix to bypass the issue. Profiles will NOT work inside WMC, but you should no longer receive an error and the original profile should work as before

Please confirm

Quatrix

Post by Quatrix » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:08 pm

barnabas1969 wrote: Finally, I deleted all profiles except mine (I even deleted the "none" profile).

Now, the netflix add-in in Media Center works just like it did before.
Are you sure it's working like it did before? Many people, including myself, have been reporting that the on-screen controls (stop/play/etc. buttons, progress bar, time) have been missing for the last several weeks.

skunks

Post by skunks » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:09 pm

Mine are missing too, but it doesn't bother me too much because I use a remote.

Deleting the profiles fixed any issues with movies playing in the WMC Netflix for me.

LuckyDay

Post by LuckyDay » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:41 pm

Quatrix wrote:
barnabas1969 wrote: Finally, I deleted all profiles except mine (I even deleted the "none" profile).

Now, the netflix add-in in Media Center works just like it did before.
Are you sure it's working like it did before? Many people, including myself, have been reporting that the on-screen controls (stop/play/etc. buttons, progress bar, time) have been missing for the last several weeks.
I believe it's a separate issue. The on screen controls disappeared a while before they introduced the profiles.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:47 pm

No, the on-screen controls didn't come back. But I don't miss them. I don't use a mouse/keyboard to control it. I use an IR remote control. When I press FFWD/RWD or skip/replay (on the remote), I see the timeline and frames from the video just like always.

LuckyDay

Post by LuckyDay » Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:56 am

On screen controls are back on my system as of today.

makryger

Post by makryger » Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:00 pm

Same for me... the world is in order once again.
My Channel Logos XL: Get your Guide looking good! ~~~~ TunerSalad: Increase the 4-tuner limit in 7MC

Es0terin

Post by Es0terin » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:42 pm

No one will update this unfortunately, with microsoft pushing Win 8, and the Xbox One (Xboner) they will no longer support this plugin. As a matter of fact remember that Win 8 does not even have a standard version including Media Center, I hope Microsoft wakes from this delusional state that they are in and pulls thing together before they lose it all. OS sales are almost gone, PC sales are pretty much gone, Xbox has never turned profit and they are thinking of selling it or spinning it off into its own company. ugh so much to say....... so betrayed. :(

makryger

Post by makryger » Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:18 am

Well netflix is back to working now, so someone out there is still tasked with fixing these things.

In other news, I just read that IE11 in windows 8.1 actually uses HTML5 to stream netflix. I'd fully expect this function to come to other browsers and windows versions soon. Which means we could just create our own tile that leads to the netflix website. I'm sure netflix is getting sick of making a different app for every single platform out there-- they just need one html5 app, like pandora.
My Channel Logos XL: Get your Guide looking good! ~~~~ TunerSalad: Increase the 4-tuner limit in 7MC

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:32 am

makryger wrote:Well netflix is back to working now, so someone out there is still tasked with fixing these things.

In other news, I just read that IE11 in windows 8.1 actually uses HTML5 to stream netflix. I'd fully expect this function to come to other browsers and windows versions soon. Which means we could just create our own tile that leads to the netflix website. I'm sure netflix is getting sick of making a different app for every single platform out there-- they just need one html5 app, like pandora.
That won't do anything for people who only use a remote. You would only be able to use that if you use a mouse and keyboard. I've used Netflix on 8.1/IE 11 - the site and navigation and all that are exactly the same as the Netflix homepage you can go to now.

makryger

Post by makryger » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:10 pm

staknhalo wrote:
makryger wrote:Well netflix is back to working now, so someone out there is still tasked with fixing these things.

That won't do anything for people who only use a remote. You would only be able to use that if you use a mouse and keyboard. I've used Netflix on 8.1/IE 11 - the site and navigation and all that are exactly the same as the Netflix homepage you can go to now.
I would hope/assume that they would create one unifying 10ft interface remote friendly interface for all of the set top box interfaces out there, like what Pandora is trying to do. Html5 allows them to accomplish that.

Dudeus

Post by Dudeus » Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:42 pm

Not sure if this applies to any of you since I do not use Profiles under NetFlix, but I found out that my NetFlix gave me errors under MCE until I installed the NetFlixInWindowsMediaCenter.exe and then applied the SilveLight updates. I did this for both my Vista SP2 with newly installed TV Pack 2008 and also my W7 MCE.

If anyone tries it, it may work, but like I said, it may be something that does not apply to using Profiles.

Wicked Intents

Post by Wicked Intents » Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:28 pm

I actually work directly with companies such as Netflix to resolve such issues discussed in this topic. After working through possible causes, the newest MS Silverlight update has come into focus as the cause. The working solution thus far is as follows. (Remember to perform these steps as Administrator, this can be easily done by right clicking and select "Run As Administrator)

First rollback Silverlight:

To perform a rollback to a previous version generally you can simply uninstall Silverlight from the "Add/Remove" programs in the control panel.

Second Download Silverlight 4:

(whatever version of Silverlight 4, generally the newest version of 4 works)

Third Perform a clean up:

Using your choice of utility software such as Ccleaner or Glary, perform a complete clean up including the reg, and all temps (prefetch as well)

Fourth Restart your machine.

Fifth Update:

To update Silverlight to the new version 5, simply go to Microsoft for version 5, and download to install it.

Sixth:

Afterwards, you can either test WMC to see if Netflix connects and if it doesn't connect then restart a second time to refresh the settings.

The apparent cause:

What seems to be occurring when the initial update is applied to machines, it tends to corrupt Silverlight completely. These steps provided basically gives your machine a fresh clean platform to install the update of Silverlight.

P.S.

On some machines, as odd as it may seem after performing the steps and if a second reboot is required, reinstalling the network adapter as well is sometimes required.

And yes lol it's a Microsoft issue AGAIN! That's why the lack of support from Netflix, and redirected to Microsoft instead.