Channel moves to 1008.*

rdy2go

HTPC Specs: Show details

Channel moves to 1008.*

Post by rdy2go » Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:15 am

I used Guide Tool (awesome tool) to get my channels just right (lineup, rename, and renumber). A few months later, channel 36 stopped working. I found a new channel created, 1008.36. This new channel works for 36s content. Any idea why this was created? I think I remember a reg hack which prevents 7mc from doing scans but couldn't find it.

Guide Tool
http://1geek1tool.com/guidetool/download

Thanks.

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:52 am

There is a reg hack to turn off the background scanner, set the following reg key to 0

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center\Service\BackgroundScanner\PeriodicScanEnabled

hth
Rob.

TGB.tv - the one stop shop for the more discerning Media Center user.

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:55 pm

Maybe I'm wrong, but if you turn the background scanner off, wouldn't that stop WMC from identifying the replacement channel? For example, if the background scanner had been turned off to begin with, wouldn't channel 36 stop working and then 1008.36 would not have been identified?

I guess I just don't understand why you would want to disable the background scanner.

rdy2go

Post by rdy2go » Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:30 pm

richard1980 wrote:Maybe I'm wrong, but if you turn the background scanner off, wouldn't that stop WMC from identifying the replacement channel? For example, if the background scanner had been turned off to begin with, wouldn't channel 36 stop working and then 1008.36 would not have been identified?

I guess I just don't understand why you would want to disable the background scanner.

Hmm good point, any idea if providers setting up replacement channels is a common thing? If so, that throws a wrench in me renumbering QAM channels for WAF.

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:43 pm

It depends on where you live and what your source is. For example, I live in Oklahoma City (United States), and if I was just receiving over-the-air channels, they would stay the same nearly all the time. But I'm receiving a cable broadcast, and the cable company seems to change things around all the time...granted, most of their changes are just adding more channels, but I have seen them move channels around as well.

rdy2go

Post by rdy2go » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:05 pm

I'm using WOW (ClearQAM) in Metro-Detroit. The channel showed as 1008.36 (AMC) before I renumbered it to 36, so I'm curious as to why it is showing up in the same location again. Is there additional channel ID information that would change and I'm not privy to see?

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:29 pm

I think I found your answer from the WOW website:

Code: Select all

Starting May 19, 2011 the WOW! Cable lineup will begin transitioning to an all-digital format.  For uninterrupted service, you will need to connect a Digital Adapter to any TV that does not already have WOW! digital equipment.  If you have a TV that has a built-in tuner, you do not need to connect a Digital Adapter.  Please click here  to check if your TV has a built-in digital tuner.  TVs with digital tuners will need to be rescanned each time WOW! cable channels are changed including after each digital channel conversion.
This explains why channel 36 stopped working. As far as 1008.36, that could either be a real channel number or a virtual channel number. If it's a virtual channel number, perhaps they changed the real channel number (and thus the tuning frequency changed). I would think that would cause WMC to pick up a "new" channel on the new tuning frequency, but since the broadcaster is using virtual channel numbering, you didn't see anything change with the numbering.