Media Center 7/8 DRM Reset Success

nikleb

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by nikleb » Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:26 pm

Crash2009 wrote:DCA will fix everything.
But DCA is already there. Should I still over install? Will it break anything like the current TV setup?

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:54 pm

nikleb wrote:But DCA is already there. Should I still over install? Will it break anything like the current TV setup?
When you open WMC and go up into the Extra's you will need to click on it and run it. CableCard tuners won't work correctly without it. You will need to run Tuner Setup also.

Isn't there some Ceton instructions in the Tuner Section of TheGreenButton?

nikleb

Post by nikleb » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:27 am

Crash2009 wrote:
nikleb wrote:But DCA is already there. Should I still over install? Will it break anything like the current TV setup?
When you open WMC and go up into the Extra's you will need to click on it and run it. CableCard tuners won't work correctly without it. You will need to run Tuner Setup also.

Isn't there some Ceton instructions in the Tuner Section of TheGreenButton?
Did run it. After a couple of steps it tells me that that I am already configured for CableCard content.

waylo

Post by waylo » Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:45 am

I came across this thread and so far this seems to be the best hope for my particular issue.

I run WMC on Win7 x 64, connected to a Silicon Dust HDHR Prime and HDHR Dual.

I upgraded my GPU from an Nvidia 6600 to a 1070 several months ago. I *thought* that WMC worked fine after that upgrade, but I'm finding now that isn't the case.

Channels tuned with the HDHR Dual (OTA HD) work fine. That's probably why I initially thought WMC had no issues. (I don't use it that often actually, but I do want it to work!)

But I'm finding that channels tuned with the HDHR Prime give the "Display driver error. The video playback device does not support playback of protected content." A simple maximize/resize works fine to restore video here.

BUT, DRM protected channels like HBO, etc, do not get any video. I can get a few seconds of audio when I maximize/resize, but that's it.

I followed the directions in post #1, but like many others, I do not have an "Update PlayReady" prompt. I do have Playready installed as seen in the Programs control panel though.

Has someone been able to get that prompt to show up when it initially wasn't there?

cwinfield

Post by cwinfield » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:16 am

It actually sounds like your usng display port. If that's the case WMC does not support display port for DRM. From the behavior your describing that is typically the case and not a play ready issue. Could also be he Comcast MP4 issue if that's your provider and your area switched over thier channels recently. If not that then it could be an audio settings problem.

waylo

Post by waylo » Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:25 pm

Ahh, the HDMI issue may indeed be it. I did some major video upgrading with the addition of 2 27" G-sync monitors and the 1070 GTX over the past months. Since G-sync requires DP connections, that is indeed how they are connected. (Most posts I've read re: the need to reset PlayReady involve motherboard or CPU upgrades, rarely GPU upgrades).

Since I rarely use WMC on this system (not my main HTPC), I'm not routinely checking its function.

Both new monitors do still support HDMI, so I could swap one to HDMI if it's important (clearly not).

Thanks for that clarity.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:35 am

Search wmc and display port It has been broken for a long time.

viewtopic.php?p=31412#p31412

The Maximise/Restore trick reminds me of Actual Multiple Monitors. or Maxifer (try it, you might get lucky)

Very Perceptive CW!

sarnold51

Post by sarnold51 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:54 am

Step by step this works in 2019 too! I just took a Win 7 disk and cloned it, then put it in a much newer computer to up date my aging and loud WMC PC. I got everything to work but the DRM and I followed each step and now have a new lease on WMC Life. Thanks for keeping it going for me. Now as long as I can keep Win 7 alive I'm good!

dazz553

Post by dazz553 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:10 pm

Wow this really screwed me up. In Win7, I kept getting the error about protected content on recorded HBO, but I could watch HBO live. I followed the instructions. Now I can't watch HBO live or watch recorded shows. Also I am pretty sure I'll never be able to recover the ability to watch the recorded HBO. :problem:

Space

Post by Space » Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:30 pm

You should always make an image backup of the system partition before doing any major change such as this so that you can recover back to where you were.

But I agree with you that following this procedure will reset DRM and not allow you to watch any previously recorded copy protected recordings.

beynery

Post by beynery » Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:33 am

Does anyone know where I can download ResetDRM.exe? I've tried the link below but it appears to be dead now. Thanks for any help.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/ ... setDRM.exe

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:23 am

- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

beynery

Post by beynery » Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:22 am

garyan2, thanks for your response. I failed to mention I'm running Windows 7. I tried the ResetDRM.exe from your link but it said the "This tool can only be installed on Windows Vista and Windows XP". I'm having "PlayReady update was incomplete" issues and I've tried all the ideas I could find online except the ResetDRM option. If anyone has a link to a Windows 7 version, I would very much appreciate it.

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Fri Nov 13, 2020 4:51 am

I've never actually had to deal with DRM, but it appears the ResetDRM.exe file is limited to not only Win XP/Vista, it is also limited to WMP 11. Luckily, it is just an installation package and the files you need can still be extracted. Detailed method is in the link below. When I have time, I'll make a zip file to place on the website with instructions. Hopefully following the below will work for you.

viewtopic.php?t=3760#p36116
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. https://garyan2.github.io

beynery

Post by beynery » Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:47 am

that worked!!! thank you Gary so much. keep up the great work!

bozog

Post by bozog » Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:04 am

Just wanted to post a quick thank you! Working great 👍