PlayReady Update failure

Ecurb

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by Ecurb » Sun May 19, 2013 3:06 am

I replaced my CPU and started seeing this issue as well as not being able to download a current schedule (which may be unrelated). I followed rasheedb #17 with MattM1121 #20 note that media receiver service needed to be off and that it would restart itself if one were not fast enough. At the Update PlayReady screen I turned off media receiver service and finally updated Playready and then media center died. However, when I restarted media center, everything seemed to work just fine.

shortcut3d

Post by shortcut3d » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:38 am

I just built a new system and I can't get the Playready Update to stop showing up. It continually shows ups after tuning to HBO/Showtime/Cinemax. Starz is fine though.

I've reinstalled the OS 3 times now.

Since I've had to put the original HTPC back into service. Now it too is getting Playready Update required message on HBO. This HTPC has been rock solid since 2011.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:10 pm

Solution 2 HERE worked for me when I had a similar issue. A newer, streamlined, procedure recently posted HERE may also work.

WScottCross

Post by WScottCross » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:44 pm

I just ran into this on my main MCE box after trying to resolve the 29/59 refresh bug by changing the video card. I could NOT resolve the issue and even had the issue come back after at least 6 clean installs. I was finally able to track down the issue to my network drivers. When I did the clean installs, i used the network driver from the DVD that came with the motherboard. I finally tried turning off IPV6 on the NIC and I was finally able to get Playready to update. I think the outdated drivers were causing some interference for Playready.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:57 pm

MattM1121 wrote:I joined just to share about this topic.

I upgraded my computer with a new CPU, MB and RAM. After which the PlayReady problem started.

Man I tried everything. What fixed it was the "Windows Media Receiver Service". Stopping that resulted in fixing my issue. There was one problem people should be aware of. Even though you stop the service - and it's set to manual - it can start before you run the PlayReady in WMC again. Once I figured that out it worked out just fine.

Just another PlayReady FYI.

Thanks,

-Matt

Edit: Well, this didn't actually work. It let the PlayReady finish, but it didn't make the necessary changes. I ended up having to reinstall Windows. Meh...
So, you signed up just to tell us that your "solution" didn't work? Really? And... let me tell you... if you replace the CPU in your system (even if you replace it with an identical model)... it will make your previously-recorded copy-protected shows unable to be played.

Some people have reported that they replaced their motherboard with an identical model, and they could still watch their copy-protected recordings. Many have reported replacing hard drives and memory. But... if you replace the CPU... that's a new "computer" and you're SOL.

STC

Post by STC » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:38 pm

MattM1121, take no notice of barnabas' theatrical demeanor :crazy:
Tomorrow he will talk to you like he's your best mate.

Thanks for joining and taking to time to document your PlayReady experiences.

erkotz from Ceton listed figures some time ago of what happens to PlayReady when you replace each component.
As you've found, a CPU replacement forces a new set of decryption keys to be written.

I can't find it right now, I'll ask him for an assist.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:09 pm

STC

Post by STC » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:44 pm

Ahh thanks Richard, although the doc refers to Windows licensing as opposed to PlayReady itself?
The info I saw before was similar but not the same and specific to PlayReady (I think....it was a while back....).
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:16 pm

I haven't seen a document specific to PlayReady...all I've seen is the one for Windows activation. However, the same core concept is used in both scenarios.

HTPCGuy1

Post by HTPCGuy1 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:49 pm

I followed the instructions. Now, PlayReady is gone from settings. Any suggestions?

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:06 am

If it updated successfully, you don't need it anymore.

EZEd

Post by EZEd » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:22 pm

Is there maybe some MS KB update that is causing this? I've been rolling along just fine with both an InfiniTV 4 PCIe and now a 6ETH then suddenly on Weds 16 Oct I get a MS Update. After the update it trashes Playready and won't update. I tried all of the published fixes with removing WMC7 from the machine, removing hds files from ehome and playready folders, removing DRM key from registry, stopping ehrecvr service. None worked. I clean installed win7 3 times now on the same machine since with no hardware changes and Playready will not update. As others have mentioned, it for sure is ehrecvr service that is blocking the load because when you stop the service it appears to let playready finish the update. Goes all the way to finish. But when you re-enter WMC7, there still are no protected channels allowed to tune and the update playready banner still remains in TV Setup menu. This is some serious M$ bull. No hardware changes and the behavior only spontaneously begins after a MS update.

EZEd

Post by EZEd » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:06 pm

Fifth reinstall of Windows 7 x64 on the same machine in 4 days. I still can not pass playready and get cablecard working. This machine has been working just fine for 3 years with this setup. Why would it all of a sudden just now start failing playready? I could understand if I was trying to get playready to update over an existing install but these are all completely new installs with HDD reformats in between. What has Microsoft done? License key is good (OEM and passes activation every time). DCA is good, passes test everytime. I have used both ATI video drivers and the stock drivers that Microsoft loads, neither will let playready update. Playready installs just fine during setup but once it gets to the part where the update must take place to allow tuning cable card channels it says did not complete. I've tried all of the published fixes multiple times on each reinstall and still playready does not update. Again, I can net stop ehrecvr during the set up and it appears to finish the playready update. even says that it is finished and has been updated but when I go to either play live TV or just exit out of Media Center and re-enter it still says I need to update playready and no channels will show. WTF is going on?

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:12 pm

This worked for me when all else failed:
http://drmlicense.one.microsoft.com/Ind ... ndivit.asp (must run in IE)

EZEd

Post by EZEd » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:58 pm

mdavej wrote:This worked for me when all else failed:
http://drmlicense.one.microsoft.com/Ind ... ndivit.asp (must run in IE)
Okay I'll give that a try when I get home Dave...does this do anything different from ResetDRM.exe?

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:07 pm

I don't know exactly what it does, but it is not the same thing as ResetDRM. It's essentially UpdateDRM.

Also remember, you need to uninstall ResetDRM after you run it once, or it will constantly reset. So remove ResetDRM, then run the above, then try the PlayReady update again.

No guarantees, but I also tried every posted PlayReady fix, and this is the only thing that worked for me.

aseries

Post by aseries » Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:15 pm

I have been through the mill on this one. I have been using Windows Media Center with one TV tuner or another since shortly after Windows 7 was released. The clue to the problem has to do with the way most new PCs are sold and shipped with an OS IMAGE developed by factory engineers and baked into every machine as a part of efficient production. This process causes corruption of the encryption files for PLAY READY when the PC is configured and activated by the end user. I bought 2 new HP laptops within a year, A DV7-7000 and a DV6-8014. Both exhibited the problem when I installed a TV tuner and attempted to setup for Comcast cable. I was finally able to get the DV7 working with about 6 tries with the array of ginky workarounds floating around the Internet. I was never able to make the DV6 work. Both machines have nearly identical hardware. As far as I can tell the only reliable method is a complete OS re-install from media. Counting the installs I did before I ditched my self-built desktops and went with the 2 laptops I have installed W7 from media many times and never had any problems with Windows Media Center using several different PCI or USB TV tuners. One upside of installation from media is the ability to make it the way YOU want it.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:22 pm

Regarding post #37 above, the following Microsoft KB article addresses that problem:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976590

echo14612

Post by echo14612 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:43 pm

I've tried every fix listed in this thread short of reinstalling Windows 7. DRM Fix doesn't because it claims I must have Windows Media Player 11 installed. I have v12 installed. The Security Component Upgrade mentioned in post #34 won't run. The "Upgrade" button is grayed out. (Yes, I tried it in Internet Explorer.)

I've never recorded or played protected media on this machine and don't even have the DRM entry in the registry I'm supposed to delete. I tried to install a cable card and PlayReady hell broke loose.

woodchuck

Post by woodchuck » Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:14 am

FWIW, I was able to delete the DRM key in the registry by right clicking it and setting permissions so everybody had full permission. Before that, I could not delete it.