Can't Delete? - You require permission from NETWORK SERVICE

JazJon

HTPC Specs: Show details

Can't Delete? - You require permission from NETWORK SERVICE

Post by JazJon » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:56 pm

For some reason I can't delete a some of my XXX Summer Olympics recordings. (some delete just fine)

If I try to delete in Media Center I get:
This recording has been moved or deleted by another application, or is marked read-only and cannot be deleted

(and yet they PLAY just fine)

If I manually try to delete it in explore, I get the following error.

You need permission to perform this action
You require permission from NETWORK SERVICE to make changes to this file

XXX Summer Olympics_BRAVOHP_2012_07_31_03_58_00
Type: Windows Recorded TV Show
Size 47.5 GB
Date modified: 7/31/2012 3:11 PM

I rebooted, verified nothing is recording, and yet I can't delete this? Why??? :-(
strange.

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Sat Aug 04, 2012 2:52 am

Do use commercial skipping software? If so, it's most likely still being scanned.

JazJon

Post by JazJon » Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:16 am

mcewinter wrote:Do use commercial skipping software? If so, it's most likely still being scanned.
Nope

I'm able to delete them now though, I wonder what the hold was. Maybe it's because they are so huge.

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:57 pm

I recommend using LockHunter to determine which process is locking a file.

http://lockhunter.com/
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:05 pm

My guess MC might have just been scanning the huge file for thumbs or something of the like. I doubt he has an issue on his hands.

JazJon

Post by JazJon » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:04 am

Scallica wrote:I recommend using LockHunter to determine which process is locking a file.

http://lockhunter.com/
That's a cool app to have on hand. I didn't know about it thanks for the tip. I don't currently have any locked files but when I do I'll try lock hunter
mcewinter wrote:My guess MC might have just been scanning the huge file for thumbs or something of the like. I doubt he has an issue on his hands.
That sounds like a very logical explanation!

realpommy@gmail.com

Post by realpommy@gmail.com » Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:51 am

I tried the recommende software, LockHunter, but it didn't work.
Any other suggestions?

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:56 am

realpommy@gmail.com wrote:I tried the recommende software, LockHunter, but it didn't work.
Any other suggestions?
Try stopping the Windows Media Center Receiver Service.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

signcarver

Post by signcarver » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:40 am

Are these files being listed in the library or on the drive/folder itself? I once had a few files still listed in the library that were already deleted off the drive... for me the easiest way to remove the offending folder from the library and re-add it (sometimes refresh/rebuild wasn't enough)

donpaul

Post by donpaul » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:47 am

Hi,

I know I'm too late for this reply but this method worked for me. So, I'm just putting it out there so that other people too can refer to it. :)

Change Permissions

Normally this error will be related to an actual permissions problem, so let’s at least get that out of the way before trying other options.

Go ahead and right-click on the folder and choose Properties.

Next you want to click on the Security tab and then click on the Advanced button.

Now you want to click on the Change Permissions button at the bottom left.

Now is the fun part. It definitely looks complicated and that’s why you have to do this section right, otherwise you’ll think you set the permissions right when, in fact, they are wrong.

First of all, go ahead and check the Replace all child object permissions with inheritable permissions from this object box. Then go ahead and uncheck the Include inheritable permissions from this object’s parent box. When you uncheck the box, you’ll get a warning box where you’ll have to choose from Add or Remove. Go ahead and click on Add.

Now a normal folder that is deletable should look something like above with SYSTEM, Administrators and the user (Aseem) having Full Control with the Type set to Allow. At this point, you need to see what’s different and get your permissions to look like this using the Add, Edit and Remove buttons.

If you see any permissions with Deny in the Type, go ahead and remove them. Next make sure to add your username and the Administrators group and give them Full Control. Just click Add and type in the user name for your Windows account and then click Check Names. My Windows user name was Aseem, so I typed that in and clicked the button and it automatically changed it to WINDOWSMAC\Aseem.

Do the same thing for administrators, just type the word and click Check Names. If SYSTEM is not present, go ahead and add that also just to be on the safe side. When you are done and the permissions look correct, go ahead and click OK. It might take some time if the folder is large and has a lot of subfolders. Once it’s complete, go ahead and try to delete the folder!

This answer from Microsoft might be helpful too. You can always look at alternative ways to fix it if this one doesn't work for you.