Stuttering during Live TV and Recorded TV

phimoore

HTPC Specs: Show details

Stuttering during Live TV and Recorded TV

Post by phimoore » Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:23 pm

I posted this on the other green button which is really just a shell of what the old green button use to be.

I have a random stuttering problem when watching live tv and recorded tv. Here is my setup...

Motherboard - Asus M3A76-CM

CPU - AMD Athlon II X4

RAM - Patriot Extreme Performance Gaming Series 4GB (2 x 2GB)

Hard Drives - Western Digital 750 GB drive (OS) and Western Digital 1 TB Model WD10EVVS (TV)

Case - Silverstone GD05B

Power Supply - Corsair 400 watt

Bluray Drive - Blurays play smoothly

Nvidia GT220 - Latest drivers and have tried about 5 different drivers. HDMI out to an AV receiver including the audio.

Ceton Infinitv 4

DMA2100 in the bedroom which works perfectly, no stuttering.

So here is what I have tried to fix the random stuttering issue:
1. Checked for the 29/59 bug, I don't have this issue.
2. Got rid of HomeGroup and disabled IPv6
3. Disabled Windows Search service
4. Disabled Aero
5. In Windows Media Player, I selected "Drop frames to maintain sync"
6. AHCI enabled in BIOS. Also using the latest chipset drivers from AMD. support.amd.com/.../raid_windows.aspx
7. Enable Advanced Disc Caching for Sata drives and disabled "Turn off windows write-cache buffer flushing..."
8. Disable Cool N Quiet in BIOS
9. Set the GT 220 to set the video type to full screen
10. Disabled Inverse Telecine
11. No codec packs are installed
12. Reinstalled Win 7 x64 many times
13. Set media center to use the TV option so it won't use overscan
14. Use an extra fan to keep the GT 220 temps around 50 C.
15. Ran Memtest86 and it passed
16. Disabled IntelliPark on the hard drives by running wdidle3 /d
17. Updated BIOS to the latest

This stuttering seems to happen more when watching channels that are broadcasting in 1080i. I have used a Hauppauge HVR-1600 for clear qam in the past on this machine before the Ceton card and still had the same random stuttering. Every other video I play works fine, including blu-ray.

Any other suggestions?

staknhalo

Post by staknhalo » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:40 pm

I had this same issue (live TV, recorded TV and mkv videos would all stutter or look like they were dropping frames), and for me, it was heat. Now you might say your temps are fine that isn't the problem. I said the same thing. I had taken the video card out of my machine and tested it with the weaker, yet still capable onboard GPU and I haven't had the stuttering in months. And it wasn't the GPU, because it replaced one that died in my gaming/work rig and has been working like a champ since I took it out of the HTPC (no artifacts, good temps ect). I see you put an extra fan in for the GPU, does your MoBo have onboard just to give it a shot?
Last edited by staknhalo on Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

phimoore

Post by phimoore » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:44 pm

I was hoping that wasn't the issue considering the temps look fine. I will try to use the onboard video this weekend after I dig out my DVI to HDMI cable. Thanks for the response.

Venom51

Post by Venom51 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:21 pm

Occasionally when updating Nvidia drivers I see this appear. I usually strip them out and make sure to click the clean install button upon reinstallation. Always clears the issue for me.