Guide Updates - Download Issues

Global guide related discussion. All Windows versions.
alanroy

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by alanroy » Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:50 pm

With the Irish guide being off since 6th December, it could be possible that the internet guide is not returning

CyberSimian

Post by CyberSimian » Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:05 pm

Pixelz wrote:Yes, the in-band data is good for a week ahead, but only on SD channels.
For HD channels the in-band data is compressed in a format that media centre does not support, so unless BDS provide the downloadable EPG within the next 3 days, it will not be possible to use media centre as an HD PVR.
I am currently still using Vista, but the Vista downloaded EPG has the same problem as Windows 7 (empty for 2013). This situation may in fact provide the final impetus that causes me to migrate to Win7, since Win7 supports the 7-day broadcast EPG, whereas Vista does not.

For the HD channels, would it not be possible to add the listings for the corresponding SD channels to the HD channels? I have not tried this, so perhaps it does not work. But if it does work, it would give you an EPG for the HD channels that was reasonably accurate (except for BBC HD, but that is due to become BBC2 HD in due course anyway).

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

Pixelz

Post by Pixelz » Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:54 am

CyberSimian wrote:For the HD channels, would it not be possible to add the listings for the corresponding SD channels to the HD channels? I have not tried this, so perhaps it does not work. But if it does work, it would give you an EPG for the HD channels that was reasonably accurate (except for BBC HD, but that is due to become BBC2 HD in due course anyway).
It is possible to point the HD channels at the SD channel listings (except for BBC-HD, as you say). At least it is for Freeview -- I don't know about Freesat (does this platform have HD-only channels?).

However, you only get 7 days rather than 14, and you no longer know which programs are actually being broadcast in HD as the HD flags will not be present, so I'm not sure the option to 'prefer HD recordings' would still work.

My real concern is the complete disregard for users shown by Microsoft support. If you're not going to continue with the EPG listings then an announcement would be appropriate. If you are continuing with them, then an apology for the loss of service is in order.

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:12 am

I feel for those who have just paid for an upgrade to Windows 8 and possibly extra for Media Center, only to receive this shocking service.

I have posted the above info as a workaround on the Microsoft Connect site. I also gave this site a plug as it is providing much better support than Microsoft.
Are you a Recorded TV HD user or want to give it a try? Check out the new community-made update; Recorded TV HD v2.1.1

mark1234

Post by mark1234 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:12 am

I've forced a guide download this morning and there is no new data. Given that we now have the weekend and Monday is a working day in theory only, I don't see this being rectified before the data actually runs out. Whatever slim belief that it is only a temporary problem is destroyed by the fact that the Irish data ran out three weeks ago. This is clearly the end of Microsoft's support for Media Centre on this side of the ocean.

It's been obvious for years that Media Centre has been considered legacy by Microsoft, and in that context deprecating the guide data is a logical step. As a business decision, whilst it's personally annoying, I don't have a problem with that.

What is absolutely dreadful though is that Microsoft haven't had the balls to say they are doing this. Sinofsky's posts over the last year have clearly shown that Media Centre will remain in Windows 8 virtually the same as in Windows 7. People will have bought copies of Windows 8 on this basis and they are now getting royally shafted.

I guess I've now got a job to price up Sky+ verses Virgin/Tivo. I'm going to end up paying more and getting a worse solution. Great.
Windows Media Centre - Abandoned by Microsoft

NWW

Post by NWW » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:37 am

Funny thing is that Belgian (both French and Dutch), and French guide listings still work (up to 12/01/2013)

So I guess we go back to EPGCollector then.

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:08 pm

mark1234 wrote:This is clearly the end of Microsoft's support for Media Centre on this side of the ocean.
Yes, clearly that must be the case. There's just no other explanation. :lol:

mark1234

Post by mark1234 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:27 pm

richard1980 wrote:
mark1234 wrote:This is clearly the end of Microsoft's support for Media Centre on this side of the ocean.
Yes, clearly that must be the case. There's just no other explanation. :lol:
OK, so I'm exaggerating, but not by much I think given the Irish experience.
Windows Media Centre - Abandoned by Microsoft

milli260876

Post by milli260876 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:00 pm

guide data in epg collector is better anyway... Series links etc are ridiculous in WMC....
Downside being just tried epg collector and it won't work... :'(
aaaaaargh
Lee

joecrow

Post by joecrow » Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:01 pm

NWW wrote:Funny thing is that Belgian (both French and Dutch), and French guide listings still work (up to 12/01/2013)

So I guess we go back to EPGCollector then.
EPG in Germany is also still good, as of today has data till 13-Jan-2013.

Are you sure this is not a local/British Isles problem what with eyeryone there taking 2 weeks off for Christmas and New Year :P

milli260876

Post by milli260876 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:36 pm

Posted here if anyone wants to add themselves
https://connect.microsoft.com/site1145/ ... -epg-error
Lee

joecrow

Post by joecrow » Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:49 pm

milli260876 wrote:Posted here if anyone wants to add themselves
I have a profile and can sign in to the above link but I am still not allowed to view the content without Registering and providing further personal details.Any chance you could you give me some idea of what is there to help me decide whether or not it is worth registering?

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:24 pm

milli260876 wrote:Posted here if anyone wants to add themselves
That seems to be an old report opened on 31/10/2012.

This one is more current and has more activity.
https://connect.microsoft.com/site1145/ ... 01-01-2013
Are you a Recorded TV HD user or want to give it a try? Check out the new community-made update; Recorded TV HD v2.1.1

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:28 pm

joecrow wrote:I have a profile and can sign in to the above link but I am still not allowed to view the content without Registering and providing further personal details.Any chance you could you give me some idea of what is there to help me decide whether or not it is worth registering?
There is nothing you haven't already seen here. However if you do register you can click the "me too" button which hopefully will draw attention to the issue.

jmbillings

Post by jmbillings » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:23 pm

I can't view these connect pages- just says page not found? I tried with an existing live ID and also set up a new one on an alternative email address.

I've only just spotted this problem; maybe it's time to switch back to Mediaportal. The wife won't like having no listings...

milli260876

Post by milli260876 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:55 pm

I think the connect pages are purposefully impossible to negotiate. I added myself to that ticket too for what its worth!
I do find it strange that epg collector is showing no data too??? Anyone else??
Lee

KungFuKid

Post by KungFuKid » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:29 pm

milli260876 wrote:I think the connect pages are purposefully impossible to negotiate. I added myself to that ticket too for what its worth!
I do find it strange that epg collector is showing no data too??? Anyone else??
I've just set up EPG Collector, the first run come back with no data. I changed the location settings (last tab) to just UK and it worked fine after, it didn't like me being too specific to where I live!
The only issue I have is the series links are still showing up only to the 31st December, I can't do a reboot as something is recording.

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:21 am

Does EPG Collector also use BDS data? If so it may have the same issue.

EDIT: Ignore that, just read that it harvests from the in-band transmission. So are there any other alternatives that offer a full 14-day download?

NWW

Post by NWW » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:12 am

IT Troll wrote:Does EPG Collector also use BDS data? If so it may have the same issue.

EDIT: Ignore that, just read that it harvests from the in-band transmission. So are there any other alternatives that offer a full 14-day download?
http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... =28&t=3042

jdtaylor

Post by jdtaylor » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:47 am

Hi,

If it helps, I'm running Windows Media Centre on Windows 7 and currently data is dropping out around midnight on the 5th of Jan. This is most unusual as using the media center internet epg streams if I change it cut off on Tuesday or so, and for this reason I wonder if I'm getting most of my data through the in band guide download. If it helps, I'm in the UK on the Sandy Heath transmitter.