Guide Updates - Download Issues

Global guide related discussion. All Windows versions.
Oldmajor

HTPC Specs: Show details

Guide Updates - Download Issues

Post by Oldmajor » Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:39 pm

I just noticed that I do not have guide data from any show thats on cable. The shows that would come through on just an analog tuner (non cable channels) do show guide data. This just happened on Friday 3/16, and when I manually try to install the guide, it goes through the download proces and then i receive a message saying that an error occured and it was not able to download the guide.

Im running Windows 7 32 bit, with a Ceton InfiniTV internal CCard tuner. Nothing has been changed on the system.

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:36 pm

Try uninstalling your firewall software
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation

K1196A

Post by K1196A » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:31 pm

SAME PROBLEM and I only run MS Essentials (which hasn't been altered).

IT Troll

Post by IT Troll » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:43 am

Looks like the monkey who (mis)types them in is on holiday again. Last time this happend was October. Eventually it started working again with no explanation given.
Are you a Recorded TV HD user or want to give it a try? Check out the new community-made update; Recorded TV HD v2.1.1

Ack

Post by Ack » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:08 am

I just have OTA and am down to 8 days of guide data.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:34 pm

My guide ends on April 18th at 7:30pm. There's a bug report for this on Microsoft Connect. I encourage you to register on MS Connect, and vote up this issue. Here's the link to the bug report (you will not be able to see it until you register and login first):
https://connect.microsoft.com/site1145/ ... ck-on-4-19

I had to register for Microsoft Connect by logging in with my Windows Live ID and then providing them additional information (Name & contact info). I encourage others to do the same. The more the merrier.

Note that there are two links you can click on that page. One is a big green arrow on the left site to "vote" for the issue's importance. The other is a link on the right that says "I can too", which indicates that you can reproduce the problem also.

Quatrix

Post by Quatrix » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:04 pm

It's ridiculous that this still happens about once a month and takes so long to resolve. It should take less than 24 hours after the updates stop to detect the problem. And with the Media Center listings normally going only 11 or 12 days ahead (whereas TV listings everywhere else show at least 14 days), there's no time to waste.

Quatrix

Post by Quatrix » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:05 pm

IT Troll wrote:Looks like the monkey who (mis)types them in is on holiday again. Last time this happend was October.
No, it's happened a few times since then.

STC

Post by STC » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:13 pm

If there is indeed a 'transitional' migration occurring of a database or some such thing, then the theory is it may rectify itself at some point, maybe, ish.
Perhaps...hmm...

[gotta love 'to the point posts']
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:10 pm

I reached out to MS this morning. I just got word back they have identified a problem and are looking into it.
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation

Quatrix

Post by Quatrix » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:20 pm

Thanks once again, but my question is why Microsoft always has to be told. With some simple automated monitoring (that I could code myself in an hour or two), they should have detected the problem at least 3 days ago.

STC

Post by STC » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:38 pm

^Because they have little interest in the product!
Sorry to say...

[edit] We, the general public appear to be the early warning system.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:01 pm

Quatrix wrote:Thanks once again, but my question is why Microsoft always has to be told. With some simple automated monitoring (that I could code myself in an hour or two), they should have detected the problem at least 3 days ago.
I've got to agree with that. At my job, we know about problems like this within an hour or two... and we process millions of database transactions each day. If we can do it, they can do it.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:41 pm

stonethecrows wrote:^Because they have little interest in the product!
Sorry to say...

[edit] We, the general public appear to be the early warning system.
LOL.. sad..just sad ^^

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:51 pm

Monitoring it would be as simple and low-cost for them as setting up a Media Center PC (with a tuner) to receive guide updates, and then monitoring the EPG database on that machine to see that the guide goes out at lease X days into the future. This could be scripted pretty easily, and an e-mail could be sent to their helpdesk software to open a trouble ticket (I don't know which helpdesk software they use, but every one I've ever seen will accept e-mails that trigger a new ticket to be opened).

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:00 pm

Yep, Biggest Software Giant in the US can't keep on top of Missing Guide Data? But like STC said they don't care about WMC much anymore so we have to bitch and complain to get any love .. God it's like being married ... wait.. did I just say that? Hope the wife doesn't read that. LOL

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:01 pm

You would think somebody at MS actually uses MC, let alone having a test machine.

shadetree

Post by shadetree » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:03 pm

barnabas1969 wrote:My guide ends on April 18th at 7:30pm. There's a bug report for this on Microsoft Connect. I encourage you to register on MS Connect, and vote up this issue. Here's the link to the bug report (you will not be able to see it until you register and login first):
https://connect.microsoft.com/site1145/ ... ck-on-4-19

I had to register for Microsoft Connect by logging in with my Windows Live ID and then providing them additional information (Name & contact info). I encourage others to do the same. The more the merrier.

Note that there are two links you can click on that page. One is a big green arrow on the left site to "vote" for the issue's importance. The other is a link on the right that says "I can too", which indicates that you can reproduce the problem also.
Thanks for the link Mate.

There were already 11 users this morning with this same issue.

Hope I don't need to reup the tuners again...lol.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:06 pm

I'm waiting for someone to recode MC so that when you click on TV Guide in the WMC main Menu it just takes you to TVGuide.com This sounds like a new addition to MCL version 3.0? What do ya say Makryger? :lol:

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:13 pm

newfiend wrote:I'm waiting for someone to recode MC so that when you click on TV Guide in the WMC main Menu it just takes you to TVGuide.com This sounds like a new addition to MCL version 3.0? What do ya say Makryger? :lol:
Well, we all know that there are other ways to get EPG data into Media Center. Folks all over the UK and Australia do it every day, because they don't get guide data from M$ for their particular TV provider.

If M$ ever stops providing EPG data, we can always invent something or use some of the software that already exists for this purpose. I don't think it would be too terribly difficult to write a program that gathers data from Zap2It, creates an XML file, and then imports it into the EPG database.