Clock problem

blueiedgod

HTPC Specs: Show details

Clock problem

Post by blueiedgod » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:37 pm

So, I noticed at 6:30 am this morning that my TV in the kitchen said it was 11:45 pm. I checked the guide, and the listings were correct for 6 am, however, the small clock on the side was still showing 11:45 pm.

I closed WMC and restarted it, and it fixed the clock.

Another TV with an extender exhibited the same problem.

I checked the HTPC, and it had the same problem. System clock was correct.

I closed WMC and restarted it, and it fixed the problem.

The system has been on for at least a month without the restarts, and extenders have been on for probably 6 months without being turned off.

Has anyone encountered the same problem, and what was the solution?

I assume it was the HTPC's erroenous clock in WMC that was throwing the extenders off. All of the recordings were done on time, which is even more puzzling...

Ack

Post by Ack » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:54 pm

Had the same thing happen a week or so ago to one of two HTPC's. Closed and reopened Media Center to correct it. Computer time was correct; just something messed up the the time in WMC. I don't record on that PC so I can't verify if it would have thrown off recordings or not. I've been watching for it again but it hasn't happened.

I wondered if it could have been an MS update. I do all updates shortly after they're available (with an image backup before downloading and applying). This same PC did an Automatic update a month or so ago and I am suspect an MS update may have changed how updates are applied. No proof but I ALWAYS set ALL my computers to notify and let me choose to download and update. Been doing it that way since Windows 95. So something other than me changed it.

I relate that part because it's a 64-bit machine where the one that didn't have either of these two oddities occur is 32-bit. I have noticed there are sometimes updates for one but not the other so they are treated a little different by the updater.

blueiedgod

Post by blueiedgod » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:54 pm

I actually had to turn off the automatic updates. For some reason SP 1 makes the WMC come up with "Missing codecs, needs to restart" very often when watching recorded or live TV.

Uninstalling SP1 made it go away. I had to turn off the annoying "updates are ready for your computer"

Ack

Post by Ack » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:57 pm

blueiedgod wrote:I actually had to turn off the automatic updates. For some reason SP 1 makes the WMC come up with "Missing codecs, needs to restart" very often when watching recorded or live TV.

Uninstalling SP1 made it go away. I had to turn off the annoying "updates are ready for your computer"
I have SP1 (and all MS updates) on both the 32-bit and 64-bit HTPC's. I haven't had anything like that happen. I don't have any codecs installed but the stock Windows ones. I'm trying very hard to keep these as completely stock as I can. There are several plugins I'd like to use but my free time is limited so I'm trying to avoid always messing with the setup.

Do you have third-party codecs installed?