Recorded video menu skipping

newpctech

HTPC Specs: Show details

Recorded video menu skipping

Post by newpctech » Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:33 pm

This might have been posted and I missed it....

If I say record several shows, maybe a marathon, and I watch one, stop and delete and return to menu - I occasionally (actually alot) experience the menu shoot left to the most recent show I have recorded or some random recording non-associated.
Highly bothersome.

Second issue - the time, I have the WMC pc checking the time daily due to slippage and last night I again see the time is wrong interrupting my recordings...thoughts?

Third issue - WMC pc almost weekly will show "no signal for this channel" on the premium channels, HBO etc - I have a second WMC pc working and recording fine but this one has issues I guess. I would rebuild if it didnt have 500 hours of recordings on it.

Any thoughts? :oops:

Space

Post by Space » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:06 pm

1) I see this frequently as well. I never bothered to try to figure out under what conditions it happens.

2) I've never had a problem where the time is set wrong on my PC (I have it update the time via NTP every 12 hours using a special setup), but I did recently (for the first time after years of operation) notice that the time on the WMC GUI (upper right corner) was off by several hours even though the system time was correct and recordings were being done on time. Not sure why this happened and unrelated to your problem.

If you put your PC in standby for extended periods of time, the clock and CMOS is maintained by the standby current from the power supply. If the PC is not plugged in, it uses the current from a coin-cell battery on the motherboard (if it is not dead). Probably has nothing to do with your problem, but if you find the clock to be wrong after the PC comes out of standby, there may be an issue that a BIOS update may fix.

Another reason may be the NTP server you are using is flaky and gives the wrong time occasionally? I use pool.ntp.org.

3) Do you have too many splitters leading to this TV? Do you use a Tuning Adapter? If you have a TA, then it is best to not attach your tuner to the TA, use a 2-way splitter to attach the TA and your tuner separately.

newpctech

Post by newpctech » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:50 pm

I am going to keep looking into the skipping issue, when I run the unit I can deal with it....its an issue when someone isnt use to it happening.

The pc is on and off multiple times per day and is plugged in all day updating daily to Time server - I might try your suggestion and/or change to every several hour query. Interesting I have noticed the pc time and the WMC time (upper right corner) can vary drastically.

The tuner is plugged directly into the cable via 2 splitters and travels to both PC's by IP - one wireless the other hardwired.

mldenison

Post by mldenison » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:01 pm

Have a look at this: https://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptsync

I use it on all my PC's. All PC's have exactly the same time now.

Space

Post by Space » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:47 pm

The method I use to sync the time is in this post:

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 34#p102734

No need for a third party tool with this method.