Looking for cheap WMC Windows machine?

frostillicus

HTPC Specs: Show details

Looking for cheap WMC Windows machine?

Post by frostillicus » Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:52 am

I am not in need of one, but there may be some people here that could use a PC to run Windows 7 media center.

I saw this on a slickdeals thread today: https://slickdeals.net/f/11533143-hp-co ... e-shipping

HP desktop dual core pc running win7 pro for $50.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:53 pm

WOW, old machines. You'd be better off searching on ebay for like i3 or i5 models and you could get them sub $150 with some hunting. As with these machines, you will get NO HDMI out, needing a 1/2 hight video card (cant put a full size PCI card in it). A little more modern machine odds are will have HDMI on board.

Still for $50, not bad for a entry machine. Perfect for the new person trying to get into the HTPC thing.
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

StinkyImp

Post by StinkyImp » Tue May 01, 2018 1:20 am

Check out this post. I've been using one of these for about 6 months and the only thing I added was a SoundBlaster card so I could have surround and an external hard drive for storage. It's a great all around entry machine.

frostillicus

Post by frostillicus » Tue May 01, 2018 1:24 pm

StinkyImp wrote:Check out this post. I've been using one of these for about 6 months and the only thing I added was a SoundBlaster card so I could have surround and an external hard drive for storage. It's a great all around entry machine.
That may be a good option as well. I'm just a little afraid of the Dell small form factor design. I got one of those (very similar model) for my inlaws brand new and have already had to replace the power supply on it twice.