PLAYREADY will not update

bassen

HTPC Specs: Show details

PLAYREADY will not update

Post by bassen » Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:56 pm

This is coming from "Flashes on live TV playback "
thought I would make new thread for what i believe is problem.
After trying many things with no luck, I took another PC that I have took a drive and did a fresh load on it.
OS loaded good (no updates yet) load drivesfor everything and for video tuner (Ceton InfiniTV 6 ETHt) etc.. all loaded fine.
started WMC and it went through everything fine. tune into one channel standard broadcast station but on cable played short time then said need update playready.
Here is the PROBLEM is it will not Update PLAYREADY
I have tried uninstalling it through control panel etc.. and tried different means that I found on different threads.
I now have two different systems having same problem, "will not update READYPLAY"
I hope I can find an answer for this from here.
Thanks for any input to problem

bassen

Post by bassen » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:58 pm

Here are the screen shots of what is happening
screen1.jpg
first screen
screen2.jpg
second screen, keeps repeating
I can not get it to pass or update

cwinfield

Post by cwinfield » Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:17 pm

Try and copy then rename mspr.hds as a backup then delete mspr.hds in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\PlayReady\

mldenison

Post by mldenison » Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:42 pm

This always works for me:

Code: Select all

1) Get to the point in media center that it says Playready failed to update, do you wish to try again?

OPTIONAL - Download the Reset DRM Tool from Microsoft, Change Compatibility Mode to Windows 7 (or lesser version of Windows), Run the Tool As Admin. It should Install and say Successful.

2) Open up Windows "Services" via Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services.

3) With Media Center Open and Showing "The PlayReady update was incomplete. Do you want to try again?", go to the Services panel you just opened and scroll all the way down to "Windows Media Center Receiver Services" (ehRecvr), double click on it, then click "Stop"

4) Navigate to the ReadyPlay HIDDEN folder (C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\PlayReady) and then rename the mspr.hds file to mspr.old

5) Go back to the STILL OPEN & RUNNING, Media Center and click "Yes" and "Next" to the Update PlayReady question. It should immediately zip past and say update complete.

6) Restart Windows Media Center

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:42 pm

mldenison wrote:This always works for me:

1) Get to the point in media center that it says Playready failed to update, do you wish to try again?

OPTIONAL - Download the Reset DRM Tool from Microsoft, Change Compatibility Mode to Windows 7 (or lesser version of Windows), Run the Tool As Admin. It should Install and say Successful.

2) Open up Windows "Services" via Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services.

3) With Media Center Open and Showing "The PlayReady update was incomplete. Do you want to try again?", go to the Services panel you just opened and scroll all the way down to "Windows Media Center Receiver Services" (ehRecvr), double click on it, then click "Stop"

4) Navigate to the ReadyPlay HIDDEN folder (C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\PlayReady) and then rename the mspr.hds file to mspr.old

5) Go back to the STILL OPEN & RUNNING, Media Center and click "Yes" and "Next" to the Update PlayReady question. It should immediately zip past and say update complete.

+1

Even when I last ran setup with my cable card, I had to go this way too... I keep this process in a text doc, just in case.
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:59 pm

Nice, that looks like a good one.

If you have previously recorded protected movies, do you lose the right to play them when you rename mspr.hds ?

cwinfield

Post by cwinfield » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:57 pm

Crash2009 wrote:Nice, that looks like a good one.

If you have previously recorded protected movies, do you lose the right to play them when you rename mspr.hds ?
No but if you use reset DRM it does. It creates a new one when playready updates. Your playready key is generated by your partition and hardware data

bassen

Post by bassen » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:06 am

DavidinCT wrote:
mldenison wrote:This always works for me:

+1

Even when I last ran setup with my cable card, I had to go this way too... I keep this process in a text doc, just in case.
Thanks for the Input but still have problem,I have even reloaded without doing any updates but as soon as WMC goes through it configuration it tries to update Playready and then back to the same loop again.
I did this suggestion and it would get me past that point but then as soon as it tries to tune in live video the screen will freeze the switch to needs update.
I still feel its something that Microsoft has changed on their end to cause Media center to stop. It was working good about a week ago.
I know that Media center is "DEAD" but for those of that still use it and really like it, Microsoft should leave it alone so that it would continue to work as it did with out any updates.

AllIn7MC

Post by AllIn7MC » Sat May 05, 2018 12:14 am

Just happened to me today...I tried the DRM reset and procedure above but it is not working. I will try to remove windows components: windows media center and see if I can reinstall it.

Finally sorted it out with solution 2 on the Silicon Dust website
https://forum.silicondust.com/forum/vie ... hp?t=10360

and my Schedules Direct is sorted out and epg123 appears to be working for me, so other than losing some DRM'd stuff (no big deal for me) I am hoping to keep my windows 7 WMC system going past 2020 ;)

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sat May 05, 2018 6:55 am

Solution 2, nice find. It really is amazing that some of the old 2011 fixes still work today.

Windom

Post by Windom » Sun May 13, 2018 5:45 pm

This issue just popped up for me last night.

If I understand correctly, there is no solution that will not reset the DRM thus preventing watching of old protected content. Is that correct?

UPDATE: I tried doing the steps in post #4 (w/o the OPTIONAL step), but when I tried to rename mspr.hds, it said that mspr.hds was in use by ehvid.exe. Is there another service I need to stop?

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Thu May 24, 2018 5:53 am

Windom wrote:
UPDATE: I tried doing the steps in post #4 (w/o the OPTIONAL step), but when I tried to rename mspr.hds, it said that mspr.hds was in use by ehvid.exe. Is there another service I need to stop?
You might have to use a little software called take ownership. Once you take ownership of mspr.hds you can do whatever you want to it