Overview of WMC streaming services in 2018

jachin99

HTPC Specs: Show details

Overview of WMC streaming services in 2018

Post by jachin99 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:42 am

See here: https://youtu.be/VC2EshGCNbE

I Made this video on my office PC, which has quite a bit of crap installed on it. My other PCs with the same addons arent laggy. EZ vid might also slow it down some. In all of my other installations I don't get that popup box when I open netflix so I will have to investigate that but I'm sure there is a way to get rid of it. I have various threads around these forums about each plugin but for reference purposes, they are:

Tubecore: Playon plugin & DLNA reciever. Anything that can be broadcast over the network VIA DLNA can be played with tubecore. This is paid software but I have only ever used the trail, and it works fine for me. I have a subscription to playon but it might not be needed either
Macrotube: This used to have more video services but it needs someone to build updated XML files for new sites. TWIT is the only that still works today
Youtube: I just used youtube leanback, and added a shortcut to the start menu
Netflix: Uses Flash player, and pause and play must be clicked with a mouse. There is a separate service that must be installed to restore search functionality
Amazon: Brand new release but it seems to work fine. It doesn't broadcast 5 channel audio but it works fine for casual vieweing for me.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:27 pm

Still very limited depending on what you need. Does the Hulu desktop app still work ? That was an option you could add to WMC as well but, I have not used it in ages so odds are it's dead.

I use Youtube and Amazon (the new app, still trying to get 5.1 audio if possable)..
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:25 pm

I think Hulu died in 2015 when they changed how authentication work. TVersity media server advertises that it works with Hulu but I haven't tried it and its about fifteen bucks. You could use tubecore to view it because it uses DLNA like Play on. TVersity also has a screen mirroring server that might play WMC fullscreen over RDP but I haven't tried that yet either. I have a license for each but I don't have a need for them at the moment.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:20 pm

Keep in mind, almost any site could work, as long as you can navigate it with the keyboard arrows and hit enter to select it, it would be a nice test. It's too bad Windows 8.1/10 apps could not be used this way, it would be nice for app choices for WMC.
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012