Win7, Movie Library and Subtitles ! Any idea ?

jachin99

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by jachin99 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:20 pm

Emby for WMC integrates really well in WMC. I can post a demo for you really quick if you would like. For other emby apps, it might not be as straight forward starting them from the command line, and I'm not sure what plex's capabilities are there either. JRiver has a few different ways of launching directly to a shortcut.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:01 pm

jachin99 wrote:Emby for WMC integrates really well in WMC. I can post a demo for you really quick if you would like. For other emby apps, it might not be as straight forward starting them from the command line, and I'm not sure what plex's capabilities are there either. JRiver has a few different ways of launching directly to a shortcut.
Can Emby... Give a link to Movies, that I can setup in WMC, that when it's opened, it ONLY shows movies. No music, no TV no other content ?

I'm finding this part to be hard... it seems like all these replacements have EVERYTHING but, to get each broken up is a different story.
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:08 pm

Yes. You can setup specific libraries in emby, and configure it to skip logon screens etc. YOU MIGHT have to select a movies button then go into your movies though. I would have to look.

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:10 pm

I also want to say that emby uses WMCs built in video player. I would ping their forums to make sure h265 subtitles have a working example I wmby for wmc. They might ask you to test. I don't have an h265 file to play with.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:15 pm

jachin99 wrote:Yes. You can setup specific libraries in emby, and configure it to skip logon screens etc. YOU MIGHT have to select a movies button then go into your movies though. I would have to look.
Specific libraries is one thing, all products have that (Kodi,Plex, etc) Clicking a Movie ICON and going directly into movies is a completely different thing.

The PRIMARY reason for doing a 3rd party movie library is to replace WMC's one. The usability needs to be the same. This is one thing I am finding hard. And don't even bring up "My Movies" what a POS that is...(I did a test for almost a month and had a nightmare with it).

If it's going to be harder to use, or need to click through things to load it, I might as well skip the subtitles and live with what I have...
jachin99 wrote:I also want to say that emby uses WMCs built in video player. I would ping their forums to make sure h265 subtitles have a working example I wmby for WMC. They might ask you to test. I don't have an h265 file to play with.
As long as it uses WMC's player, it should not cause problems with bitstreaming (I use to get HD audio features). That is even bigger than the subtitles, no DTS HD/X etc, no use.

If this product wont do what I want (above), I will not even be testing it... as it might fit some features but, if the usability is not there, I don't want it.
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:00 pm

I have set something like this up before I believe. I made a user named movies, then restricted that user to only view movies and then disabled the enhanced home screen and set the movies user up to long on automatically. I'll have to tinker with it some but I remember being able to click an icon and go straight into libraries for the user movies, games, etc. Ill have to look.

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:30 am

Alrite David, the best I could do is to have emby land on a screen that shows five or ten of your most recently added movies. You would still have to select text that says movies to view all of them. If this doesn't work and you want to jump straight into your movies JRiver has a command line and web api and I know for sure the command line interface let's you do this. The issue would be if you executed a batch script you might get a console window flash for a second.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:42 pm

jachin99 wrote:Alrite David, the best I could do is to have emby land on a screen that shows five or ten of your most recently added movies. You would still have to select text that says movies to view all of them. If this doesn't work and you want to jump straight into your movies JRiver has a command line and web api and I know for sure the command line interface let's you do this. The issue would be if you executed a batch script you might get a console window flash for a second.
Thanks. I have a 2 VM's setup for testing WMC apps, I am going to have to use this for testing. I need to find a option but, before ANYTHING ELSE, I am looking for JUST a movie Library replacement, it needs to work as well as it does now.

My WMC machine is so tweaked that it works perfect... so nothing gets installed unless it's tested outside, or a OS drive backup is run first.
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:45 pm

JRMC and emby both store files within a movies folder. I believe there are options in both to not do this. YAMM stores all of it's info locally and inserts it's data in the WMC metadata cache I believe. Just something to be mindful of. You might want to make a share with a few files on it for testing

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:42 pm

I didn't know people were still using the WMC library and player for local content. I suggest using another more modern app for this.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:18 pm

jachin99 wrote:JRMC and emby both store files within a movies folder. I believe there are options in both to not do this. YAMM stores all of it's info locally and inserts it's data in the WMC metadata cache I believe. Just something to be mindful of. You might want to make a share with a few files on it for testing
It's the whole point of the VM's, test and confirm. I grabbed 4 smaller movies I have (kids movies mostly) in their own folders with images, nothing else for testing. This project might have to hold out for a week or 2 through. It's been crazy busy. Sigh...always something.
Sammy2 wrote:I didn't know people were still using the WMC library and player for local content. I suggest using another more modern app for this.
I used the built in Movie Library because it worked, simple, it's quick and showed data/art that I needed. There is actually nothing wrong with it, if your not using 500 movies and you setup up correctly. It does work pretty well, I would not even be looking at a 3rd party option if it handled subtitles correctly.
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:38 pm

No worries, I get busy too so I get it.

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:00 pm

DavidinCT wrote:
Sammy2 wrote:I didn't know people were still using the WMC library and player for local content. I suggest using another more modern app for this.
I used the built in Movie Library because it worked, simple, it's quick and showed data/art that I needed. There is actually nothing wrong with it, if your not using 500 movies and you setup up correctly. It does work pretty well, I would not even be looking at a 3rd party option if it handled subtitles correctly.
I do have 500 movies and several thousand TV Series/Episodes. I want to view them at 23.xx with lossless audio on my Panasonic Plasma but also have them available throughout the house on SmartTV's and Rokus as well as throughout the world. WMC is very limited in doing this. I left the WMC Library behind in 2011 in favor of MB 2.6.2 and MPC-HC with madVR and haven't looked back.

Sorry to sound snooty or snobby but I think you'd be better off moving on from using the WMC Library in the long run.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Last edited by Sammy2 on Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:02 pm

All that said, maybe you can insert the srt's into the mkv's with mkvToolNIx / mkvMergeGUI?

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:00 pm

Sammy2 wrote:All that said, maybe you can insert the srt's into the mkv's with mkvToolNIx / mkvMergeGUI?

Yes, I know I can do that but, I want to be able to TURN THEM OFF and with the movie library they would always be on. If you read my first post on this thread, this issue came up because my wonderfull wife is a little hard of hearing, so she needs hearing aids. Even blasting my big home theater, some vocies she cant hear well. So she likes the subtitles on so it's not a problem.

Also, if you add a subitle to a MVK file... any type, you can forget ever playing them on an extender in any way possable.

I personally hate subitiles on unless they are forced. So I need to be able to turn them on and off but, the DEFAULT needs to be off. This is why I need a 3rd party option as the built in option is not built to handle this.

Anyway, I had a hard drive failure in my desktop... I was able to save MOST of the data (no major things were lost) but, for some reason, the 2 vms I was using for this got damaged.. SO I had to nuke them and rebuiling them today (one Windows 7 Ultimate x64 and one WIndows 7 starter that will be upgraded to Windows 10 through the back door)
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 5:31 am

What about setting up mpchc and using mikinhos open with? I haven't gotten to test that one yet because I can't find it but if it does what I think it does then it will let you open your files with an external player

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:44 pm

jachin99 wrote:What about setting up mpchc and using mikinhos open with? I haven't gotten to test that one yet because I can't find it but if it does what I think it does then it will let you open your files with an external player
A HUGE thing is keeping the experience inside media center or at least appear to be. Everything must be 100% controlled by 1 remote. If it was to get opened by an external player, then when you stop the movie it might not go back to WMC.

This is why each difference package needs to be tested fully. I don't want to test on the main machine that is working good.
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 1:51 pm

From his site on the web archive...

Open With is a simple helper add-in for Windows 7 Media Center for playing video files in an external player via the native interface. It works by configuring a default external player. The player will be launched for any configured extension in addition to any video file that has soft subtitle files (srt or idx\sub) present in the same folder as the video file. You may also setup a different player per file extension.
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Mikinho\OpenWith\Video]
"FileName"="D:\Program Files\MPC HomeCinema (x64)\mpc-hc64.exe"
"Arguments"="\"{0}\" /fullscreen /play /close"

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Mikinho\OpenWith\Video\.mov]
"FileName"="D:\Program Files\MPC HomeCinema (x64)\mpc-hc64.exe"
"Arguments"="\"{0}\" /fullscreen /play /close"

Why?

I basically wrote this add-in to increase my WAF. Soft subtitles do not work natively (yet) in MC7 and most decoders that will add subtitle support do not utilize hardware acceleration. I'm using Open With to fix both these issues while still using the native interface.

I have my default player set to MPC-Hc x64, this enables hardware acceleration on my Ion mini-HTPC. I also have .mov set to use VLC Player as my camera creates unsupported mov files.

Note:

•Hitting the Back will exit the external player and return to Media Center.

•I have only tested on W7 RTM x64

•You may see a the video play in Media Center briefly as the external player is launched

•If there is interest to localize the loading screen please let me know

I havent been able to find a copy of it but it sounds similar to your needs.

Space

Post by Space » Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:38 pm

I've used OpenWith with MPC and madVR to play various video types that include external subtitles. It is my go-to option for viewing videos that have external subtitles. But I don't use it very much (the bulk of my activity is recording and watching WTV files). I still have it installed and as far as I know it still works.

It responds to the remote control, except it uses different buttons on the remote to do stuff. Like it uses the left and right arrows to jump ahead and back and the play button to pause/play (I think, haven't used it in a while). It may be possible to redefine the remote buttons, I'm not sure.

Anyway, I am sure someone on here will have a copy of OpenWith if you want it, otherwise I can see if I kept a copy somewhere when I get a chance...

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Mon Apr 30, 2018 3:50 pm

Yes, please share it, and any other mikinho plugins you might have. You can define remote buttons in MPC-HC, and it has a web API. When I use it, I map the back button to close it out. There is also a way to have it mark a file as watched I believe but I'm not sure if it will do a resume.