Does PowerDVD 17 still come with a WMC plugin?

nikleb

HTPC Specs: Show details

Does PowerDVD 17 still come with a WMC plugin?

Post by nikleb » Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:55 pm

Hi, I am currently using PowerDVD12 and having some issues after updating with latest patch. Getting error "Cyberlink PowerDVD cannot play this content because it is corrupted"

Thinking about upgrading to a newer version. But before I do so I wanted to make sure v17 still comes with the WMC shell integration.

joecrow

Post by joecrow » Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:23 pm

No, the last version of PowerDVD with an WMC plugin was 15. 16 and 17 have a new full screen option which they describe as "TV" rather than "Cinema" but the WMC plugin part is gone. PowerDVD 15 is still working OK for me, except for 3D playback which stopped working after the Win 10 Fall Creators Update. :(

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:59 pm

joecrow wrote:No, the last version of PowerDVD with an WMC plugin was 15. 16 and 17 have a new full screen option which they describe as "TV" rather than "Cinema" but the WMC plugin part is gone. PowerDVD 15 is still working OK for me, except for 3D playback which stopped working after the Win 10 Fall Creators Update. :(
Wondering, could one... Install 15 and do a upgrade to 17... would it keep the WMC plugin ?

the plugin is nothing special, you could do it with relaunch on 17. The limits would be you would not get auto play in WMC, you would have to open powerDVD to play a bluray/4K Blu-ray (if your player supports it).

The Nice thing. WMC needs exclusive access to hardware, including sound cards/HDMI. So if you were running 15, you don't get (it was very tricky to get running) HD audio formats, as it requires bitstreaming. With ReLaunch, it closes WMC and opens the app, hitting the green button will forces close the app and open WMC again. This will give exclusive access to HDMI to PowerDVD allowing for HD audio formats... at least it SHOULD.

And if your Using WMC on Windows 7 (where this thread is), you cant take the WIn 10 fall creators update :)
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

nikleb

Post by nikleb » Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:21 pm

So, upgrade to 15 would be safe on Win7 and I woudl not loose any features?
Not even sure if there is an upgrade license to 15.

BTW. Is there a detailed logging capability in PowerDVD that allows me to see more what is going on? The error I am getting is obviously wrong but wonder if I can see something.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:02 pm

nikleb wrote:So, upgrade to 15 would be safe on Win7 and I woudl not loose any features?
Not even sure if there is an upgrade license to 15.

BTW. Is there a detailed logging capability in PowerDVD that allows me to see more what is going on? The error I am getting is obviously wrong but wonder if I can see something.
You cant "buy" PowerDVD 15 any more. They only sell the current version (17). I did run 15 for a while on Windows 7, no problems. I normally don't watch direct Blu-rays on my WMC machine. I run Rip And compress with MakeMKV, I run it, it rips it and then I watch my rip. No compression so it's the full rip off the Blu-ray, well, I normally just watch the main movie.

It's a WMC app...

It might be worth looking into on 15 (I can reinstall it) and see where the MCL lives (wmc app) and see if I can rip it out and put it back in for 17... You get the newest version AND a WMC app.
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

joecrow

Post by joecrow » Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:21 am

DavidinCT wrote: Wondering, could one... Install 15 and do a upgrade to 17... would it keep the WMC plugin ?
I tried that but it looks like other than the activation upgrade it does a full uninstall/reinstall so I doubt it. I subsequently returned the upgrade to 17 during the 30 day evaluation period and got my money back.
DavidinCT wrote: And if your Using WMC on Windows 7 (where this thread is), you cant take the WIn 10 fall creators update :)
Very true just commenting that not all is well with 15 either. PowerDVD* has big problems playing 3D with Nvidia GPUs generally and with the Win 10 CFU. I agree that ripping to ,mkv is a preferred solution but I still have a need to sometimes play BD Disks.I'm No longer using WMC now on Win 10 and Media Portal and since the demise of TMT, PowerDVD is the only game in town, hopefully 18 will be better. :roll:

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Sun Apr 01, 2018 2:52 pm

joecrow wrote:
DavidinCT wrote: Wondering, could one... Install 15 and do a upgrade to 17... would it keep the WMC plugin ?
I tried that but it looks like other than the activation upgrade it does a full uninstall/reinstall so I doubt it. I subsequently returned the upgrade to 17 during the 30 day evaluation period and got my money back.
DavidinCT wrote: And if your Using WMC on Windows 7 (where this thread is), you cant take the WIn 10 fall creators update :)
Very true just commenting that not all is well with 15 either. PowerDVD* has big problems playing 3D with Nvidia GPUs generally and with the Win 10 CFU. I agree that ripping to ,mkv is a preferred solution but I still have a need to sometimes play BD Disks.I'm No longer using WMC now on Win 10 and Media Portal and since the demise of TMT, PowerDVD is the only game in town, hopefully 18 will be better. :roll:
You can install 17 and use ReLaunch... It will solve the problem (4K Blu-ray might be a problem due to DRM). What I was getting at before. If you install 15, it adds a MCL, that just points to the PowerDVD.exe, PowerDVD runs as a full screen app, so it might be possible to rip the MCL from 15 and use on 17 (just the WMC files) but, personally, I think Re-Launch would be a better choice due to it fully exiting WMC before running the app.

Only thing, you don't want to auto play them, you want to manually run them and that should work perfect. I like ripping them but, to each their own.

I have a extended trial of PDVD 17, maybe I will try this (long story, through a contact but, it's only like 90 days or something, I have not touched it yet)
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

nikleb

Post by nikleb » Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:39 pm

At this point I don't even know if a newer version would fix my problem. I woudl not mind trying. But frankly, I am not sure how to go back if needed. e.g. where to get the 12 download and to find my current licenses key.

nikleb

Post by nikleb » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:42 am

BTW. There are some PowerDVD15's available on ebay. Mostly form UK...

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:57 pm

nikleb wrote:BTW. There are some PowerDVD15's available on ebay. Mostly form UK...
Sure you could be a used copy, or OEM version of 15 but, directly from the company, I don't think they would sell you a older version.
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

joecrow

Post by joecrow » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:29 pm

If you still want a retail copy of PowerDVD 15 Ultra (with proof of purchase/activation etc.) I will shortly be buying PowerDVD 18 and since Cyberlink are not offering any discount for an upgrade version from 15, I might as well buy the full version. Therefore I would be more than happy to recover a few bucks by selling the old version, PM me if you are interested.