Everything you need to make a plugin!!

jachin99

HTPC Specs: Show details

Everything you need to make a plugin!!

Post by jachin99 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:50 am

I have packaged everything needed to start making plugins for WMC!! If your as excited about this as I am, then see the links below which include a 2 part video walkthrough taken off of the Web archive and the old Media Center Sandbox, some text documents that explain how to make plugins, and a copy of MSVS 2008 express, and the WMC sdk version 6. Let me know if you find this useful, or give me whatever feedback you deem neccessary.

See here for video walkthroughs I found on the web archive: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... TecX81TArH

For copy of MSVS express 2008, and a few other helpful documents, see here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1QDl-t ... e6tvukI2zh

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:31 pm

Time for a new VM... I''ve had this stuff installed in the past and dabbled a little but, never too much.
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:06 pm

Glad to hear it!! Let me know if anything is missing.

CoteRotie

Post by CoteRotie » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:14 pm

Hmmm, might take a shot at this too.

Would be great if we could post ideas for useful plug-ins here or in an alternate thread. Then whoever wants to take a shot at developing plug-ins could have a list of ideas to pick from.

Also, this is posted in the Win 7 forum, anything different needed for Win 8 MC? Are all the development tools compatible with Win 10?

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:05 pm

I stick to Windows 7 forums because I think it has the most traffic. For Windows 8, I believe all of the references (.dll files) are .net 4.0 where the win 7 assemblies are .net 3.5. I suspect all that would be needed is to replace the WMC references in the WMC project templates with the newer assemblies. After .net 4.0 there are actually two Global Assembly Caches or GACS. For .net 3.5 the gac is in c\windows\assembly or something similar for .net 4.0 its in c\windows\Microsoft.net. After 4.0 I think things work a little differently, and I haven't looked into it too much. I think for the purpose of WMC, you would have to get the new assemblies from c\windows\Microsoft.net\assembly\gacmsil. I hope that helps.

CoteRotie

Post by CoteRotie » Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:50 pm

Sounds reasonable, thanks.

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:10 am

CoteRotie wrote:Hmmm, might take a shot at this too.

Would be great if we could post ideas for useful plug-ins here or in an alternate thread. Then whoever wants to take a shot at developing plug-ins could have a list of ideas to pick from.
I don't know how knowledgeable you are in terms of software development but even without a poll I would bet an Android or even iPhone app would be a big hit. Xamarin is crossplatform and it's contemporary. It's also simple to learn. If someone could incorporate every feature of WMC into the remote then it would be successful. Look at meteor remote to see a good example. It was on windows phone so it failed with that