New theme!!

jachin99

HTPC Specs: Show details

New theme!!

Post by jachin99 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:46 pm

I built a new theme for Media Center, and the best way to show all the changes is with a video. See here https://youtu.be/PkzQPLDMQKQ

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:38 pm

So what did you use to theme WMC? I've been using it since 2011 and haven't done anything but plain jane blue.

Can the background pictures be changed?

The Youtube videos.. are they downloaded videos or is that fed directly from youtube.com?

I'm seeing Netflix in there. Is that working?

Finally, does this work on extenders?

Thanks.

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:45 pm

I used software called ezvid to capture my screen. It's free but it inserts a small ad in the beginning.
-To change the background I used a modified version of ehres.dll (This is just a graphics file for windows media center) that already had new images edited for each page (Music, Movies, etc.).
- I then applied the Modern 8 theme using media center themer, and used Modern 8 to replace the stock images from my modified ehres file, and change a few things I didn't like. Modern 8 theme was built in such a way that it can be easily modified and I have carried this over into my theme. Every image seen in the video and hundreds more can be changed. To bring Netflix back I replaced a missing file. This Netflix relies on flash and pause and play have to be clicked with a mouse but it otherwise still works. I have more and I'll share my files for what is in the video but I wanted to gauge interest for a little bit so I'm open to suggestions. And it does work with extenders
Last edited by jachin99 on Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:00 pm

So not Mediacenter Studio or Mediacenter Themer?

Am I misunderstanding how you applied the settings?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:23 pm

I used Mediacenter Themer. Posting replies on my phone is really hard because there is a window sizing issue in chrome for some reason so I'm lucky my reply came out as coherent as it did. I can't see a lot of what I type from the phone.

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:59 pm

jachin99 wrote:I used Mediacenter Themer. Posting replies on my phone is really hard because there is a window sizing issue in chrome for some reason so I'm lucky my reply came out as coherent as it did. I can't see a lot of what I type from the phone.
Tapatalk!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Space

Post by Space » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:47 pm

I'm curious as to how you got the date and time in the upper right corner, I only have the time. Is there a registry setting or is it more complicated?

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:18 am

Ok, as promised here is a link that should have the files needed to apply this theme. There are more changes than what is shown in the video but as i said before, I'm getting my feet wet here so its not complete. With the file located in this link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1KwMnq ... h3u9OUCkGz (Hopefully, I need to figure out file hosting as well) do the following:

1. Take ownership of ehres.dll which is located at c:\windows\ehome. I have provided a registry tweak that adds take ownership to the windows explorer context menu but you can also manually take ownership as well. Because It i don't believe it is a good idea to leave this in the context menu, I have created a .reg file to undo take ownership from explorer as well.

2. Make a backup copy of your current ehres.dll file, and store it somewhere safe just in case something wierd happens. After the backup has been made, drag and drop the included ehres.dll into the folder from step 1 to replace the factory version. This will give you a windows media center resource file that has a different background for the homescreen, videos, movies, radio, and pictures off of the top of my head. There are many other changes in this file, and I cannot list them all. This file will change the sounds in WMC as well but these are easily changed with Modern8, and MCT - I didn't care too much for the sounds from the Metropolis theme.

3. Now that you have a different graphic for each page in WMC, ensure media center themer is installed on your machine AND ENSURE THE MODERN8 FOLDER, AND MODERN8.XML FILE ARE IN THE PROGRAMDATA\MEDIA CENTER THEMER DIRECTORY, and use it to apply the Modern8 theme I have included. This is a work in progress however, you should be able to easily make changes given the folder structure.

4. Tweak your setup to your liking.

5. If you decide you don't like the changes, take ownership of the NEW ehres.dll if neccessary, and drop your factory version back in windows\ehome. Modern8 is built assuming every page in WMC is the same, and you may have to edit out some of my changes to get it to work with a stock ehres.dll. The page changes (Movies background, radio background, etc.) are at the very top of modern8.xml. If you need help working with media center themer or run into troubles, you can search around the forums or the internet, or just ask me for help. This theme was designed for media center themer, and NOT media center studio or MCE reset toolbox. It will not work with those in its current form. As always, before modifying your PC, I ADVISE YOU TO MAKE A BACKUP. Let me know how things turn out. Hopefully this turns into something that can be built upon, and thanks for trying my stuff.
Last edited by jachin99 on Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:19 am

Space wrote:I'm curious as to how you got the date and time in the upper right corner, I only have the time. Is there a registry setting or is it more complicated?
That is a change that was built into the modern8 theme. You can find it under modern8\Shell\Clocks.mcml

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:54 am

Sammy2 wrote: I'm seeing Netflix in there. Is that working?
I'll throw up the files you need for this as well but I have to get some sleep for the night. If you try the theme, let me know how you like it.

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:38 pm

Here are the files needed to restore netflix: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1SO79G ... X2VTUWtpD4

/////NETFLIX FOR MEDIA CENTER REQUIRES MICROSOFT SILVERLIGHT\\\\\\
LIMITATIONS:
You will have to install a service in order to fix the search function
Pause, Play, and seek controls do not work however basic navigation (Up, Down, etc.) still do.

Procedure
-Ensure you have silverlight installed
-Sign into netflix in Internet Explorer
-Copy markup.dll to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\eHome\Packages\MCEClientUX\UpdateableMarkup
-Select Netflix from the Movies strip of your start menu, and install it and sign in
-Enjoy netflix

///NETFLIX SEARCH FIX\\\
This installs a service that bypassess the microsoft search server, and goes to a netflix server
Right cllick install.bat and run as administrator.

See: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=7527&start=20