7MC crashing repeatedly

ivanekbpf

HTPC Specs: Show details

7MC crashing repeatedly

Post by ivanekbpf » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:33 am

I have had an issue for 3 weeks now that is driving me nuts. I cant get media center to run for more than 30 mins without crashing. Sometimes just media center will crash, other times it blue screens, and occasionally the computer just restarts without warning. If I don't run media center the system seems stable. Most times the error message is as below:-
----------------------------
Faulting application name: ehShell.exe, version: 6.1.7600.16385, time stamp: 0x4a5bccdc
Faulting module name: msmpeg2adec.dll, version: 6.1.7601.23285, time stamp: 0x56675139
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00089d23
Faulting process id: 0x%9
Faulting application start time: 0x%10
Faulting application path: %11
Faulting module path: %12
Report Id: %13
------------------------------------------
I have tried the following
-restored to various points going back months
-recovered from image
-re-written c drive from backups from 6 months previous
-swapped out ram
-swapped out graphics card with 2 or 3 others (though the replacements may have been dodgy )
-tested the hard drive with OS on it (its an SSD which seems to check out OK)
-chkdsk, sfc etc. sfc found corrupt files the first time around. Seemed ok after restore(s)

Still can't establish if its hardware or software related. Does the error message give any clues?
I'm no expert at reading them. A search of msmpeg2adec.dll says its an audio related file.
Any ideas?

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:05 pm

Try going to Control Panel > Programs and Features then turning off WMC and turning it back on again to see if that clears it up but you will need to setup TV again in WMC.

ivanekbpf

Post by ivanekbpf » Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:55 pm

No. Didn't help. In fact crashed after 2 mins and reported faulting module unknown.
If I have completely re-written the operating system disc back to a known point where it was working OK would that rule out software issues?

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:21 am

Bad RAM?
Bad disk?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

ivanekbpf

Post by ivanekbpf » Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:35 am

Mem test came up clean. I have 4 ram sticks and I have swapped them out 2 at a time. No appreciable difference.
OS SSD disk has come up clean in several tests. I have 2 other drives. chkdsk runs clean on both.

Indymil

Post by Indymil » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:15 pm

I have had the same problem starting in march. Same error message "Error; event id 1000, task (100); faulting app name ehshell.exe , v 6.1.7600.16385; faulting module KERNELBASE.dll, v 6.1.7601.23915; except code 0xe0434f4d; (mar 9, 6:47 am). This happened on at least two occasions.

I have 4 media centers, the error only occurred on 1.

Hasn't happened lately.

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:47 pm

I would start with a clean install of Windows 7.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:05 pm

Scallica wrote:I would start with a clean install of Windows 7.
Agreed, maybe it's time for a fresh rebuild. If it crashed as soon as it opened or when you tried to play some type of content, I could see it being a WMC error.

To the OP. Your saying it works fine till it's 30 min, is it EXACTLY 30 min, or is this an estimate ? Have you reset WMC back to first run (reset it) ? Did you install any new apps ?

Did you check your SMART drive for failures ?

I run this command, it outputs a TEXT file (change c:\config\Results\SMART-Result.txt to where you want the file to go) and it will check the SMART to see if the drive is about to fail.

WMIC /output:"c:\config\Results\SMART-Result.txt"/NAMESPACE:\\root\wmi PATH MSStorageDriver_FailurePredictStatus get instancename, predictfailure, reason

It will export something like this...

InstanceName PredictFailure Reason
IDE\DiskSSD2SC120G1CS1754D117-551_______________CS111101\5&226a457d&0&0.0.0_0 FALSE 0

In this case, the paste didn't line up but, it says PredictFailure - False (it means it's good)

A little command for those who batch out everything... Useful data as this command will check all your drives for SMART failures...
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

ivanekbpf

Post by ivanekbpf » Sun Mar 18, 2018 9:03 am

David-No time varies between 2 and 60 odd minutes. It only happens while live TV or recordings are playing. While WMC is idle or even closed and recording in a background application its fine. I'll try your batch.
Scallica-Not sure how a clean install would achieve much more than completely re-writing the OS drive. But my bigger issue is that my original install disk was an upgrade and MS wont let me re-install it or even do a restore installation, even with my legit key. I would have to somehow get hold of a new install disk and then MS authenticate it, which I don't think they will do anymore?

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:37 pm

ivanekbpf wrote:Not sure how a clean install would achieve much more than completely re-writing the OS drive. But my bigger issue is that my original install disk was an upgrade and MS wont let me re-install it or even do a restore installation, even with my legit key. I would have to somehow get hold of a new install disk and then MS authenticate it, which I don't think they will do anymore?
A clean install means re-formatting the OS drive and starting over. Keep in mind, any copy-protected recordings would be unplayable after the re-install.

You can do a clean install of Windows 7 with an upgrade key.

https://www.wikihow.com/Clean-Install-W ... rade-Media

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:34 pm

ivanekbpf wrote:David-No time varies between 2 and 60 odd minutes. It only happens while live TV or recordings are playing. While WMC is idle or even closed and recording in a background application its fine. I'll try your batch.
Scallica-Not sure how a clean install would achieve much more than completely re-writing the OS drive. But my bigger issue is that my original install disk was an upgrade and MS wont let me re-install it or even do a restore installation, even with my legit key. I would have to somehow get hold of a new install disk and then MS authenticate it, which I don't think they will do anymore?
Oh, this is interesting...

So it only happens when Video is playing ?

This leads me to video card based issues. Drivers or other type issues ? Remove all drivers, go back to basic VGA driver, use a 3rd party program to remove all references from all video drivers. Reinstall DirectX (google it, quick install) and try again.

This really looks like something with the video subsystem if it only crashes when your playing video.... Maybe a rebuild would be in order.

As for your KEY issue....What version of Windows 7 do you have ? Is it home premium, Pro or ultimate ? If you have valid key, there is resources to get an ISO (sp1 slipstreamed)... and if it gives you activation issues, Microsoft is required to allow you re-install it.. They will push 10 but, it's still under the support agreement.
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

ivanekbpf

Post by ivanekbpf » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:56 am

I have W7 home premium. I swapped in a known working graphics card a few days ago and same thing happened.
As far as hardware is concerned I am down to PSU, Mobo and CPU as possibilities. I would like to rule them out before I do a clean reinstall, which may be the last resort. The last one nearly broke me getting everything back working again. Thanks for tips re-upgrade key.
I think I will strip it down and give it a clean (pretty dusty). Swap out the PSU to rule that out. Re-seat the CPU heat sink . Then put back the basics, remove all the drivers as you say and see what happens. I'll get back when I have done that.
What 3rd party applications remove references to video drivers, from the registry I assume?

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:57 pm

ivanekbpf wrote:I have W7 home premium. I swapped in a known working graphics card a few days ago and same thing happened.
As far as hardware is concerned I am down to PSU, Mobo and CPU as possibilities. I would like to rule them out before I do a clean reinstall, which may be the last resort. The last one nearly broke me getting everything back working again. Thanks for tips re-upgrade key.
I think I will strip it down and give it a clean (pretty dusty). Swap out the PSU to rule that out. Re-seat the CPU heat sink . Then put back the basics, remove all the drivers as you say and see what happens. I'll get back when I have done that.
What 3rd party applications remove references to video drivers, from the registry I assume?
Have you tried some hardware testing software like Prime95 (a serious stress system testing), or HWiNFO (gives a lot of detail on hardware) ?

I would check out the hardware (sometimes blowing out a fan could fix issues like this but, it would have to be REALLY BAD) but, starting to feel like it's an OS problem. If you can backup your system (OS drive), and then re-install... If I the problem is still there then restore and go back.

Keep us in the loop, I am wondering now...

As for ISO's, take a look here.... Some are torrent but, official "UNTOUCHED" isos for all versions of Windows 7 with Sp1 ...

https://forums.mydigitallife.net/thread ... nks.60681/

Direct links..
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

ivanekbpf

Post by ivanekbpf » Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:34 am

I didn't think it was relevant but I am having another issue with file explorer. Keeps crashing. It isn't as frequent but seems to be fixed by a re-boot. Could it have a bearing?

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: Explorer.EXE
Application Version: 6.1.7601.17567
Application Timestamp: 4d6727a7
Fault Module Name: SHELL32.dll
Fault Module Version: 6.1.7601.18952
Fault Module Timestamp: 55c39c76
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 00170ea0
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 3081
Additional Information 1: 0a9e
Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
Additional Information 3: 0a9e
Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

I am trying the stress tests now.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:42 pm

ivanekbpf wrote:I didn't think it was relevant but I am having another issue with file explorer. Keeps crashing. It isn't as frequent but seems to be fixed by a re-boot. Could it have a bearing?

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: Explorer.EXE
Application Version: 6.1.7601.17567
Application Timestamp: 4d6727a7
Fault Module Name: SHELL32.dll
Fault Module Version: 6.1.7601.18952
Fault Module Timestamp: 55c39c76
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 00170ea0
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 3081
Additional Information 1: 0a9e
Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
Additional Information 3: 0a9e
Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

I am trying the stress tests now.
No question you have some major stability issues here. If explorer is crashing as well, odds are it's not WMC, or a Have you checked for a virus or spyware ? If your running anti-virus software, remove it for testing (Microsoft's I would not touch)

You need to pull out all factors if your believe it's hardware. Pull out all ram accept 1 chip, if still a problem, swap that one for another chip, also try different memory slots., Pull out video card and run onboard if available, Pull out tuner cards if internal. Run Windows, Check for being stable. This would be a back and forth time trying. Strip down to bear hardware...

I had my Mother's laptop with an issue. Windows 10 was blue-screening a lot, the laptop is less than 2 years old. Some days it would work and just randomly fail. I reinstalled Windows (backed up data first) and same problem. Long story short, One of the memory slots on the board had failed, with 2 memory sticks in it would fail, one it would be stable, move that 1 to another slot, it would fail, even 3 different sets of the same memory.... I work in IT (systems admin with a very high level of hardware)

You really have something going on... Personally at this point, I would run a perfectly clean OS on it, you don't need OS factors for testing at this level. Backup, format, install Windows and do nothing with it besides testing the basics. You could always restore the image if you find the problem.
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:50 pm

I wouldn't spend anymore time troubleshooting. Do a clean install of Windows 7. If you continue to have crashes, then you know conclusively there is a hardware issue.