Change to IE 9 in WMC Via the Registry

jachin99

HTPC Specs: Show details

Change to IE 9 in WMC Via the Registry

Post by jachin99 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:07 pm

I found a post on the web archive about changing the embedded IE in WMC to IE 9. I changed mine to version 11 by entering a decimal value of 11000 in the registry key but I can't confirm anything changed. I know this is a double post but I thought others might really be interested. To confirm it works, launch a web page by either custom start menu registration or relaunch that shows what user agent your browser is reporting. Here is a link to my other post where I repost someone esle's explaination. http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 44&t=11559

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:15 pm

Are you sure this still works ? There was a security update that stopped IE working inside WMC. From what I read there was a big security issue with it. Once you update it, you can no longer view pages inside WMC.

If you use Relaunch, it closes WMC and opens the browser full screen.
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:56 pm

I looked at different security updates for WMC, and I believe the update that broke this had to do with sending malicious links through MCL files. As long as you can view the MCL file, and see what sites it points towards, then you might not need the security updates. I plan to make my own so having that vulnarbility doesn't really bother me. I have another post around here about which updates break WMC, and that has more info. If you can't launch web pages in wmc because it has been updated to not allow it, then this won't do you any good. I plan to use an old version of ehres.dll that still lets you look at pages in WMC. Even without luanching whole pages, I can't be sure in some cases, like opening a video feed, or consuming certain web requests that WMC isn't crippled by the browser capabilities it reports, or tries to use. So this still might be useful on a fully patched system but I can't be sure.