Issues with Playready and Extenders

Sammy2

HTPC Specs: Show details

Issues with Playready and Extenders

Post by Sammy2 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:02 pm

After a meltdown last weekend I got WMC working and had to reconfigure epg123 for custom guide numbering. Rather than repeat every thing again, I'm going to cross link my other thread in epg123. Please take a look and help out. I will add that all non DRM channels work fine in Emby right now, just not in WMC or its extenders (Ceton Echos).

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 46#p125746

TIA

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:55 pm

That sounds like an improvement. DRM plays in Emby. How long ago did that start happening?

Which version of PlayReady do you have installed in Installed Programs? Name date version Etc.

Which firmware do you have installed in hdhr? Just the date should be good enough.

I assume this is with a win 7 system, correct?

If you remove then add extenders what error do you get in Event Viewer/media center? Or reproduce the problem and tell us whatever you get in Event Viewer.

Another good diagnostic is the one that Ceton used all the time. Install the infinity TV4 driver, go to Diagnostics, turn on Advanced logging, then reboot. Recreate the problem that you experience so that the errors are captured by the advanced logging. Save the capture

When you think you have captured enough to catch the problem, go back into Ceton Diagnostics, turn off Advanced logging, and reboot. ( if you don't turn off the Logger will continue logging until your hard drive is full)

When you save the capture from Advanced logging, it saves as a zip. Upload attachment here, or if tgb will not approve the size of the file upload somewhere else so we can view it.

I have looked at a few of them but I am far from being considered an analyst.

Another thing you can do to see what's different between a working Win 7 and a none working Win 7 is to do the capture on both of them then use WinMerge to look at both files at the same time. WinMerge well point out the differences and makes it easier to analyze.

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:22 pm

I will do this during the next week. THANKS!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:26 pm

Crash2009 wrote:That sounds like an improvement. DRM plays in Emby. How long ago did that start happening?
Sorry to confuse. DRM doesn't play in Emby.
Crash2009 wrote:Which version of PlayReady do you have installed in Installed Programs? Name date version Etc.
It says, "Playready PC Runtime amd64; ver 1.30" but I have intel iGPU HD2400. I just uninstalled my nVidia GPU. Maybe this is my issue? Should it reference intel grapics?
Crash2009 wrote:Which firmware do you have installed in hdhr? Just the date should be good enough.
20150901latest1. I stopped there even though I put in my $30 on the kickstarter, this one just works.
Crash2009 wrote:I assume this is with a win 7 system, correct?
7x64 Pro SP1, yes.
Crash2009 wrote:If you remove then add extenders what error do you get in Event Viewer/media center? Or reproduce the problem and tell us whatever you get in Event Viewer.
I'll try this tomorrow.
Crash2009 wrote:Another good diagnostic is the one that Ceton used all the time. Install the infinity TV4 driver, go to Diagnostics, turn on Advanced logging, then reboot. Recreate the problem that you experience so that the errors are captured by the advanced logging. Save the capture

When you think you have captured enough to catch the problem, go back into Ceton Diagnostics, turn off Advanced logging, and reboot. ( if you don't turn off the Logger will continue logging until your hard drive is full)

When you save the capture from Advanced logging, it saves as a zip. Upload attachment here, or if tgb will not approve the size of the file upload somewhere else so we can view it.

I have looked at a few of them but I am far from being considered an analyst.
I didn't know you could use Ceton's utility with SilicoDust tuners? I'll look into this and report back.
Crash2009 wrote:Another thing you can do to see what's different between a working Win 7 and a none working Win 7 is to do the capture on both of them then use WinMerge to look at both files at the same time. WinMerge well point out the differences and makes it easier to analyze.
Another thing to do during this week!

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:39 pm

Quickly, gotta go to work!

On my PC, I'm seeing the exact same errors.. and I have the same version of Playready on this PC since 6/3/12. Before trying today, this PC played all DRM just fine. Maybe I need to have Spectrum reset my CableCARDs? They show as ready, even the TA in the HDHR diagnostics page.
Update Playready on PC.JPG
Unable to play PC.JPG

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:10 am

The last good HDHR (for me) was 20150826 (this is pre-kickstart)

The HDHR version you are using will take you down the HDHR/dvr path

After you fix the HDHR problem, turn OFF AutoUpdate.

The PlayReady you are using is the same as mine

Ceton's diag looks at WMC. Tuner don't matter.

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:19 am

I guess that one "snuck in"! It works so I'm good with it. I do have DVR availability I suppose yet I don't use it as I don't recall updating the F/W on the tuners themselves. I'm not interested though until they hammer out DRM and maybe not even then. Seems it's been just too long.

Good to hear about the Playready. Can you do me a favor and look in the registry under HKLM > Software > Microsoft > DRM and report what that says? Mine has a null value.

As far as the Ceton diagnostics go, you've used that with SiliconDust tuners?

In the other thread you mentioned to disable driver signing for my graphics drivers. How to do it?

Thanks!

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:09 am

My registry for DRM says "value not set"

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 2:19 am

Crash2009 wrote:My registry for DRM says "value not set"
Same with mine but it may be a path issue.. researching.

Thanks again!

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:49 pm

To be continued but I got my $50 T-Mobile AC1900 flashed to be a $100 Asus RT-AC68U with AiMesh in the meantime!

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:22 pm

Just getting back to this but I notice that the Extras Library is missing from the Menu Strip but is enabled in Settings.
Menu Strip Missing Extras.JPG
Extras Library.JPG
Could the issue be with DCA?

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:27 pm

Crash2009 wrote:
Another good diagnostic is the one that Ceton used all the time. Install the infinity TV4 driver, go to Diagnostics, turn on Advanced logging, then reboot. Recreate the problem that you experience so that the errors are captured by the advanced logging. Save the capture

The Ceton Driver / Diagnostic Tool works with Silicon Dust Tuners?

Guess you answered but I didn't read it.

Downloaded and installed to look into tomorrow.

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:30 pm

So.. Although DCA doesn't work on WMC Proper I was able to run it on an Echo extender. It is a driver issue but I'm able to watch all content, including DRM content, on extenders w/o issue.

As I use extenders everywhere I'm good to go but my anality will probably force me to work to fix the driver issue..

Last edited by Sammy2 on Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:09 pm

Does anyone have a copy of mikinho's DCA Overide or know which registry keys to adjust to make it pass? I'm pretty sure I have the latest drivers installed but haven't looked yet..

Thanks!
Last edited by Sammy2 on Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:02 pm

How do you run DCA from an extender? Is it up in the extender's Extra's?
Attachments
OverrideDigitalCableAdvisor.zip
(701 Bytes) Downloaded 46 times

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:36 pm

Crash2009 wrote:How do you run DCA from an extender? Is it up in the extender's Extra's?
Yup. That's where it was. Not sure why as I haven't seen it there before.

Thanks for the Zip; not sure where mine is but it should be on this HTPC as I used it in 2011 when first setting up this OS and just carried it forward to a new complete system.. and I mean COMPLETE.. MoBo, CPU and RAM, even the SSD. I have changed GPU though going from AMD Radeon 7780HD to nVidia HD1050 to now just iGPU intel HD5000 or whatever it is. I have installed the drivers for iGPU and they're up to date. WMC is freaking put about this I suppose..

I'll run the override when I'm back home but please clarify disabling driver signing..

THANKS!

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Tue Mar 20, 2018 2:33 pm

Been busy and haven't had the chance to run the DCA override script yet..

Just reporting in that all of my echos will connect to my HTPC/WMC no problems at all but my xBox360 will complain about not having the correct files to play back content. What files would I need on my HTPC to get an xBox360 extender to behave well?

Thanks again!

bassen

Post by bassen » Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:33 pm

Sammy2 wrote:Quickly, gotta go to work!

On my PC, I'm seeing the exact same errors.. and I have the same version of Playready on this PC since 6/3/12. Before trying today, this PC played all DRM just fine. Maybe I need to have Spectrum reset my CableCARDs? They show as ready, even the TA in the HDHR diagnostics page.
Unable to play PC.JPG
I'm having the same problem on my MAIN WMC system I don't have any extenders just three PC's
After trying many things with no luck, I took another PC that I have took a drive and did a fresh load on it.
OS loaded good (no updates yet) load drivesfor everything and for video tuner (Ceton InfiniTV 6 ETHt) etc.. all loaded fine.
started WMC and it went through everything fine. tune into one channel standard broadcast station but on cable played short time then said need update playready.
Here is the PROBLEM is it will not Update PLAYREADY
I have tried uninstalling it through control panel etc.. and tried different means that I found on different threads.
I now have two different systems having same problem, "will not update READYPLAY"
I hope I can find an answer for this from here.
Thanks for any input to problem

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:35 pm

bassen wrote:
Sammy2 wrote:Quickly, gotta go to work!

Unable to play PC.JPG
I'm having the same problem on my MAIN WMC system I don't have any extenders just three PC's
After trying many things with no luck, I took another PC that I have took a drive and did a fresh load on it.
OS loaded good (no updates yet) load drivesfor everything and for video tuner (Ceton InfiniTV 6 ETHt) etc.. all loaded fine.
started WMC and it went through everything fine. tune into one channel standard broadcast station but on cable played short time then said need update playready.
Here is the PROBLEM is it will not Update PLAYREADY
I have tried uninstalling it through control panel etc.. and tried different means that I found on different threads.
I now have two different systems having same problem, "will not update READYPLAY"
I hope I can find an answer for this from here.
Thanks for any input to problem
For whatever reason unbeknownst to me it just started working again for me eventually. Sorry I cannot help but maybe just wait it out?

No matter though as I'm going OTA soon and may just go to streaming YoutubeTV and Hulu until Philo gets an AndroidTV app for my shield or may just stick with Hulu as those channels (Scripts mainly) don't need to be watched live through Philo or Hulu Live for that matter.

I love the work Gary is doing here to keep WMC alive but it is now much cheaper to use these streaming services @ $35 + $12 = $47 a month vs $65 + tax (> $10) and license ($9 "broadcast surcharge fee which somehow YoutubeTV doesn't ding me for) for a total of $84 a month.

Even with the unbundling bump of $10 a month for internet it becomes $57 vs $84 for a savings of $27 each and every month which is $324 a year, not small change.

I may go with an antenna and a Silicon Dust HDHR Quatro though but may leave WMC behind still to take a whole system out of service and maintenance (extenders and wired Ethernet infrastructure to serve them). I can still use WMC with this but stream over WiFi through Emby as their DVR solution keeps getting better and better.

bassen

Post by bassen » Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:11 am

Other options that I have been looking at are Plex and Mediaportal as an alterative