Compatible Cards/USB

ld7

HTPC Specs: Show details

Compatible Cards/USB

Post by ld7 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:46 pm

Just wondering which Tuner Cards (Capture Cards?) are compatible with WMC for Windows 7.
I have a Dazzle Video Capture USB (v1.0) which doesn't seem to work -- even though it is capable of imputing video from TV.

I would like to turn my computer into a PVR, using WMC, so I need to know which cards are compatible. Thank you!

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:21 pm

Are you looking for a TV Tuner (This receives broadcasts from your cable company, or over the air broadcasts via an antennae) or a video capture card (This receives video signals from things like cameras, game systems, or possibly a cable box via component, RCA or HDMI cables)? If you are looking for something that will help you watch TV on your PC (PVR) then you are looking for a TV tuner. Before you go any further it would help to know about where you live, and if you subscribe to cable, who your cable company is. Most people use either HD Homerun or Ceton devices but there are others. What is your budget?

ld7

Post by ld7 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:35 pm

I just realized that I need a tuner card, to be able to scan for channels etc....
So, I'm assuming that all or most cards will be compatible with WMC... if not, if you could give me a reputable list that would be great!

I'm from Canada, using an OTA antenna. Budget: Under $200.

P.S. I may just look for alternatives to turning my PC into a PVR, if it's not worth it...

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:05 pm

Because you will be using an antenna you have quite a few options. I think the site favorite would be the HD Homerun quatro or duo( Quatro = 4 tuners = watch or record 4 channels at a time or duo = 2 tuners = 2 channels at one time). If you need transcoding, which I doubt, you could also get the connect. They all should be within your budget, and you can look them up on amazon. Here is a link to their site. https://www.silicondust.com/hdhomerun/

ld7

Post by ld7 » Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:15 pm

Thank you! :)