Something stopping metadata displaying in WMC Movie Library

Keylonta

HTPC Specs: Show details

Something stopping metadata displaying in WMC Movie Library

Post by Keylonta » Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:05 am

I have W7 installed on both my PCs, but only one will display metadata for movies in the WMC Movie Library.

I have tested by copying the same movie to each PC. Both movie folders have the same .dvdid file that contains the ID of the .xml metadata file stored at the following location on both PCs.

C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\eHome\DvdInfoCache

Does anyone have any idea what is stopping the metadata from displaying on one of my PCs?

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:06 am

On the broken w7, setup library locations again for movies. You can include movies for the working w7 as well as the broken w7

All movies have to be in a folder. Copy the DVDID in the movie folder to the non working. Example open the Superman folder on the working and copy the DVDID to the Superman folder on the broken.

Most likely setting up libraries will get you going

Much easier to simply install Ceton's MyMediaCenter. Give your brain a break press the Easy Button.

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 7#p100457M

Setup libraries

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 71#p106171

Ceton website for manual

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 554#p25488

Keylonta

Post by Keylonta » Sat Mar 10, 2018 2:30 am

I should have mentioned that I have each video file in it's own folder, I copied the "Superman" folder from the broken w7 across to the working w7 for testing.

Example: E:\Movie Library\Superman\Superman.mp4

I ran setup again on the broken w7, didn't fix it.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:12 am

Have you installed MMC on the broken Win7 ? I am pretty sure this is your quickest fix.

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:20 pm

I dont know if this helps but you can look here. https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1 ... brary.html
I have the same problem. I think if the file wasn't created by a particular PC, then WMC wont read the full metadata, I.E. as soon as you move a file it breaks.

Keylonta

Post by Keylonta » Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:28 am

jachin99 wrote:I have the same problem. I think if the file wasn't created by a particular PC, then WMC wont read the full metadata, I.E. as soon as you move a file it breaks.
@jachin99 I can confirm that I moved the movie folder containing the movie file and the .dvdid file from the broken PC to the working one. As soon as I moved it to the other PC (the working one) the metadata displayed correctly.

You could try "Media Center Movie Info" http://vistamcmovieinfo.oabsoftware.nl/ . It no longer downloads any of the movie info or covers but you can manually edit all the fields and add cover art, and when you save it it adds the cover art, .dvdid file and the .xml metadata file to the movie folder. I've tested it and the metadata displays on my working PC.

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 1:41 pm

Alrite, thanks but there might be a really simple explaination for this. If YAMM relies on the appdata folder, which is unique for each user on each machine then moving a folder even with a dvdid.xml file won't fix metadata because that metadata relies on files that aren't on the machine the movie has been moved to. This may be true on machines with or without MMC. The fix for this in my situation would be to enable file sync and point it towards each users appdata folder on my server but I believe file sync only works on server OSs. I use recordedtvhd and emby so the metadata problems aren't really visible on my machines. I think crash uses library sharing so nothing gets moved.

Keylonta

Post by Keylonta » Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:27 am

I installed Yammm and gave it a go, and to my surprise it's metadata data is displaying on the broken PC.

I checked C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\eHome for the xml files but they weren't there.

Instead Yammm stores them at the following location:

C:\ProgramData\Yammm

This would explain why both "Media Center Master" and "Media Center Movie Info" metadata is not displaying on the broken PC, because they store the xml files at the "eHome" location. The broken PC won't display metadata from the "eHome" location.

I should point out that "Media Center Master" stores the xml at "eHome" but "Media Center Movie Info" stores both the xml and the .dvdid files in the movie folder, from which at some point the xml gets copied over to the "eHome" folder. This must be why when I moved the movie folder (that I used "Media Center Movie Info" to create the metadata) to the working PC, it was able to display the metadata from the xml file in the movie folder.

What I don't understand is how WMC knows whether to look in the "eHome" location or Yammms location. For example, if I source some metadata using Yammm, and some other movies I use "Media Center Master" to source the metadata, then WMC will be displaying the xml metadata from different locations depending on which movie is selected.

Keylonta

Post by Keylonta » Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:22 am

Crash2009 wrote:Have you installed MMC on the broken Win7 ? I am pretty sure this is your quickest fix.
I haven't installed it. Will MMC fix the metadata in WMC? Or are you saying to use MMC instead of WMC?

Does MMC store the xml files at the "eHome" location? If that is the case it's not going to fix it because something is stopping "eHome" xml metadata displaying on the broken w7.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:47 am

Not sure where MMC stores the whatever....but, the developer of YAMM inserted the YAMM into MMC for Ceton. Instant Fix!

Click the first link in Post #2

Keylonta

Post by Keylonta » Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:13 am

Are you saying that MMC will fix WMCs movie library? Or is MMC a replacement for WMC?

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:23 pm

MMC is an andriod & IOS remote control app for WMC.