Copy once playback issues

aleksmarks

HTPC Specs: Show details

Copy once playback issues

Post by aleksmarks » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:08 am

I have used Windows 7 MC with a Ceton device non-stop for about 7 years now and have never had this issue. I purchased my current machine in 2013. The HDD failed in 2014 and needed to be replaced, however I was able to clone the old one to the new one and have had no problems with it since. There have been no other hardware changes, and I still have Copy Once recordings that were originally recorded on the old HDD that are still working today.

Last night I recorded 3 shows on HBO which is obviously marked Copy Once. When I got home I noticed 2 of them had no thumbnail, which didn't bother me because that happens from time to time and it usually clears itself up eventually. However, when I tried to play either of them it said "Copying Prohibited - The broadcaster prohibits this content from being copied. You can only play this content on the same computer on which it was recorded." In the end, this is not really that bad because I can watch the shows on HBO Go. But since this has never happened before, I am concerned that it could be the portent to future issues. Anyone have any idea what could be going on? By the way, the 3rd show has a thumbnail and works fine. And the MC history shows everything from last night as recorded without any interruptions. I know from reading this forum in the past that there are further (possibly more detailed?) logs elsewhere outside the MC interface, but I have never needed to know how or try to find out how to access them. How would I find those logs?

joesc

Post by joesc » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:12 pm

I've only had that happen when there was some corruption on the show recording through my Ceton. Look at the files on the recordedTV folder and see if the copy protection flag is the same for all three shows. If they are, I suggest rebooting your machine and Ceton tuner if it's external and see if that clears it up. Luckily since HBO constantly replays there shows, you can easily test.

aleksmarks

Post by aleksmarks » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:51 pm

joesc wrote:see if the copy protection flag is the same for all three shows.
It is.

I already tried rebooting. No problems since it happened. I just hope there isn't something I should do to prevent it from happening again. Is there any point to holding on to those files, for diagnostic purposes, or can I delete them?

joesc

Post by joesc » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:14 am

I'd say just delete them.