Cut the cord, goodbye WMC for now

squidboy

HTPC Specs: Show details

Cut the cord, goodbye WMC for now

Post by squidboy » Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:06 pm

So I canceled my tv service today and went with directv now. we needed another applet so it made sense since if you prepaid for 4 months of DTV, you got a free apple tv. and I don't really record mush anymore. I have enough kids shows recorded if I need anything for the kids.

With that being said, is all I have to do it remove the cable card from my ceton tuner and im good?

chaycock

Post by chaycock » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:03 pm

squidboy wrote:So I canceled my tv service today and went with directv now. we needed another applet so it made sense since if you prepaid for 4 months of DTV, you got a free apple tv. and I don't really record mush anymore. I have enough kids shows recorded if I need anything for the kids.

With that being said, is all I have to do it remove the cable card from my ceton tuner and im good?
What is it that you are asking?

cwinfield

Post by cwinfield » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:30 pm

squidboy wrote:So I canceled my tv service today and went with directv now. we needed another applet so it made sense since if you prepaid for 4 months of DTV, you got a free apple tv. and I don't really record mush anymore. I have enough kids shows recorded if I need anything for the kids.

Yes that card is essentially your STB to return.

squidboy

Post by squidboy » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:57 pm

Do I have to do anything to wmc for the tv. I’m using wmc to stream my movies that I ripped to my NAS

cwinfield

Post by cwinfield » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:44 pm

Nope, just don't expect the tuner to work or any extenders using live tv. Any other settings, recordings or libraries should be unaffected.

Bryan

Post by Bryan » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:50 pm

I'd also suggest removing the tuner (if it's internal), as I recall my Ceton ran really hot.

ZippyTheChicken

Post by ZippyTheChicken » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:45 pm

squidboy wrote:Do I have to do anything to WMC for the tv. I’m using WMC to stream my movies that I ripped to my NAS
if your movies are on a nas why are you using WMC for accessing them.. you should use an app like kodi .. it is much more efficient if you have a large library

I do this .. currently my library is on a Netgear NAS and its shared over my home wired network using SMB to my Android Boxes and then I play the files using Kodi

I am sure there is a similar solution for Apple boxes

my nas is holding 32,967 Files in 665 Folders heh

Basically i have everything on basic cable recorded .. all the reruns..
new shows aren't producing very much content anymore
I am about to follow you over to DirecTVNow but there is no way to record DTN
I have a couple Antennas installed and I can still get content off them thats new
just not Discovery Channel.. blah discovery channel .. its about the only thing I watch on cable anymore.. that and the news..
and baseball which you can't watch live without cable

but I am doing this to save money... $1200 a year just for basic cable is bulls...
that can pay my gas and water bill easily every month

Antenna gets me 52 stations .. of that about a third are ok to watch .. i get all the major networks .. so thats cool

I grew up before cable .. not a big deal for me.. i have relatives that have never had cable

anyway good luck with it

If I could get Live Baseball, FoxNews and Discovery for $5 a month on a streaming package that would be wonderful HA!
Attachments
Clipboard01.jpg