Olympics and WMC bug

Space

HTPC Specs: Show details

Olympics and WMC bug

Post by Space » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:24 am

Just wanted to make a post here to warn everyone of a bug in WMC that may affect you if you are crazy (like me) and have your WMC box set to record ALL the Olympics programming on the various NBC channels starting next week.

WMC on Win7 (not sure about other versions of Windows) using a HDHomerun Prime (perhaps other tuners?) has a bug called the "47 hour DRM bug".

This bug can cause recordings of DRM channels to loose video every 47 hours (any DRM channel that is recording when this 47 hour timer expires will stop recording video).

This timer is "reset" when any of the following events occur:
  • The WMC machine is rebooted
  • The HDHomerun Prime is rebooted (may have to reboot them all if you have more than one, not sure)
  • The WMC machine is put to sleep and re-awoken
  • 47 hours has expired, triggering the bug and resetting the timer
Since I normally have my machine go to sleep when not recording or playing back recordings, I normally don't have to worry about this bug. However, during the Olympics, the machine is usually on 24/7 for two weeks, so the timer never gets reset without triggering the bug

If you are not recording any DRM channels during this period, then you can ignore this warning. However if you are, then you may want to keep an eye out for this issue, and maybe put the WMC machine to sleep/wakeup or reboot the Prime at least once a day to avoid the problem. NBC is not making this easy, since there is pretty much 24/7 Olympics programming for the entire 2-week period.

There is a longer explanation of this bug and a link to a thread that discusses it further here:
http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 34#p105234

That thread links to a thread with a script that will automatically reboot the Prime for you to avoid this bug, but it will only do it if WMC is not recording, so it will not work in this situation (since WMC will always be recording the Olympics).

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:15 pm

Huh.

My 7MC machine NEVER sleeps. Ever.

And back when I had cableCARD, I recorded quite a lot of stuff. And I never experienced this, ever.

I didn't use HDHR Prime. I used Ceton's 4PCIe.

I cannot imagine that this is a generic 7MC issue. This must be a specific set of circumstances.

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:55 pm

adam1991 wrote:Huh. And I never experienced this, ever. I didn't use HDHR Prime. I used Ceton's 4PCIe.
The bug only appears with the HDHR Prime.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

UCBearcat

Post by UCBearcat » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:26 am

Wow - what a trip down memory lane. I can't believe that it has been 4 years since we had that discussion. Where does the time go?

P.S. I just saw Space's signature and got a good chuckle out of it.