Morning startup playing a recorded program

dbarker0814

HTPC Specs: Show details

Morning startup playing a recorded program

Post by dbarker0814 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:39 pm

Hey all,

I've been using the forum for a long time as a reader to find out what's possible with WMC. Despite the fact that MS pulled the plug on it, I still believe it is far and away the best media center package available (especially paired with my HDHomeRun Prime).

My goal is the create a command line scheduled task to start playback of a recording every morning. Specifically, I want to watch a show that I record everday, and have it play the next morning on startup. My TV already has a wake up timer, so it starts up no problem, but I can't get WMC to play files without a weird security prompt, which of course means I won't hear or see my program.

Here's what I've tried for a scheduled task, just using a specific file for simplicity:

Code: Select all

ehshell.exe /url:"D:\Recorded TV\Car Fix_VEL_2018_01_29_07_30_01.wtv"
But I always Get the prompt:
wmc_error.png
I hope to use this like an alarm, obviously it's not working because it just hits that prompt and waits for input.

Does anyone know how to launch a recorded program full screen using the file path with out being prompted?

dbarker0814

Post by dbarker0814 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:04 pm

LOL,

Sometimes it's just a matter of messing around to figure it out. In this case, the problem is the use of the "/URL:" flag, which as it turns out, isn't necessary. The following works fine:

Code: Select all

ehshell.exe "D:\Recorded TV\Car Fix_VEL_2018_01_29_07_30_01.wtv"

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:48 pm

It is kind of interesting that you had to remove the url flag to get it to work. I wonder if it would be the same way for playing from a web feed.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:23 pm

jachin99 wrote:It is kind of interesting that you had to remove the url flag to get it to work. I wonder if it would be the same way for playing from a web feed.
It was kind of like the problem with the Amazon plugin. With a update Microsoft blocked URL's in WMC.... If you tried to install the app, with the update installed (by the way it's standard WMC update) it blocks webpages inside WMC....

A lot of older apps depended on that and I can totally see why having the /URL caused a security error..
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:25 pm

David, there are a few ways around this update. One option is to figure out which updates apply to ehres and not apply them or you can apply the update and swap out ehres for an older not updated version. I think windows will check if the update is applied rather than check the version of ehres if that makes sense. I think when windows sees the applied update it won't mess with the older swapped out ehres file.