What am I missing out on with 32 bit Win 7

cwinfield

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by cwinfield » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:42 pm

jachin99 wrote:I checked a few things on the machine. Windows is activated, and I have downloaded and installed the DCA from the wiki links. When try to run the DCA from extras, WMC tells me I have no internet connection. I do have internet and I tried setting the connection type to always on but had no luck. I have downloaded all important updates. The only thing k left that I can think of is I'm not connected to an hdcp compliant display. Is there a way to manually ru. The DCA outside of WMC?
I ran into the same issue this week when I was setting up a hyper-v windows 7 VM. I just used an external install for DCA, then ran the registry override batch file http://rricketts.com/digital-cable-advi ... -override/ . Not sure if it's Microsoft ineptitude or shenanigans, but normally DCA shows up after the first round of Microsoft updates. I did run the setup for internet connection inside WMC which showed connection but when going to extras gallery to download it was saying no internet connection. One reason I may not have run into this before is according to the link, Ceton driver install has it included. In the past I installed drivers for that tuner before trying to setup WMC. Another thing to mention is you may have to go into it in extras (not extra gallery) and attempt to run once before the override will work.

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:06 pm

I have the DCA override. I was under the impression that you have to successfully run the DCA in order to use the override. I thought the DCA had to run and fail.

cwinfield

Post by cwinfield » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:11 pm

did you download DCA? If so you should be able to open it in extras? Yes, in order for the override to work for me I had to open the program and ended up canceling because it was unresponsive.

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:09 pm

I downloaded it but wmc isn't seeing it. Do I have to move it to a particular folder

cwinfield

Post by cwinfield » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:25 pm

jachin99 wrote:I downloaded it but WMC isn't seeing it. Do I have to move it to a particular folder
not that I'm aware of... it's not in extras? You could try the ceton installer and see if it shows up. http://update.cetoncorp.com/get/infinit ... est/stable

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:53 pm

To clear things up, I had to run the DCA with wmc in fullscreen

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:01 pm

It is a good habit to run Setup Custom on EVERY new build. Eventually it becomes routine. Here is a link to all 40 steps. I always run Setup in full screen And displayed on the screen that WMC calls home. Setup Display will only run if WMC is in full screen.

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 51#p106151

Another good habit is to install PlayReady, DCA, and LAV into Windows, as a first step....yes, even before opening WMC for the first time.

Both of these tips help to avoid complications during configuration.

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:18 am

Thanks. What is funny is that I have set this up so many times before while in fullscreen without even realizing it matters

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:08 am

And I have configured WMC many times while in "windowed mode". Setup Display is the only one that requires full screen. As a matter of fact Setup Display will even offer to go full screen for you.

You need to practice more.... :mrgreen:

Once you get a solid build, do a backup. If it breaks, the Restore Button is easier than a rebuild.

I usually max out the size of of the Windows Restore Point Drive Space I do several during a build...

1) Virgin WMC
2) Working Tuner
3) Complete

jachin99

Post by jachin99 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:40 pm

Oh no. I need less practice at this but I keep finding eBay deals so I guess it can't be too bad. I replaced the bios battery and it seems like everything works. I need to find a copy of office 2007 next so I can try these mail plugins

mercalia

Post by mercalia » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:37 pm

when I downloaded tv shows and kept the pc in standby and had an old hd boot disc I found having 8 Gb of memory made the Media Browswer plugin run smoother as the art work was stored in the memoery cache I think. Since having an ssd boot disc I dont think this is so important